U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 AM

840 posts, read 2,277,228 times

Advertisements

i don't know if it's ragweed or what but I cannot breathe out of my nose for a week and it feels like there is an anvil on my chest.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM

651 posts, read 1,055,559 times
change your diet. Only eat veggie for one month. Do Yoga, you can take classes or check out youtube.

Go see Acupuncture doctor. You will be fine. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM

i do yoga, i eat clean, I am just highly allergic to nearly everything it seems

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM

886 posts, read 2,462,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
change your diet. Only eat veggie for one month. Do Yoga, you can take classes or check out youtube.

Go see Acupuncture doctor. You will be fine. Good luck.
Horsehockey. My bride is beyond the epitome of healthy lifestyle and she is snorting and sneezing like a field horse in Spring. Humidity probably is the cause.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 31,802,099 times
I know I'm 600 miles away but everyone I know is miserable right now. Warm winter last year is the culprit.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,799,866 times
my wife is. I am fine.

Same thing as above, we're healthy otherwise.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM

my wife doesn't even traditionally have allergies yet she's been using my inhaler

Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM

30 posts, read 53,698 times
Hi kunk10!
Yes, this is the season when allergies change their tune - I my case I get them due to the Fall moisture, and they're caused by mold spore in the air.

Right now there are several allergenic plants in full bloom: Ragweed, Mugwart, Pigweed and Goldenrod.
Grasses are also in seed, even your own front lawn can produce allergies from flowering and seeding - your Kentucky Bluegrass is a big one!
Mold Spore is a Fall thing - both black and white mold are around, and get into the sinuses pretty quickly with all this damp weather.

What can you do to alleviate your symptoms?

1. Check for dust and mold in your house. Wear a surgical mask, and look at the floors and walls in your basement, and closets. Check the ceilings in your attic, as well. If you live in an apartment, check around window sills and all ceilings. Bring a wad of white tissue with you, and swipe areas that appear to be discolored. If there is mold there, it will show up easily on the tissue. Dust will also show up as well, of course.

If you're living with some kind of mold (from rain getting in, or moisture in your basement) you're going to want it cleaned up ASAP. Contact a group like ServePro: http://www.servpro.com/?kmas=840&kmca=G+Brand&kmkw=master+clean+service&k mmt=b$$&s_kwcid=TC|16547|master%20clean%20service| |S|b|15339699196
They'll clean up mold and dust for you in a jiffy.

If you prefer to clean up your area yourself (not recommended for asthmatics) get yourself a HEPA filtered vacuum-cleaner, and go after it with a vengeance. Clean up areas that seem particularly susceptible with either bleach and water (you don't need much bleach - 1/4 cup to a gallon of water is plenty) or a mold-deterent that you can get from Home Depot of Lowes: Disinfectant 64oz Concentrate Cleaner - Makes 16 Gal.-5510 at The Home Depot
Shop DampRid 32 oz. Mildew Remover Plus Blocker at Lowes.com

Lastly, do a thorough cleaning of your house from top to bottom, making sure to clean from the ceiling downward, getting every nook and cranny with a vacuum and a duster that actually traps the dust- like this one: Endust Duster | Endust
Be sure to launder or lean the wand as per manufacturer instructions so as not to spread the dust around.

2. Once your surroundings are dust and mold-free, clean the air. Filtration is the key: close your windows and operate and air conditioner on fan cycle, with the vents closed. Be sure that your air conditioner is also clean by pulling the filter and cleaning it well (either by vacuuming it or washing in water depending on what it's made out of. (Replace carbon filters, they can't be washed). Also check the drain pan, clean it, and apply a few drops of bleach to it to inhibit mold growth.
Your air conditioner will act like an air purifier - and that's something else you can check into. Home depot and Lowes also carry air purifiers:
Air Purifiers - Heating, Cooling & Air Quality - Appliances*at The Home Depot and Shop Air Purifiers & Accessories at Lowes.com
I can tell you from experience, one small HEPA air purifier in a room (the one that you spend your time in the most) can make a distinct difference to your quality of living!

3. Now check around your house:
Do you live near a field, or are there weeds growing outside nearby? If it's not your property, you can contact your local village or town office to have someone come to mow the weeds down. Be aware through, on mowing day your allergies will hit the roof! Stay inside and close your windows until they've finished.
Is your yard the culprit? Check to make sure your lawn isn't going to seed, cut it back firmly, and get rid of the clippings as soon as possible.
Weeds grow right in your garden - I know, I have Mugwart everywhere. I pull it before it goes into bloom, and dispose of it in my yard waste.
Do you have a mulch pile? If so, make sure it's far, far away from your house. If it's drying out, water it thoroughly, and that will keep the spore down.
Get rid of decaying leaves, too. Anything from Autumn leaves to weeds left in a pile will cause allergies to peak. So get out there and rake, blow and get rid of decaying material anywhere around your home.

4. Do you have pets?
Now is the time when fleas make a break by jumping onto your pet to get inside your home. Be sure to check your pet and make sure they're clean of all little critters. Bathe them with a vet-approved flea bath, and treat your home with household flea spray, salt, borax, or even bomb it if you have to. See here: Getting Rid of Fleas in the House and Buying Guide: Pest Control Fleas
Animal dander can also build up, so be sure to clean up as described above.

6. What can you do to alleviate symptoms?
Well, at this time of year I take my little pink over-the-counter friend, the Benedryl pill. I take one at night just before I go to bed, and it clears me up by the morning. They can make you snooze off quickly, so take it only a few minutes before you intend to turn in!
If that doesn't work, I add my other little friend, the tiny red decongestant pill (Sudafed) GREAT LITTLE RED PILL - Sudafed Nasal Decongestant 48 Tablets - Epinions.com
Let me tell you, using both just before bed has saved my life by allowing me to go to work on days when I'd normally be sniffling, stuffed up and foggy-headed.
If all else fails. Claritin aided me - Claritin® | Non-Drowsy Allergy Medicine & Information
The only bad thing about Claritin is that I had to get used to it - and that took about a week. Be sure to check with your doctor to see if you can take it, as some people with high blood pressure or glaucoma should never use it.

Finally, check your allergen report everyday here: Free 4-Day Allergy Forecast for BOHEMIA, NY | Pollen.com
Just enter your zip code. Or try here: weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US Mold Spores
It shows mold spore, tree pollen, even weed pollen counts.

Remember, if all else fails, see your local allergist. There are so many therapies out there today, that it's possible for you to at least get some insight into what's bothering you and possibly - get treatment for it. Using another person's inhaler isn't a great idea, and if you're feeling that under the weather, a good medication dispensed by a trained physician is really the best medicine.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM

4,676 posts, read 8,979,159 times
Oh I am suffering!

It's a combination of things.... ragweed pollen..........and mold from all the rain.

I can't take antihistimines during the day as they knock me out... but.....ibuprofen PM works really well for me taken at night. It takes care of three problems......anti-inflammatory for my wrecked knee.... and the antihistimine for my allergies.... and the antihistimine makes me really sleepy so I get a good 8 hrs of sleelp at night.. which I don't normally get. I only take one pill... and I do okay during the day.. still sniffling a bit and my eyes feel like they have mosquito bites at times.. but I feel much better than without.

This has been the worst fall for me in many years.

Even my vet said last week she's been seeing more dogs and cats suffering with allergies this fall.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM

377 posts, read 595,753 times
Yes...the past week has been terrible for me allergy-wise. I suffer from asthma and used to get bronchitis and pneumonia all the time. I have not had an issue in 5 years and have not even needed an inhaler....until this week. Within the past week, I went from having terrible allergies out of nowhere to laryngitis to asthma attacks to bronchitis and on Wed found out it turned into pneumonia. Thankfully it is getting better, but needless to say the inhaler is back after its hiatus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island