Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times

Advertisements

What exactly is a commissary? Is it like a Sam's Club or Costco just for veterans/their families and active/reserve/NG duty personnel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
Grocery store.

They used to be run by the military, but now are run by an outside concession.

Every Thursday, I'd call Dad at the office and give him the list. Of course, he'd come home with much more!

Couldn't beat the prices.

Still can't either at our commissary.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,484 times
Hi, my husband was USMC--got out in the early 80's. Is he allowed to shop at a commisary even if he's not active and are there any in or near nassau county? I wasn't sure if the one in Mitchel Field was closed now. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywriter123 View Post
Hi, my husband was USMC--got out in the early 80's. Is he allowed to shop at a commisary even if he's not active and are there any in or near nassau county? I wasn't sure if the one in Mitchel Field was closed now. Thanks!
It's still open.

He needs to show ID of being either active or retired military to shop AFAIK.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks--He's not active and not retired but was honorably discharged--does that count?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywriter123 View Post
Thanks--He's not active and not retired but was honorably discharged--does that count?
I am not sure. Perhaps you should call the commissary in Nassau and tell them your situation and they can say whether or not he can shop there with honorable discharge papers rather than active/retired military ID.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am not sure. Perhaps you should call the commissary in Nassau and tell them your situation and they can say whether or not he can shop there with honorable discharge papers rather than active/retired military ID.

I know he has a pink expired id card but I'll try to find a phone number and ask--Thanks so much for your speedy response! Living on LI has gotten so expensive--every little bit counts--Thanks again!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:23 PM

36 posts, read 94,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread but unless you are on active duty, retired, National Guard, Reserves, or disabled you can't use the commissary.

Also they are still run by the DCA (Defense Commissary Agency), there are more than 250 commissaries world-wide.

Eric

Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,093 times
Where exactly is the Mitchel Field Commissary, i.e the address of the location to put into my GPS to find the place? Thank you!!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
OK thanks...great info. I did make a drive out there...and even with getting lost right around Nassau Coliseum, it took 40 min from where I'll be living in Sound Beach. Thats well worth the gas to save at least 25% on groceries.

Maybe a trip to Fort Hamilton once a month or so might even be worth it. I can't see paying $4.19 a gallon for milk if I don't have to.
For milk, you can try costco, I get a gallon of low-fat milk for 2.79. It just increased, the price had been $2.59.

You're right, the average price for milk is ridiculously more than a gallon of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island