Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM

20 posts, read 74,163 times

Advertisements

I saw a house that I would consider buying but it has a sloped driveway angled downward toward a garage. I know when I have seen houses like these, in the past, I always wondered if the basements flood.

Would you even consider a house that has a sloped angled driveway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I wouldn't. A few years ago, maybe 6 years ago we had a huge rainstorm that parked itself over Garden City and it rained like 4 inches in an hour or something like that. The streets were like rivers, people who lived there for 50 years saw streets flooding that had never experienced it before, basements, etc.

Anyway there is this one street that is kind of in a valley and it totally flooded, F.D. had to come rescue people from cars. One house had one of those angled driveways and it totally flooded the basement - they were the only people on that block that had everything down there ruined. Everything was out on the front lawn for days afterward.

We looked at a house here that was like that and I just couldn't do it. Some other people bought it and they installed a Frech drain within the first year.

If you buy a house like that you need to flat out ask, what happens when it rains? HAve you EVER had water in? And review the drainage and make sure your inspector does too.

Aside from all that looking UP at the street doesn't appeal to me at all.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:23 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
We had a house like that when I was growing up. At the bottom of the drive before you entered the garage was a 9 inch wide grate spanning the width of the driveway. Dad was always making sure it was clear of clutter.

Never flooded. The garage was used primarily for storage as my mother was too scared to drive down the driveway and Dad couldn't be bothered. I, on the other hand, thought it was quite fun to slide down during our snowy winters (remember those on LI???) on a cafeteria tray when the snow wasn't too deep.

From the garage there were two steps up into the basement.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,606 times
As long as it has a proper drain system, there should be no worries. No drain? No sale.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 40,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I, on the other hand, thought it was quite fun to slide down during our snowy winters
I always wonder how people park their vehicles in these driveways during winter when it is icy... Looks like the vehicle will slide either into your house/garage, or back into the street depending on which way it is angled.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:36 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
We had a flat driveway from the street, then it sloped down the "hill" to the garage underneath the house.

I can only recall my mother's car being parked in the garage due to snow a couple of times in 3 years when anticipated accumulation was going to be more than 8 inches or so. Dad's car would be parked in the driveway.

Dad and I would clear the driveway - he'd drive mother's car up to the flat of the drive... and he'd go off to work. Snow - heavy or not.. back then... just wasn't that big of a deal as it has become over the years. Perhaps it's because most cars were big and heavy, people used snow tires and chains back then....I don't know.

I don't recall having a snow day from school until around 1967 on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island