Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times

Advertisements

just a question why do you think there is so much breast cancer on Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
just a question why do you think there is so much breast cancer on Long Island?
1)LIPA Stacks
2)Developments built on old farms,pesticides etc.
3)Storm Runoff

C

Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 AM

I agree, there are so many clusters even in Commack, there are clusters, East islip also. I really think my opinion that the houses built on the old farms has a lot to do with it.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
It's not just breast cancer--it's other ones as well.
"Labs offshore?" Has anyone heard that rumor?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:37 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Default As well.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I agree, there are so many clusters even in Commack, there are clusters, East islip also. I really think my opinion that the houses built on the old farms has a lot to do with it.
At one point a few years back I knew of five women who suffered through miscarriages in a relatively short period of time. They all lived in either Commack, Kings Park or Smithtown. I've always believed it had plenty to do with their relative proximity to the landfill on Town Line Road. I would watch those smoke stacks spew fumes that would drift directly east towards those towns.

Long Island is a relatively small piece of real estate with multiple sources of industrial and residential waste surrounding its towns and villages. Mix in the pesticide component and it's hard to choose the culprit responsible.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
At one point a few years back I knew of five women who suffered through miscarriages in a relatively short period of time. They all lived in either Commack, Kings Park or Smithtown. I've always believed it had plenty to do with their relative proximity to the landfill on Town Line Road. I would watch those smoke stacks spew fumes that would drift directly east towards those towns.

Long Island is a relatively small piece of real estate with multiple sources of industrial and residential waste surrounding its towns and villages. Mix in the pesticide component and it's hard to choose the culprit responsible.
Certainly the pesticide laden ground that many developments were built upon has played into this. How many of those chemicals have leached into the aquifer? The airborn contaminants carried from points north and west of us must hurt, too.

Add into the equation that many people on LI move about -- how many went to school off Island? How many moved here from NYC (any borough) and elsewhere? How many grew up in one place and relocated to another and yet another as renters hoping to buy? Is it possible they were exposed to something in their 'point of origin' (birthplace) or that they were exposed to a toxin at another location -- like where they went to away to school?

Take into account exposure in utero -- what were our mom's ingesting, what were they subjected to? There are genetic indicators within people who either have cancer or have a family history of cancer. What's to say that there wasn't some genetic mutation along the familial line?

It is very odd that so many LIers have a greater incidence of breast cancer.

I believe our government can give us answers, but chooses not to. We ere told fluoride in the water is good for us. Water companies are putting chlorine and other chemicals in the water to keep it clean. Foods are full of chemicals for shelf life and now the government is allowing meat to be irradiated. Foods are brought in from foreign countries and regulations have grown lax. Think back to early atomic testing -- how the government deliberately exposed troops to it? The use of chemicals in warfare and the subsequent cancers our troops faced (ever seen someone get ill and die from Agent Orange exposure -- horrible.) The potential link between autism and vaccines is scary stuff. Look at how the autism diagnosis has increased exponentially from this generation to the last.

I can't begin to tell you how many LIers I know (myself included) who have autoimmune disorders. And I will not forget the LIers who have other cancers, too.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:09 AM

I think it is terrible that there are so many children with Asthma, When i went to school in the 70's and 80's there was like one child in my school with Asthma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: