Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,458 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm a young twenty-something engineer looking to move out to Long Island to cut down on my miserable commute from NYC. I work in Hauppauge, and would prefer to live somewhere just a bit North or West of that, so ideally Hauppauge, Northport, Commack, Kings Park, or Smithtown.

Having spent quite some time going to see tiny, expensive, lightless apartments posted on craigslist, I've come to the conclusion that the best idea cost and comfort-wise would be to rent a smallish house with another person (or couple). I don't really know anyone out on the island, so I have no idea how to go about finding a roommate(s). I've tried craigslist, and I tried looking at King Kullen bulletin boards for roommate wanted ads. So far: nothing.

So, I'd really appreciate some guidance as to how to go about finding someone.

Alternatively...
I really don't plan to be spending all that much time out on Long Island: nearly everyone I know, as well as most of my family, still lives in the city, and I'd want to visit them fairly often, so I don't even know if this is possible, but are Mon-Fri type rentals a possibility out here?

Vital stats: I don't smoke, but don't care whether potential room/house mates do. I don't mind cats or dogs, and don't care whether or not a street I will live on is quiet, or a huge commercial thoroughfare. Most so-so apartments on craigslist go for about 900 or so, so my budget for a house share would be about 1800 with utilities (or about 1500 without).

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,918 posts, read 23,035,914 times
Reputation: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconcactus View Post
Hey all! I'm a young twenty-something engineer looking to move out to Long Island to cut down on my miserable commute from NYC. I work in Hauppauge, and would prefer to live somewhere just a bit North or West of that, so ideally Hauppauge, Northport, Commack, Kings Park, or Smithtown.

Having spent quite some time going to see tiny, expensive, lightless apartments posted on craigslist, I've come to the conclusion that the best idea cost and comfort-wise would be to rent a smallish house with another person (or couple). I don't really know anyone out on the island, so I have no idea how to go about finding a roommate(s). I've tried craigslist, and I tried looking at King Kullen bulletin boards for roommate wanted ads. So far: nothing.

So, I'd really appreciate some guidance as to how to go about finding someone.

Alternatively...
I really don't plan to be spending all that much time out on Long Island: nearly everyone I know, as well as most of my family, still lives in the city, and I'd want to visit them fairly often, so I don't even know if this is possible, but are Mon-Fri type rentals a possibility out here?

Vital stats: I don't smoke, but don't care whether potential room/house mates do. I don't mind cats or dogs, and don't care whether or not a street I will live on is quiet, or a huge commercial thoroughfare. Most so-so apartments on craigslist go for about 900 or so, so my budget for a house share would be about 1800 with utilities (or about 1500 without).

Thanks for your help!

Are you saying you're looking to rent a house (with someone else) in the above mentioned locations for $1,800 total, including utilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 01:15 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,458 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Are you saying you're looking to rent a house (with someone else) in the above mentioned locations for $1,800 total, including utilities?
Yeah! Is that an unreasonable price? I remember several small houses in that area and price range while looking through MLS listings. Or am I overlooking something really major?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
1,474 posts, read 3,045,440 times
Reputation: 1504
Are you a female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,458 times
Reputation: 10
No: male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,918 posts, read 23,035,914 times
Reputation: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconcactus View Post
Yeah! Is that an unreasonable price? I remember several small houses in that area and price range while looking through MLS listings. Or am I overlooking something really major?
In that area, I don't see anything at all at the moment in your stated price range including utilities

Rentals area very much in demand right now and anything decent is rented quickly. Of course this drives prices up somewhat...

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 10-13-2012 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top