Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times

Advertisements

Do you or your kids regret moving from LI? And if so, what did you/they miss about it?

This is for Expats and anyone else who wants to throw in their 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:07 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,394 times
Most of my family members who are in their 20-30s have moved off Long Island. My family is originally from Queens and we moved to Colorado.

It's a different world now, people are moving around. Unlike years ago, it's easy to keep contact with family members and friends though Skype, Facebook, e-mail, texting, etc. so moving isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

The biggest problem with Long Island is the extremely high COL and congestion. As what was discussed in another thread people like land, newer housing stock, and more modern infrastructure. Long Island doesn't have that.

There is also a trend for younger people (particularly people in their 20s) to live in big cities now, sometimes being referred to as "yuppies."

Long Island isn't a bad place don't get me wrong. But when you think about it what does Long Island have to offer that suburbs or regions of other bigger metros don't have.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,652 times
I'll bite. No regrets. That's not to say I don't like the Island or my Island roots, but for us it worked out. But then my first job down here was with a bunch of Island ex-pats.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:12 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Bigmike- I'm looking to learn how transplants' kids feel on a move from LI..That's all. There are many positive comments from the adults making the move, but people never really discuss how their kids feel. Just wondering if it's all puffery or not, and looking for honest feedback. Fair enough?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
My daughter and I moved from Long Island to Santa Cruz about three years ago and she hated California and moved back to LI leaving me sort of stranded in Paradise. Although I loved so many things about California, I am very homesick. I miss my daughter and my family very much , but my house in CA has still not sold so I am just up here in Boston temporarily.

The minute my house sells, I will get a tiny condo (I can not afford the house I left) and move back to the place where I lived for over sixty years. I will join the library that I visited as a five year old. I can't wait. I even watch The Long Island Medium just to see good old Long Island scenery & yes , to hear the accents (which are nothing like the ones here in Boston).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Bigmike- I'm looking to learn how transplants' kids feel on a move from LI..That's all. There are many positive comments from the adults making the move, but people never really discuss how their kids feel. Just wondering if it's all puffery or not, and looking for honest feedback. Fair enough?
TBH You're not going to get many responses from the kids on here. Are you going to take my word for them?

If so they're are doing wonderful but you probably knew I was going to say that anyway

Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 PM

426 posts, read 960,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
My daughter and I moved from Long Island to Santa Cruz about three years ago and she hated California and moved back to LI leaving me sort of stranded in Paradise. Although I loved so many things about California, I am very homesick. I miss my daughter and my family very much , but my house in CA has still not sold so I am just up here in Boston temporarily.

The minute my house sells, I will get a tiny condo (I can not afford the house I left) and move back to the place where I lived for over sixty years. I will join the library that I visited as a five year old. I can't wait. I even watch The Long Island Medium just to see good old Long Island scenery & yes , to hear the accents (which are nothing like the ones here in Boston).
Why didn't your daughter like California? Warm sunny weather, no cold winters really, the major cities have lots to do (just like NY?)

Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM

7 posts, read 19,096 times
I moved off the Island 10 years ago and was able to accomplish what I set out to do: job, education, house and social life. But I have to be honest, I miss LI. I have been back numerous times to visit and I see that crime, congestion and taxes are much worse but the ole girl still has the best food, entertainment, natural beauty and, that aromatic scent rising up of the water. Not sure if I'll move back but I am giving it some serious contemplation.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 AM

22 posts, read 38,999 times
My parents moved us off the Island when my brother and I were teenagers. We always resented it. Now as adults, my brother is heading back next week, and my husband and I are considering moving back ourselves when he finishes with school. Although the COL is high, as I look back I would not have traded my Long Island upbrining with family close by for more "stuff" living elsewhere. Hope this helps

Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
We are only gone a few months. But my kids are so so happy. They miss their school friends but not their school. My kids are 12 and 13 and did go to catholic school on the island and now are in public. I dont know if it is the freedom of the school but they really love it. They can walk to friends houses here, they havent stopped asking me if they can go to certain social functions with their new friends.
As for school grades ; one son is getting all 100's in each subject. In his old school while he was an A and B student, it was harder to get those grades. My other son was getting resource and B's were a struggle for him. Here he is getting B's. We are in one of the top 5 schools in western pa.

Do I miss LI ; I miss the money. Neither dh and I are working but we are very busy and I just came back from a trip to Ireland as my mil is in hospital. Dh is going iin a few weeks. I dont miss the anger of people.

My older son still loves NYC ; that will be a love forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island