Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
Finally, many men (and some women) are very competitive, and they compete by acquiring expensive things (like homes) in expensive areas.
Or to acquire valued customer status at Emperors Club VIP. Men love to work hard and play hard, and have the trophies to show for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
WTF? I didn't realize high taxes = long /hours commute as well. Try to stick to one gripe at a time.
Actually, they are all linked into the standard of living on LI.... High COL usually means a commute into the city for most, which means long, long commutes on the beautiful LIRR. Jobs in the city have usually paid more, much more than those on LI. In fact, most large LI employers, who are still here on LI, are looking for bargains. Bargains from the politicians in the form of tax abatements and utility credits. This bargain hunting includes hiring professionals are deep discount.

So, for lot's of us, the high COL means a long commute to/from a 10-12 hour work-day in the city.

I did this when I was younger, but it's game over now that I'm wiser and older.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
When we were younger with little children I was driven to earn the most to have the newest,best and most up to date "stuff". In hindsight what I missed out on was a "home". A house is only a house but a home is something you build from within.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,878 times
Everyone is different - with respect to their emotional and family needs - and so the opinions you will receive here are likely to run the gamut. Additionally, irrespective of subject matter, you'll find that people tend to spend a lot of time justifying their actions/decisions - I think this is just part of human nature. I've often surmised that those in power know that the average person is a prisoner to their emotions and employer and as such will take untold amounts of financial/COL abuse before mustering up the strength to move somewhere else.

On a personal level, we've reached our line in the sand and have decided to leave while we are still young enough to tackle the challenge. Half our family has long since left the area and the half that remains we primarily see for major holidays/family milestones. Yes, the familiarity of a place we have called home for 30-40 years is very comforting - but had our grandparents not given up that very same comfort and immigrated here 100 years ago - we wouldn't have had the opportunity to call the greatest country in the world home.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
I went from working a crappy job an hours drive away to a much better paying job 20 minutes away a few years back. I would never go back to that length of commute unless forced to by a job loss, or if the pay was so much more that I'd be able to retire in 5 years. Not likely.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 39,002 times
I think the question my husband is trying to ask is "Is the increased COL worth being close to family?". It is very subjective. Only we can answer that. How much does it mean to have a lot of family close by? Can you really put a price on that? As a kid, I would not have traded being close by to my cousins for more "stuff". Also, who says that we would be worse off on Long Island anyway? We may do better there than here. IDK....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island