Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM

233 posts, read 753,421 times

Advertisements

I've seen the one near 110 flashing more than a paparazzo at the opportunity for an upskirt shot of [name any current hot skanky celebrity from LI]

yes they operatore FOR profit. I went to university down below the Mason Dixon, our university town voted to have these cameras removed... and it worked...good luck trying to gather the people of LI into one agreeable opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
I have noticed many cars with shaded lic plate frames to foil the cameras,I know its illegal but more and more people are taking things into their own hands.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM

46 posts, read 108,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I have noticed many cars with shaded lic plate frames to foil the cameras,I know its illegal but more and more people are taking things into their own hands.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytwotoes View Post
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

The only way a red light camera law is unjust is if they screw with the lights to make them shorter or give out false tickets.

I'm sure the founding fathers would support your freedom to run red lights on busy road.

Give me a break.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 AM

46 posts, read 108,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The only way a red light camera law is unjust is if they screw with the lights to make them shorter or give out false tickets.

I'm sure the founding fathers would support your freedom to run red lights on busy road.

Give me a break.
Did you NOT read/watch/listen to OP's linked video? They are a scam. How is that just? If people are placing "illegal" covers on their license plates so they can continue to turn right on red, at that intersection that they been turning on for years without incident, they has recently gotten a red light camera and NO TURN ON RED sign, then they have every right to circumvent the abuse of power.

Please give _ME_ a break, don't turn into a lemming, think for yourself!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
They are not a scam but you cant prove who was driving the car thats the only bad thing. Say your car was stolen and the theif goes through the light and gets the ticket... He may have stolen your car but you are one who has to pay the ticket.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
They are not a scam but you cant prove who was driving the car thats the only bad thing. Say your car was stolen and the theif goes through the light and gets the ticket... He may have stolen your car but you are one who has to pay the ticket.
In that case, you'd be able to submit a police report and be excused.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
I red light camera flashed at me today when I made a completely legal right on red, and was stopped completely for several seconds before I made the turn. I do not know if it will give me a ticket or not.

However, I do have a question. I was told, years ago, by a defensive driving instructor (this was before Long Island had red light cameras, he was talking about the ones in the city) that if you get a red light camera ticket, and you just pay the fine, you do not get any points or an insurance surcharge. He said that, however, if you fight the ticket, and lose, you will then get points on your license, and an insurance surcharge.

Is that true? I have never heard that from anyone except him. And, is it only true of New York City? Or is it also true in Suffolk County? Does it depend on your insurance company? I could call them, but I doubt that they'd be truthful.

Since I am completely innocent, I would want to fight a ticket if I get one. However, I know that the odds are stacked against me in court. If I am going to end up with an insurance surcharge if I fight it and lose, then I may as well just pay the fine (if I get one), since I would want to avoid an insurance surcharge at all costs. Obviously, retaining a lawyer would cost far more than $50, so that is not a viable option either.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Yes 100% of red light cameras are a scam.
Fixed - LI showing its collective genius as usual, "investing" in garbage red light cameras as while early adopters are removing them. They consistently cause more problems than they solve, probably because the idea that people are running red lights left and right in a dangerous manner is a fairy tale. Most people who run a light in a manner that would cause an accident (i.e. long after it has changed) do so because they're not paying attention, no camera is going to fix that. Meanwhile, everyone else is jamming on their brakes as soon as the light turns yellow, causing unnecessary rear-end collisions.

All in the name of "safety," folks... lulz! Pure moneymaking scheme.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Now that cameras are every where when I see a green down the road I find my self automaticly increasing speed so as not to catch it yellow, because I do this I am going tru the intersection faster than I normaly would,if some one is making a right on red from the side street on my right there is a good chanse I might hit them not being able to stop in time at this faster speed.So another reason the cameras are a BAD Idea!!! Seems Government will do any thing to take our $$ JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island