Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:22 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,856,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
You bring up good points and got me thinking about getting an umbrella policy. I currently got 100/300 but knowing how blood sucking lawyers are today they'll do anything to milk your insurance company. 100k can easily be tapped per person if you have a bad enough accident.
It would have to be quite bad to get to $100K, but once you get there you are probably going over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 AM

106,861 posts, read 109,114,600 times
interesting story and something to think about .

my brother in law was hit on a motorcycle going straight when a guy making a left decided the guy in front of him didn't turn fast enough so he made his left while the guy in front still waited .

so he hit my brother in-law .he was badly bruised and needed pins in his wrist .

my brother in-laws attorney wanted to settle for the policy limit which was 100k .

allstate said no and offered a very low sum .

well it went to trial and the day of the trial allstate offered the limit of the policy but since they were already at court my brother in-law's lawyer said they would risk the trial .

well, the judge looked at the facts and deemed the driver 100% at fault and said he committed a violation by having to cross the double yellow line to make the left with the other car still waiting in front of him .

so he told the jury just decide on an award , not the liability since that issue was already decided by him .

jury awarded 150k . policy limit was 100k. the driver was now personally liable and he voiced his intent to sue allstate for the difference since they refused to settle for the 100k initially .

allstate finally agreed to pick up the overage so they picked up the entire bill .

Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,409,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

my brother in law was hit on a motorcycle going straight when a guy making a left decided the guy in front of him didn't turn fast enough so he made his left while the guy in front still waited .

so he hit my brother in-law .he was badly bruised and needed pins in his wrist .

my brother in-laws attorney wanted to settle for the policy limit which was 100k .

well it went to trial and the day of the trial allstate offered the limit of the policy but since they were already at court my brother in-law's lawyer said they would risk the trial .

well, the judge looked at the facts and deemed the driver 100% at fault and said he committed a violation by having to cross the double yellow line to make the left with the other car still waiting in front of him .

so he told the jury just decide on an award , not the liability since that issue was already decided by him .

jury awarded 150k . policy limit was 100k. the driver was now personally liable and he voiced his intent to sue allstate for the difference since they refused to settle for the 100k initially .

allstate finally agreed to pick up the overage so they picked up the entire bill .
Wow that's crazy. I think that jacka$$ driver should have paid the $50k out of pocket. He was at fault for the accident and because he was impatient he almost killed a fellow motorist.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM

well; the jury felt that way too . but the insurer felt in this case they were responsible for letting their client get caught in this when they refused to settle originally for the policy . the fact that the insurer ended up offering the policy the morning of the trial put them in a bad spot

rather than have their client sue them they decided to just pay the overage .

the judge said to my brother inlaw what is typical is the insurer will now offer you a bit less or threaten to appeal it costing him more in bills .

that is just what happened , they offered 130k and said no appeal if they take it . my brother inlaws attorney said take it so they did .

Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 AM

8,701 posts, read 11,101,345 times
Quote:

funny, you already told the story in post #4 in 2012...this very thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It would have to be quite bad to get to $100K, but once you get there you are probably going over.
100k in medical bills is nothing. Some dummy once slipped on snow in front of my parent's house during a blizzard.....hospital bill was 60K...easily.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
funny, you already told the story in post #4 in 2012...this very thread
YEP ,, it is a story worth repeating . there are so many factors to it .

one good thing is when you tell the truth you don't need a good memory , ha ha ha.

i can't believe you read that far back in the thread . i hang up the phone or get put on hold and i can't remember who i was talking to .

Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
YEP ,, it is a story worth repeating . there are so many factors to it .

one good thing is when you tell the truth you don't need a good memory , ha ha ha

Old 01-24-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
100k in medical bills is nothing. Some dummy once slipped on snow in front of my parent's house during a blizzard.....hospital bill was 60K...easily.
my co-worker had someone who visited his tenant cut across his lawn instead of the walkway in the dark .the visitor broke her ankle when she tripped over an oil filler pipe .

she should never have been on his lawn in the first place . she got 40k

Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,856,332 times
Quote:

Allstate does some very odd things for a big insurer. A motorcyclist does not have to pierce NY's "verbal Threshold" for serious injuries - they are an "automatic breach" - that is the only scenario where if you have a plaintiff attorney who says they will settle for the policy you race to cut the check.

I've known a few people who were left hanging by Allstate in cases that were real head scratchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island