Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I played poker at a friend house and he was complaining about his 15K tax bill but he has a 12,000 sqf home with a 4 car garage on 15 acres, with a pool,pond,tennis and a basketball court. Imagine what he would be paying on L.I.
Yeah but think about how much tax he pays every year on the 4 autos. Plus he must have a massive water bill, tax on his yacht, aircraft carrier, and learjet.. fuhgetaboutit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's really more to do with the baby boomers reaching the end of their child bearing years. There's less people of child bearing age, therefore there's less children.

If anyone really thinks that translates to getting rid of teachers, they haven't lived on LI that long. Our old schools have less classes than they used to per grade, but if you look hard enough, you'll find all the teachers are still there lurking in special ed classrooms or teaching "technology" and things like that.
IDK about that. The baby boomers are done (were done) having kids years ago. It's the echo boomers, the gen Y 30-50 yo crowd, that dominate LI demographics at this point. People are having kids later on and not having as many. 1-2 kids is the new 2-4 kids from the baby boomers era. There are many districts looking to consolidate and sell elementary schools as Galacia mentioned.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
IDK about that. The baby boomers are done (were done) having kids years ago. It's the echo boomers, the gen Y 30-50 yo crowd, that dominate LI demographics at this point. People are having kids later on and not having as many. 1-2 kids is the new 2-4 kids from the baby boomers era. There are many districts looking to consolidate and sell elementary schools as Galacia mentioned.
Another factor you have to take into consideration is location. By me they can't bulid schools fast enough. Opposite of the Island. There is big growth going on here not just business but also population. They added a couple of schools and did millions and millions in renovations on existing schools and my taxes still went down.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Yeah, but towns like Garden City are an anomaly - where most people have 3 kids and more. Even in the families that I knew that were much younger than me I knew families that had 4 and 5 kids. Still, Garden City isn't close to re-shuttering one of the primary schools (that they reopened about 13 years ago) although in a few years they may be there (and they just spent a ton of money fixing up all the primary schools). The three primary schools there have seen the biggest drop in classes....and that whole Central Section, with the too-big-for-anyone houses, will be an interest thing to watch in the coming years. Who can/will buy those houses and how many kids will they actually end up having? My DS was friends with a kid who lived in one of those huge houses and it's on the market. Curious where they'll end up. I think their boiler room was bigger than my kitchen, LOL.

I just checked my old house and the school taxes went up $1,000. Yikes.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
My assesment stayed the same but my taxes went up a grand Awesome

I knew they'd get me sooner or later, my taxes have been flat the last few years and even went down 300 2 years ago. Oh well....

Anyone know when the deadline to file a tax grievence in Nassau is?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
school taxes up 13% ($1100). Our assessed did go up $20k for no good reason. Next October our new 2nd floor addition will kick into play (big jump in assessed already shown) so this $20k jump is a mystery. The tax rate also went up this year by a bigger margin than the 2 prior years. $9589 just for school/library... yay. Parents in a regular split-level paying $10.5k just in school/library taxes.

Another thing I noticed in comparisons is the assessed value for school tax is always lower than library tax up until 2012. Now (2012 & 2013) the school & library uses the same assessed value. What gives?

BTW, my wife and I did go and vote NO to the school budget but we were beat by more than 1000 other people.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-02-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
school taxes up 13% ($1100). Our assessed did go up $20k for no good reason. Next October our new 2nd floor addition will kick into play (big jump in assessed already shown) so this $20k jump is a mystery. The tax rate also went up this year by a bigger margin than the 2 prior years. $9589 just for school/library... yay. Parents in a regular split-level paying $10.5k just in school/library taxes.

Another thing I noticed in comparisons is the assessed value for school tax is always lower than library tax up until 2012. Now (2012 & 2013) the school & library uses the same assessed value. What gives?

BTW, my wife and I did go and vote NO to the school budget but we were beat by more than 1000 other people.
Did you put in for a capital improvement tax abatement? ToH offers this does your are do the same?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

There's no getting through to the unions however. The only bright spots I see are enrollments are dropping 1-2% every year as people are having less kids. That combined with the 2% cap should hopefully control the school tax situation.
Can you explain that 2% cap, because I just look at the home I sold a few years back and the school taxes just went up 9% in one year to 6,858 after the star rebate. It was 5,263 in 2008 Some of my old friends went up 10 even 12% for 2013. I thought 2% was the max

Last edited by BigMike50; 10-02-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Can you explain that 2% cap, because I just look at the home I sold a few years back and the school taxes just went up 9% in one year to 6,858 after the star rebate. It was 5,263 in 2008 Some of my old friends went up 10 even 12% for 2013. I thought 2% was the max
The cap seems to be mostly political in that there are so many exceptional allowances and a couple of easily managed work-arounds. Of course NY's vaunted teacher's union doesn't see it that way and they plan to sue the State for the right to raise your taxes more than 2% per annum.

Did you ever notice when you hear about the increase in taxes, they usually estimate the tax hit to the homeowner. Funny thing is, when I get my tax bill, it's usually increased far higher than the 'average estimate.'

Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
My assessment went up a whopping $200! But my school taxes increased $328 though my STAR savings also increased slightly. I bought my house in October 2008 and when I got my very first assessment in January 2009, I wanted to cry and wondered what I had gotten myself into. My assessment had gone down and the taxes had gone up. Since 2009 the biggest spike was 2012 but the 2013 is now the winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island