Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times

Advertisements

Well, that was unexpected:
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...dent-1.4048216
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
I'd rather be a great student at a mediocre school than a mediocre student at a great school.
What I mean to say is a school's prestige and reputation are meaningless it's what one learns that counts.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,410 times
Wink Dowling College

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyulove View Post
I recently saw this article on Newsday about Dowling:
Dowling College struggles with enrollment, finances

I know a lot of people who either attended school there or worked there. I never knew it was that bad. Someone once told me St. Johns or Stony Brook was going to buy them out and extend an education program. Anyone know of things going on at Dowling?
Only reason my son went to Dowling in Long Island was to be educated in the Aviation Program that Dowling is certified to do for Air Traffic Control. He loved the simulators and had a wonderful experience as far as that is concerned....The 'brookhaven' campus where the airfields are - they are typical apartments - two bedroom/kitchen living area/one bathroom for four people which i thought was tight. We were told - and this never happened - that the 'aviation majors - ATC/pilots, etc. are all housed in brookhaven and no one else. Yeah, right. My son videoed the 'in the hood gangs' in his buildings having fights every weekend, and police had to constantly break things up. Nice, right? I think aviation is the only side of Dowling that is keeping it afloat for now....

Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
The most I know about Hofstra is that their law school is a very good one, maybe Top 100, I want to say. Don't quote me on that. I know two people who have had great success after graduating from Hofstra law school. One is making well into the six figures today.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Hofstra's law school grads have a really, really high unemployment rate right now. For what the law school costs, it's an utter rip-off. (FYI, in law school world, "Top 100" is actually pretty terrible - for a law school to be considered "very good," it needs to be in the Top 20 at worst.)

Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
Law school in general is a bad idea right now. My brother in law is having a hard time finding a job, he's currently working two of them with crazy schedules. My sister is a a hairdresser, a nice skilled field, and she is making more money then him right now.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 AM

45 posts, read 88,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyulove View Post
Thatguyulove it is no surprise that Dowling lost yet ANOTHER president. They go through presidents the way people go through turnstyles, that is how bad things are at Dowling College. There is a reason this is happening and there is a reason why this school's transfer and dropout rate is so insanely high. I should know I used to go to that horrible place, until I just couldn't take getting screwed over by the school any longer and decided to just drop out. Believe me even if I graduated I wouldn't have been better off, the school would've never helped me get a job as they have no connections to any great paying jobs. Honestly once any future employers that I would seek work from saw what nonsense classes I took while I was there they would've looked right past me and said NEXT! If you want to know more about how terrible that school really is, and why the school is on the verge of bankruptcy I'd be more than happy to tell you.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I'm not sure how Stony Brook is suddenly becoming a top school. I find it very disappointing that all they had to do was build a stadium and get to Division I status to be considered a good university.
Regardless of what you majored in you were just a face in the crowd of hundreds that the professor has no time to deal with, so he/she sent their teaching assistants who were still learning english to help you and the other 80-90 students, each with a different question and only offered internships on studies that did nothing to help you in the real world but wouldn't even consider you if your GPA was below a 3.5.
Although other schools are more expensive, they offered smaller classes and one on one time with the actual professor who was teaching the class. Granted, not all schools had stellar programs but at least you learned and didn't just memorize useless facts.
And yes, this is coming from a SUNY SB graduate from over 10 years ago.
I have a BE EE from SBU and I can tell you that a SBU does not hold your hand and coddle you. If you want that, go to Farmingdale or Suffolk. When I was working as an EE, I definitely noticed a huge difference in SBU grads, they were the kind who could work on their own and figure things out. We did call SBU the "do it yourself university".

Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I started their rowing program in 1988... and was their first coach. Somebody at my rowing club out here said that Dowling was in serious trouble, so I googled it and wound up here.

My observations back in the late 1980's and early 1990s was that it operated like a small fiefdom/kleptocracy (...and that's all I will say...)

The School actually had some very good programs, with dedicated teaching staff.
Kind of sad that they are in financial trouble, but I saw it coming way back then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island