Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

I notice a consistant common theme is people miss family. For me that works out because we have always enjoyed maintaining a multi-state buffer away from family, close enough to visit yet far enough away so they don't show up unannounced....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Nope, no regrets. My kids haven't expressed any complaints. They were moved pretty young though....I'm not sure how much they would be able to express their regrets - kids adapt and move on pretty quickly. They have it great down here - go all over the neighborhood to their friends' houses, to the pool in our neighborhood, Oktoberfest in the fall, holiday party in December (even in NC we have to say HOLIDAY PARTY not CHRISTMAS PARTY) 4th of July at neighborhood pool, etc etc. When we go back to NY they never express any sense of loss and generally their comments are along the lines of "why is it so dirty here?" We always seem to either have some sort of mishap while we are visiting or get stuck in just epic amounts of traffic so I think that affects them too. It's really been kind of funny.

My family is here which probably helps, although my dad is sure "this place is getting to be just like New York!" he's a bit of a curmudgeon though.

In all honesty, my older kids were very upset about moving. They really didn't want to move. The youngest didn't seem to care. In fact, she was pretty excited to be moving near my sisters and her cousins. But they older two adjusted quickly once school started. They were super nervous till school started but they came home on the first day with friends.

Last edited by twingles; 09-19-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:19 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
All of my siblings migrated to the south (20-30 years ago) and raised their families there. I'm not speaking for them - but while I know they enjoy coming back every few years for a weekend visit - I have never heard any of them say they regret leaving, wish they could move back, or miss anything about LI. This place is simply a part of their past and they leave it at that.

I don't think that anyone who has moved away from LI can honestly answer the OP's question without having lived in their new home for AT LEAST as long as they lived here. Developing an emotional attachment to a new area is not something that happens overnight - it happens through living day-to-day life and cherishing the memories that that creates over time.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by SouthBound3; 09-19-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:20 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Bigmike- I'm looking to learn how transplants' kids feel on a move from LI..That's all. There are many positive comments from the adults making the move, but people never really discuss how their kids feel. Just wondering if it's all puffery or not, and looking for honest feedback. Fair enough?
Think it depends on their age, Peq. My kids just started middle school - I always knew that would be a bad time to move but now that they are there I can really see how bad it would be. It's just such a huge adjustment in addition to everything that is going on in their lives at that age. When we moved our kids were going into 4th grade and 1st grade. We knew it was "now or never".

It also helps that there are CONSTANTLY kids moving in where we live. When we moved both of my 4th grades were one of handful of new kids in each of their classes. In elementary school it is very easy to assimilate. In middle school, kids come from several different schools. If you are new, kids from School A may think you're from School B, and kids from School B may think you are from School A.

My sister moved here when my nephew was starting HS. Honestly, she said if he had really balked they might not have moved. But he was fine with it. He had a great HS experience here and is now in college. At that age, I think it helps if your kid has some interests where they can easily meet other kids. For him, it was music.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 PM

156 posts, read 309,497 times
I'm originally from NYC and I regret moving TO Long Island. I can no longer tolerate the Long Island attitude. I honestly don't know what is worse...the parents or the kids on LI.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angevoss View Post
My parents moved us off the Island when my brother and I were teenagers. We always resented it. Now as adults, my brother is heading back next week, and my husband and I are considering moving back ourselves when he finishes with school. Although the COL is high, as I look back I would not have traded my Long Island upbrining with family close by for more "stuff" living elsewhere. Hope this helps
My parents moved me onto the Island when I was a teenager. Not something I applauded.

My girlfriend lives there, has all her life. And there are many nice people there; I enjoy visiting, occasionally. But I wouldn't move back there, not ever. Not at double my current salary.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
My parents moved me onto the Island when I was a teenager. Not something I applauded.

My girlfriend lives there, has all her life. And there are many nice people there; I enjoy visiting, occasionally. But I wouldn't move back there, not ever. Not at double my current salary.
Which you won't get much more pay on LI than in NYC ... unless you are a cop or teacher. (I added that for BM.)

Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
I miss L.I. very much, my family, the food and the beach! My eldest son (soon to be 24) misses his friends and his home town.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 35,002 times
I moved down south at age 12 and found the schools to be far behind what I was learning on LI. The overly religious atmosphere made me uncomfortable, too. As soon as HS was over I came back to LI (by choice) and don't really see myself leaving.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,650,469 times
Miss: salt water in the air/casual drive down the causeway; bakeries; hero sandwiches; Family/Friends (of course .

Don't miss: Insane COL; Insane congestion; rat race; dour attitudes; takes forever and an arm and a leg to get off of the Island; politicians whose attitude is: "it stinks, but there's nothing we can do to fix it"

Sans my Family/Friends, the negatives of LI FAR outweigh the positives. Can't see going back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island