Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

Binghamton had an early advantage over SBU in electrical and mechanical engineering because of its relationship with IBM and proximity of nearby then-dominant tech manufacturers like Eastman. By now I would assume both schools would be at parity in terms of STEM. Also the quality of research coming out of SBU has greatly improved over the decades and it is far ahead of Binghamton in the medical and biological sciences.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 09-26-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI lurker View Post
+1

Why let facts get in the way of an uneducated opinion? Go SBU!
LMAO!! Yea. Especially coming from a poster who cant even spell Binghamton correctly. Its NOT spelled BinghamPton!!! There is no P!!

By the way, there is a blog out there from students titled "stonybrooksucks.com"..I have yet to find anything similar for Bing..lol. That should tell you something.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM

140 posts, read 214,481 times
Cuz they charge to much

Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
OhhBeeHave: We graduated different years however I had friends and roommates in the Watson School of Engineering who had the same GPA as my husband, and found jobs at top companies with no trouble because on campus recruiting programs are solid at Binghamton. Many of my classmates had no trouble landing jobs at places like Computer Associates or Big 4 accounting firms in NYC. Before I opted to enroll in law school, I had a paralegal job offer from a big NYC firm because that firm had 3 BU grads on the hiring committee.
I won't disagree that there is a degree of collegiate nepotism out there. If those 3 BU alum were from other schools, it might have worked out differently for you at that point in time. I am glad that it went your way.

Quote:
My husband was an EE major coming out StonyBrook and while he had some interviews with employers via On Campus recruiting, they only hired the cream of the crop (ie top 5-10%). He was also shut out of the NYC market because so many companies preferred to hire NYU/Columbia students full time after graduation. Also, when he tried to default to post-graduate employment for regular liberal arts majors, he had trouble getting companies to interview him because many of THOSE plum jobs went to graduates of higher ranked universities outside the area or were for NYC companies that didnt even recruit at SB because they thought it was "too far away". He opted to get a graduate degree in IT instead, which combined with computer certifications helped him land his current job (which he admits usually hires college grads).
I might be reading too much/too little into this, I realize he went into a field with a lot of competition and was also faced with the 'name brand' problem. ONe of my friends is an upper level administrator at Stony Brook; he has suggested that for certain professions, starting at SBU helps keep costs down, the curriculum is recognized by the 'big name' schools, but to transfer to the 'big name' schools in order to have their name on the sheepskin.

Quote:
To this day, he says the Binghamton Alumni network is vastly superior to the crappy network he had at SB. Even today, I get emails from the BU Alumni Assoc'n for local pub crawls for certain graduating classes, wine and cheese tasting events, winery trips, baseball/basketball games, etc. My husband's last Alumni Assoc'n contact was a letter asking for donations, and an offer to get a discount on campus sporting events....
My last two SBU Alumni association emails: One was about the State of the University address on 9/19; the other was a special offer for the pregame reception for the SBU vs Army Black Knights football game. Is there something wrong with wanting to draw in as many alumnus as possible at Michie Stadium? There are plenty of us who no longer do the pub crawl thing, but who are into sports.

Quote:
SB is a fine school for STEM fields...now..but its reputation still persists and it will take many, many years for it to be considered a powerhouse. BU's reputation is great academically but is hindered because of its location (which unfortunately is nowhere as idealic as the quaint town of Ithaca, NY, home of Cornell University, where many BU students are accepted but are unable to afford).
I agree with you and twingles to some extent with regard to this. We're looking at a young school which was formed in 1957 as a very small teaching college, wound up out here in 1962, still hadn't hit it's stride when I attended 3 decades ago. A lot of positive change took place under our last President, Shirley Strum Kenney. Binghamton formed 11 years earlier than SBU and with respect to growth, had the advantage from the very beginning of having one of IBM's founders(?) overseeing things. Certainly very beneficial to help orient a new school. SBU has only recently had the vision and largess of major philanthropists to help it grow.

Despite the 11 year edge BU has over SBU, there are only 3 positions separating them on the list Quick Commenter linked. Can SBU surpass BU? In 11 years time, anything is possible.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
LMAO!! Yea. Especially coming from a poster who cant even spell Binghamton correctly. Its NOT spelled BinghamPton!!! There is no P!!

By the way, there is a blog out there from students titled "stonybrooksucks.com"..I have yet to find anything similar for Bing..lol. That should tell you something.
"Yea" or Yeah ...there is an H

"cant" or can't...there is an apostrophe

Trolling for student blogs? LMAO That ought to tell you something!

(And I apologize for two Bing's with a 'p' and three without a 'p'). Touchy about P in that beautiful city?

Facts are facts, check the rankings!

Go SBU

Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I am going to get off track in a silly way.

I wondered if there are any local jokes about the 'p' people mistakenly add to the name?

Back on track -- when you go to the site you've linked, it appears to be parked. No gems, no beyotching, no moaning.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Just some interesting facts before getting carried away with a blog:

- SBU has more than two dozen postgraduate programs in the medical, biological and health sciences. Binghamton has less than five.

- SBU has a teaching and research hospital (one of the best in the country) conferring both MD, doctoral and postdoctoral degrees. Binghamton has none.

- SBU has more than 60 science and engineering research institutes. How many does Binghamton have?

- SBU has more than 1,000 researchers. Binghamton has less than half of that.

- SBU is a world class research university. Binghamton is not.

Don't get carried away by blogs. They are often misleading.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 09-26-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 PM

322 posts, read 937,850 times
When regarding just the schools on Long Island, I admit Stony Brook is probably at the top (when I first entered college Hofstra was considered the better university). But while the academics and alumni contributions have been stellar, they try too hard to make SB seem like a southern college.
Case in point - two years ago I went to a SB Homecoming event (yes, I'm a graduate). In the past, tailgaiting in the parking lot of the stadium could go on well after the sun went down. At this event, campus/state police were going around 1 hour before kickoff telling people they had to start breaking down their tarps, grills, and groups and either enter the stadium or leave the parking lot by the start of the game. Obviously they were instructed to do this so the stadium would get full and make it appear the student body cared about school athletics. Makes for a really good photo/advertsing pic.
Other private universities like Adelphi and CW Post pretty much handed out scholarships to anybody with a B GPA or higher, but even if your high school transcript was trash they would still offer you admission if you could afford the tuition.
As a HS senior I was interested in going away for college, but alas I eneded up staying local for one reason only: Cost. The majority of college students' tuitions are paid by their parents.If they can't afford the price of out-of-state schools, they are going to tell their kids to stay local, no matter how good/bad the schools are here.
Then again, I'm from a time when the belief was it didn't matter what your degree was in, just having that piece of paper would get you anywhere.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
When regarding just the schools on Long Island, I admit Stony Brook is probably at the top (when I first entered college Hofstra was considered the better university). But while the academics and alumni contributions have been stellar, they try too hard to make SB seem like a southern college.
When I entered SBU, Hofstra and Stony Brook were two different animals. You went to Hofstra for law, Stony Brook for science. People might have felt Hofstra was better because it was expensive and private.

Quote:
Case in point - two years ago I went to a SB Homecoming event (yes, I'm a graduate). In the past, tailgaiting in the parking lot of the stadium could go on well after the sun went down. At this event, campus/state police were going around 1 hour before kickoff telling people they had to start breaking down their tarps, grills, and groups and either enter the stadium or leave the parking lot by the start of the game. Obviously they were instructed to do this so the stadium would get full and make it appear the student body cared about school athletics. Makes for a really good photo/advertsing pic.
Other private universities like Adelphi and CW Post pretty much handed out scholarships to anybody with a B GPA or higher, but even if your high school transcript was trash they would still offer you admission if you could afford the tuition.
As a HS senior I was interested in going away for college, but alas I eneded up staying local for one reason only: Cost. The majority of college students' tuitions are paid by their parents.If they can't afford the price of out-of-state schools, they are going to tell their kids to stay local, no matter how good/bad the schools are here.
Then again, I'm from a time when the belief was it didn't matter what your degree was in, just having that piece of paper would get you anywhere.
Had it occurred to you that due to NYS budget cuts that they are working with a limited number of security personnel, and that once the game begins, they have to attend to the stadium proper? When you have that many visitors and students milling about, there needs to be some degree of control for safety's sake.

Last week was Wolfstock, which had sold out last year (waiting to learn about this year) so it is not so much a matter of needing to make the stands look full.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM

322 posts, read 937,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
When I entered SBU, Hofstra and Stony Brook were two different animals. You went to Hofstra for law, Stony Brook for science. People might have felt Hofstra was better because it was expensive and private.

Had it occurred to you that due to NYS budget cuts that they are working with a limited number of security personnel, and that once the game begins, they have to attend to the stadium proper? When you have that many visitors and students milling about, there needs to be some degree of control for safety's sake.

Last week was Wolfstock, which had sold out last year (waiting to learn about this year) so it is not so much a matter of needing to make the stands look full.
You do know that any alumni who sent in the required donation received a ticket for the game? You know where most of those tickets went? In the trash can.

The majority of alumni I know go to Homecoming to meet up with old friends and reminisce about days gone by at a tailgate or the alumni tent. The game is usually an afterthought.

But to get back to the OP's original question, the reason LI schools have more locals and commuters is because they are the most affordable to LI residents. Some kids have to work full time jobs along with what their parents contribute to pay tuition, and thats in combination with any scholarships or grants.
Those who can more-than-afford it stay local so they can fully enjoy the college experience and not worry about how they will afford their next payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island