Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times

Advertisements

Where are the 55+ apartments in ToH located? I know ToNH has many and from what I heard the restaurants opposite Target are going to be moved to the Source Mall to allow the land to be developed for more 55+ apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Then she's making a better argument to her voters than the Lighthouse project proponents are. I'm not a fan of Kate, but Wang's original LH Project was over the top in my opinion. 36 story towers, an arena for a team that does't draw to capacity and more people living in a small area may have sunk the LHP as much as the NIMBYs. Did Wang really believe that he could fill one tower, much less two? Did he think the fish would fill a new rink night after night? Don't get me wrong, Kate's plan is just as bad but at least more sellable to the voter. At this point in time, do Long Islanders want Hempstead to be a medium sized city or is there a third option that they want that Wang and Kate both missed?

New York Islanders Adrift: A 14,500 Seat Arena May Just Be The Right Size For The Islanders
Fair enough. Good points, but Kate didn't campaign on this and we didn't get to vote on the Lighthouse Project. ToH just obstructed it, period. Of course the plan was over the top. Who cares, we weren't paying. Who cares if it's empty if we're not holding the bag. They would be paying the 99 year lease even if they were losing $. If the Islanders have one winning season they will fill 15k easily. I think the project was too big, but Hofstra and NCCC didn't seem to mind. ToH is notorious for obstructing ALL development that doesn't fit a very narrow and unambitious niche of 55+ apts/condos and chain stores. We have such a good credit rating (which is what she ALWAYS campaigns on) because they don't DO anything, except recycle lightbulbs and brick pave a sidewalk here and there. They do not court business development, they impede it. They fantasize of unlimited homeowner money to keep the patronage mill moving without jeopardizing votes. The only way they will wake up is to vote them out but the old school nostalgic Nimby cuckoos never will.

That third option is what we're getting. The voters vote against paying, Wang and Rechler say "bite me, we're done", Nassau scrambles to do something that might make a few bucks, weeds grow in the vacant asbestos dump of a coliseum, islanders move and Kate smiles and waves like the 1950's bureaucratic automaton she fancies herself. Protector of the vacant dump in the name of "unique suburban character." These days, even unique suburbs have offices, buildings, pro sports and pockets of dense housing if they want to survive.

Last edited by mongoose65; 09-25-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 08:48 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
But that may be what the citizens of ToH really want. I remember when the Island was a powerhouse with all kinds of business, large and small, everywhere you looked. These days though it seems that people want the Island to be just a bedroom community for NYC, and if that's the case then there really isn't much need of any kind of business outside of the service sector.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
It takes government and citizens working together to create a climate that's favorable for businesses to flourish. Granted, Lighthouse wasn't perfect (although them might have been able to sell lots of condos to foreigners moving their wealth away from Europe and Argentina), alternative avenues could always be explored. But when politicians are incapable and citizens are unwilling, then nothing good for business will happen.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Shocking that those Boomers would vote for those affordable 55 & over homes so they can stay on the Island rather than a hockey rink.
Well if you know so much better, do tell us the reasons Kate Murray keeps winning elections when she is a disaster.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Fair enough. Good points, but Kate didn't campaign on this and we didn't get to vote on the Lighthouse Project. ToH just obstructed it, period. Of course the plan was over the top. Who cares, we weren't paying. Who cares if it's empty if we're not holding the bag. They would be paying the 99 year lease even if they were losing $. If the Islanders have one winning season they will fill 15k easily. I think the project was too big, but Hofstra and NCCC didn't seem to mind. ToH is notorious for obstructing ALL development that doesn't fit a very narrow and unambitious niche of 55+ apts/condos and chain stores. We have such a good credit rating (which is what she ALWAYS campaigns on) because they don't DO anything, except recycle lightbulbs and brick pave a sidewalk here and there. They do not court business development, they impede it. They fantasize of unlimited homeowner money to keep the patronage mill moving without jeopardizing votes. The only way they will wake up is to vote them out but the old school nostalgic Nimby cuckoos never will.

That third option is what we're getting. The voters vote against paying, Wang and Rechler say "bite me, we're done", Nassau scrambles to do something that might make a few bucks, weeds grow in the vacant asbestos dump of a coliseum, islanders move and Kate smiles and waves like the 1950's bureaucratic automaton she fancies herself. Protector of the vacant dump in the name of "unique suburban character." These days, even unique suburbs have offices, buildings, pro sports and pockets of dense housing if they want to survive.
Kates fans want more 55+ housing and Cheesecake Factories. That's all they know. That's all they care about. And God Forbid someone wanted to build affordable housing for young families in TOH! Or non-luxury apartment buildings for all ages! Kate will strike it down faster than she destroyed those plans for a White Castle on Sunrise Highway!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:11 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
And that's why she keeps winning, she appeals to a group of people who actually vote their interest.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:23 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
And that's why she keeps winning, she appeals to a group of people who actually vote their interest.
Sorry, Clark. I believe it's that most are misinformed and propagandized by a very powerful Repub machine that scares the elderly with last minute automated phone assaults and heavy pressure on town employees (at the trough) and their families to maintain the status quo. The last Dem candidate didn't have a pot to pi$$ in and got 35% of the vote. If anyone had actually heard of him, he might have done better. Didn't help that his road signs would mysteriously disappear every night, not that town workers would have anything to do with that..cough cough...Find me a town employee making more than $60k that ISN'T a republican and I'll show you pigs flying on the backs of leprechauns. I'm independent so I don't say this from a partisan viewpoint. It's a long running republican patronage mill. Very difficult to unseat.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM

47 posts, read 80,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Sorry, Clark. I believe it's that most are misinformed and propagandized by a very powerful Repub machine that scares the elderly with last minute automated phone assaults and heavy pressure on town employees (at the trough) and their families to maintain the status quo. The last Dem candidate didn't have a pot to pi$$ in and got 35% of the vote. If anyone had actually heard of him, he might have done better. Didn't help that his road signs would mysteriously disappear every night, not that town workers would have anything to do with that..cough cough...Find me a town employee making more than $60k that ISN'T a republican and I'll show you pigs flying on the backs of leprechauns. I'm independent so I don't say this from a partisan viewpoint. It's a long running republican patronage mill. Very difficult to unseat.
Wasn't a young repub in TOBAY busted for stealing campaign signs off private property a few years ago?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 AM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I am a huge hockey fan,and Isle fan, but it is time to let them go. The organization is in shambles, and the demographics of LI (particularly the surrounding area of the arena) has no interest in paying NHL prices for minor league quality.

I would rather have an AHL or ECHL team so I could afford the tickets.
Could not agree more. BIG hockey fan, and was initially depressed when we moved to Charlotte, because we had season tix to the Isles. I will go out on a limb and say the Charlotte Checkers (ECHL and now in their 2nd season as the AHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes) are one of the best values in sports.

We have season tickets and get to see high quality players for $10 per seat. Family friendly, with giveaways, etc - just a great experience. We will make a few trips each year to Raleigh to see the Canes, we were actually supposed to see them play the Isles this year!

I travel to Minneapolis a lot on business, and will try to plan my trips to be able to see the Wild as much as possible. Talk about a great arena with an amazing fan base - that's the place. Great to see how the Twin Cities responded to the North Stars being stolen by Dallas.

Hockey is a great sport. Thankfully there are lots of transplants in Charlotte that come out to support the Checkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island