Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

Let me see... Im in my 30's, i can afford my home... All my friends can afford their homes. Im not sure where u r looking, we can afford just fine. Of course we dont live in the lap of luxury but a home is a home and to say there is none is a lie- its out there ya just gotta look and not expect the world on a silver platter.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 10-21-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:59 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Let me see... Im in my 30's, i can afford my home... All my friends can afford their homes. Im not sure where u r looking, we can afford just fine. Of course we dont live in the lap of luxury but a home is a home and to say there is none is a lie- its out there ya just gotta look and not expect the world on a silver platter.
How much money do you make? And where do you live? You can't assume everyone makes as much money as you do.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
A stable economy requires housing and business GROWTH. Growth means you need a combination of housing choices from apartments to high end homes. Businesses pay employees at different pay scales and each pay scale needs housing. To focus on one and not the other creates an imbalance that hurts business. LI politicos have focused on ONLY encouraging the high end "blah blah we're a bedroom community of NYC." The fact is we once had vital industry that paid well for the times (Defense, Pharma, Aviation, etc). Now that is mostly decimated but we want to keep that demographic. Can't have it both ways. The fear that affordable apartments for youth will hurt cuts our noses to spite our face. If you have no industry but only high end housing options, good luck supporting it. You end up with illegal apts, weak tax base, lower commercial tax revenues, business contraction, loss of industry, etc. Banking on phony bubbles like the last mortgage boom is just a recipe for disaster in the long run (as we saw). Continually crushing the middle income homeowner to support a failed NIMBY fantasy is where we are now. A civil service based economy and an adversarial relationship with the private sector, technology and growth. Youth bring vitality, new ideas, business fortitude, creativity and ultimately venture capital and GROWTH. Maybe even a decent restaurant and music venue too as a bonus. Driving them off the Island benefits someplace else. It's dumb. It's economic suicide. It's exactly where we are now.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Im in my early 30's I bought a home on LI at 29. I was lucky in alot of ways however, I had no college debt, a rent-free living arrangement for years and saved since I was 18. Most people I know my age are renters and are finally getting to the point in their careers to buy a house. When I lived in FL anyone with a half-way decent job had a house by 25 if they wanted one, especially now with housing costs being lower than dirt down there.

But I totally agree there need to be way more affordable housing options here. Reasonably priced, clean complexes close to the railway stations. And Im not talking about that archstone crap either, charging 2300 for a 1 bedroom you could get for a grand or less a month in FL (for the same quality or better). It baffles me why anyone would ever pay rent at any of those places when they could buy a house for the same payment per month.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
A stable economy requires housing and business GROWTH. Growth means you need a combination of housing choices from apartments to high end homes. Businesses pay employees at different pay scales and each pay scale needs housing. To focus on one and not the other creates an imbalance that hurts business. LI politicos have focused on ONLY encouraging the high end "blah blah we're a bedroom community of NYC." The fact is we once had vital industry that paid well for the times (Defense, Pharma, Aviation, etc). Now that is mostly decimated but we want to keep that demographic. Can't have it both ways. The fear that affordable apartments for youth will hurt cuts our noses to spite our face. If you have no industry but only high end housing options, good luck supporting it. You end up with illegal apts, weak tax base, lower commercial tax revenues, business contraction, loss of industry, etc. Banking on phony bubbles like the last mortgage boom is just a recipe for disaster in the long run (as we saw). Continually crushing the middle income homeowner to support a failed NIMBY fantasy is where we are now. A civil service based economy and an adversarial relationship with the private sector, technology and growth. Youth bring vitality, new ideas, business fortitude, creativity and ultimately venture capital and GROWTH. Maybe even a decent restaurant and music venue too as a bonus. Driving them off the Island benefits someplace else. It's dumb. It's economic suicide. It's exactly where we are now.
"You must spread reputation around before giving it to mongoose65 again"

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
@mongoose65: Right on the money!
A lot of people who were born in the 80's forget what made people move to the Island to begin with. Either they worked in the city and bought an affordable home on the Island that was better than what they could get in Brooklyn, or were in defense, aerospace or tech and enjoyed a great job close to home.

One thing the Island has never had compared to most anywhere else is housing diversity, which is the way Islanders wanted it.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
A stable economy requires housing and business GROWTH. Growth means you need a combination of housing choices from apartments to high end homes. Businesses pay employees at different pay scales and each pay scale needs housing. To focus on one and not the other creates an imbalance that hurts business.
Yes, exactly!

Quote:
LI politicos have focused on ONLY encouraging the high end "blah blah we're a bedroom community of NYC."
The problem is, I do not consider having to be on the train at 5 AM or earlier every day to get to the city from Ronkonkoma to be a reasonable quality of life. It is sad that Long Islanders have been brainwashed into thinking that is a good thing. I am working at one of the last remaining companies on Long Island in my field. I am in very serious trouble if I am ever laid off or if this company goes out of business, is bought out, or relocates.

Quote:
The fact is we once had vital industry that paid well for the times (Defense, Pharma, Aviation, etc). Now that is mostly decimated but we want to keep that demographic. Can't have it both ways. The fear that affordable apartments for youth will hurt cuts our noses to spite our face. If you have no industry but only high end housing options, good luck supporting it. You end up with illegal apts, weak tax base, lower commercial tax revenues, business contraction, loss of industry, etc. Banking on phony bubbles like the last mortgage boom is just a recipe for disaster in the long run (as we saw). Continually crushing the middle income homeowner to support a failed NIMBY fantasy is where we are now. A civil service based economy and an adversarial relationship with the private sector,
And not all of us were able to get a civil service job when we graduated from college. That basically locks us out of civil service for life. Like I said, if I lose my job, I'd be forced to be on the train at 5 AM or earlier every day to commute to the city. As I said, I do not consider that to be a reasonable quality of life, even though it seems other Long Islanders disagree with me.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
@mongoose65: Right on the money!
A lot of people who were born in the 80's forget what made people move to the Island to begin with. Either they worked in the city and bought an affordable home on the Island that was better than what they could get in Brooklyn, or were in defense, aerospace or tech and enjoyed a great job close to home.

One thing the Island has never had compared to most anywhere else is housing diversity, which is the way Islanders wanted it.
But what about people like myself who are not in defense, aerospace, or tech, and do not consider being on the train at 5 AM or earlier every day to be a reasonable quality of life?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
They key to buying a home on LI is not moving out at 22 but living at home til ur late 20's like i did and save money that way instead of paying rent. Who can live comfortably on an entry level job and pay rent at 22 or 23? Very hard to do. I dont make a lot of $$ but the key was living at my parents rent-free and banking my money.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
You fail to mention your "home" is a studio apartment you bought before the real estate bubble took off. Not a huge feat by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island