Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, the issue is these people have created a vicious cycle where they need to bring in revenue to pay their outrageous salaries and benefits, so they've come up with another way to abuse their employers (taxpayers).
do town employees make that much? I'm curious because they sure don't act like it with their grumpy demeanor every time you go in there. I still recall the time I asked to borrow a pen for 2 seconds and they looked at me like I asked them to get me some coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
So patio pavers would not need a permit?

Wonder if I should get a demo permit when I rip mine down and try to get a tax deduction?
patio pavers do not need a permit in Islip Town. Any wood deck that is less than 18 inches off the ground does not need a permit nor does it need railings. Again this is in Islip Town.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
do town employees make that much? I'm curious because they sure don't act like it with their grumpy demeanor every time you go in there. I still recall the time I asked to borrow a pen for 2 seconds and they looked at me like I asked them to get me some coffee.
I think that's a criteria for working for a municipality, isn't it? My sister went to GC village hall a couple years ago for her own CO issue and the woman was busy preparing her breakfast. She told my sister "I'll just be a few minutes" while she got her coffee and cut and buttered her bagel. In my next like I'm coming back as a civil servant. I'll even live on Long Island

Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 AM

14 posts, read 36,306 times
It's not against the law to be sick if he shows up, without a search warrant he can not gain lawful entry. Unless there is an extergent circumstance, gas leak ect, or overt safety issue which could affect the safety of others. In the meantime, draft up your own contingency plan to correct the violations, and be prepared to fight any attempt to issue you any violations that existed when you brought the property.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenQ View Post
sorry, i meant to say deck, not pool. its a very nice deck and we really want to keep it. i know once i let him in he'll find other violations. can i deny him entrance into the house when he comes to discuss the deck violation?
Yes, you can deny him access as he does not have a specific issue inside the house. If he insists, call the police and have him removed or charged with trespassing.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think that's a criteria for working for a municipality, isn't it? My sister went to GC village hall a couple years ago for her own CO issue and the woman was busy preparing her breakfast. She told my sister "I'll just be a few minutes" while she got her coffee and cut and buttered her bagel. In my next like I'm coming back as a civil servant. I'll even live on Long Island
In a CAPITALIST system, the best, the brightest, most focused, most motivated, most creative, most driven individuals are QUICKLY absorbed into the PRIVATE SECTOR.
Those that remain can only seek employment in the PUBLIC SECTOR or go on welfare.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM

40 posts, read 249,194 times
thank you all for your replies. just for the record the deck is part of a hi-ranch house, but still i don't see any reason why he would want to get inside, except to snoop for more violations. i think when the inspector does come to the house, i'll ask him if he is legal right to enter the home in order to discuss how to correct the outstanding violations or if he just wants to get inside to find if there are other violations. if he says the law doesn't require him to enter the house, i'll refuse entry.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbaxter View Post
It's not against the law to be sick if he shows up, without a search warrant he can not gain lawful entry. Unless there is an extergent circumstance, gas leak ect, or overt safety issue which could affect the safety of others. In the meantime, draft up your own contingency plan to correct the violations, and be prepared to fight any attempt to issue you any violations that existed when you brought the property.
Once she bought the house she also took on the liability of pre-existing violations. The smart thing to do is to make the seller cure them before purchasing the house.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM

39 posts, read 84,491 times
Default Play the religious card

Tell the inspector he can't enter your house because of religious reason.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenQ View Post
thank you all for your replies. just for the record the deck is part of a hi-ranch house, but still i don't see any reason why he would want to get inside, except to snoop for more violations. i think when the inspector does come to the house, i'll ask him if he is legal right to enter the home in order to discuss how to correct the outstanding violations or if he just wants to get inside to find if there are other violations. if he says the law doesn't require him to enter the house, i'll refuse entry.
Dont ask him, he'll come up with some excuse. Just refuse him entry, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island