Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,012 times

Advertisements

I recently saw this article on Newsday about Dowling:
Dowling College struggles with enrollment, finances

I know a lot of people who either attended school there or worked there. I never knew it was that bad. Someone once told me St. Johns or Stony Brook was going to buy them out and extend an education program. Anyone know of things going on at Dowling?

Last edited by thatguyulove; 09-17-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,313,620 times
It wouldn't surprise me at all that they're struggling from lower enrollment.The tuition there is waaaaaaaay too much for a school with such little prestige: it doesn't even have a US News Ranking. Long Island is overflowing with ultra-expensive colleges with little to no prestige.

Stony Brook University and Hofstra University are the only reputable colleges in Nassau&Suffolk and even with that being said, Hofstra is still way too overpriced for what it's worth.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-17-2012 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,940,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all that they're struggling from lower enrollment.The tuition there is waaaaaaaay too much for a school with such little prestige: it doesn't even have a US News Ranking. Long Island is overflowing with ultra-expensive colleges with little to no prestige.

Stony Brook University and Hofstra University are the only reputable colleges in Nassau&Suffolk and even with that being said, Hofstra is still way too overpriced for what it's worth.
I have no pony in this show ring as I did not attend college on LI, however, I think the Hofstra comment is off, as they have just opened a new Medical school there. If it did not already have enough prestige is certainly will in a few years. As far as SB goes I have heard only good things about them also.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have no pony in this show ring as I did not attend college on LI, however, I think the Hofstra comment is off, as they have just opened a new Medical school there. If it did not already have enough prestige is certainly will in a few years. As far as SB goes I have heard only good things about them also.
Hofstra is a fairly reputable school. I never disputed that and that's why I highlited it.

But my point is that Hofstra is not nearly as reputable enough to deserve to be priced at where they're at right now. Hofstra tuition is 35k a year+potential 15k room and board and it's not worth all that much money for what it is. There are FAR more reputable schools that are only a fraction of the cost of Hofstra.It also has a very low US news ranking and a less selective acceptance rate {Stony Brook is only 6k a year but outperforms Hofstra in most measures.} Yes, Hofstra has a new medical building but countless colleges are expanding and adding many features to their campuses.

I have nothing against Hofstra students or alumni but it is what it is. It's a very beautiful campus though.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Hofstra is a fairly reputable school. I never disputed that and that's why I highlited them.

But my point is that Hofstra is not nearly as reputable enough to deserve to be priced at where they're at right now. Hofstra tuition is 35k a year+potential 15k room and board and it's not worth all that much money for what it is. There are FAR more reputable schools that are only a fraction of the cost of Hofstra.It also has a very low US news ranking and a less selective acceptance rate {Stony Brook is only 6k a year but outperforms Hofstra in most measures.} Yes, Hofstra has a new medical building but countless colleges are expanding and adding many features to their campuses.

I have nothing against Hofstra students or alumni but it is what it is. It's a very beautiful campus too.
I think the point is proven when Hofstra is not even as reputable as SB, a public school at half the price. When a $35k private university is clearly a lesser option than U. Buffalo and Stony Brook, it's clearly a rip off. The medical school, a good thing, losing the football program...dumb.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,940,750 times
In that vein, IMO, there is not a college out there that is worth the amount of money they are charging, excluding the individual state colleges. Before I set off a firestorm of responses that the prestige of a Harvard, for example, opens many doors etc. that is not my point. My point is just like everything else, part of the reason that cost are so high is due to the benefits and pensions that need to be paid for the professors, staff etc.

Not only do we have students that are in college loan debt and unable to get a job. We also have parents in hock for them. It is indeed a sad state of affairs.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:24 AM

659 posts, read 2,508,774 times
I would have to agree that Hofstra is not elite. It is a nice university, but not prestigious. I would say that both Adelphi and Hofstra are reputable along with St. John's, but Stonybrook is in a different league.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,112,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I think the point is proven when Hofstra is not even as reputable as SB, a public school at half the price. When a $35k private university is clearly a lesser option than U. Buffalo and Stony Brook, it's clearly a rip off. The medical school, a good thing, losing the football program...dumb.
It looks like Farmingdale ranks higher. Go Rams!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM

I would say the higher education Hiarchy of Nassau&Suffolk schools looks like this-

Top Schools:
+ [None on Long Island] (ex: Cornell, Yale, Columbia and possibly NYU)

Great Schools:
+ [None on Long Island] (ex: Fordham, Fairfield U, Rutgers-New Brunswick)

Good Schools:
+ Stony Brook University

Decent Schools:
+ Hofstra University
+ Adelphi University

Half-Decent Schools:
+ SUNY Farmingdale
+ Molloy College

And then...
+ St. Joseph's College
+ LIU-CW Post
+ SUNY Old Westbury

Then you have the rest... (Of course the accredited schools are above the unaccredited schools) and of course things somewhat vary on the major the student is taking too

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-18-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM

47 posts, read 80,506 times
Adelphi is not in the same league as Hofstra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island