Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,298,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Smithtowns beautiful in a Dix Hills kind of way, I have friends in the Pines, its very nice but its VERY pricey.

I personally dont care for the gridlock of Smithtowns downtown district.
It was ill conceived and didnt scale very well as the population tripled over the years.

As far as value goes 500k puts you on an Acre in Shoreham village or Waterfont in Rocky Point and they both have great schools.
I dont think you can touch too much in the Pines for that price.

One difference, Smithtown would be a bearable NYC commtue if you had to do it.

C
In a "Dix Hills" kind of way...huh? Smithtown is much more than the Pines and actually has a downtown. Additionally, it doesn't border any rough areas. Not quite sure what that comment meant, but Smithtown schools and neighborhoods also have a ratcheted down snob level compared to Dix Hills, in my personal experience. I am still dumbfounded as to how Dix Hills evolved into the elite area it is priced at...but that is for another thread. Unfortunately as for the congestion issue, it is coming to all of the island. The Smithtown gridlock can be a nuisance at rush hour (and it is "rush hour") but you do not have to buy anywhere near main street and I do very little if any of my shopping right downtown. Plenty of other areas and larger shopping centers to go to. So if it is not obvious at this point, I am a fan..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 10:35 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
In a "Dix Hills" kind of way...huh? Smithtown is much more than the Pines and actually has a downtown. Additionally, it doesn't border any rough areas. Not quite sure what that comment meant, but Smithtown schools and neighborhoods also have a ratcheted down snob level compared to Dix Hills, in my personal experience. I am still dumbfounded as to how Dix Hills evolved into the elite area it is priced at...but that is for another thread. Unfortunately as for the congestion issue, it is coming to all of the island. The Smithtown gridlock can be a nuisance at rush hour (and it is "rush hour") but you do not have to buy anywhere near main street and I do very little if any of my shopping right downtown. Plenty of other areas and larger shopping centers to go to. So if it is not obvious at this point, I am a fan..
I meant visually/topograghy/Lot size etc.

I like the Pines....its just way too expensive or what it is.

I think Dix Hills would be nice if it werent in the middle of the island and saddled with Wheatley Heights,Deer Park Wyandanch etc.

I dont get the snob thing over there either....I find it to be very overpriced for Mid Island.

C

Old 10-15-2007, 05:22 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,482,144 times
Dix Hills is one of the more appropriately named locations on LI, although the spelling needs some work...

Old 10-16-2007, 02:17 PM

76 posts, read 206,292 times
Try Melville. Half Hollow Hills schools with easy accessability to everything.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,732,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1969 View Post
Try Melville. Half Hollow Hills schools with easy accessability to everything.
Good choice. Some people are not crazy about Half Hollow Hills SD, though.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM

76 posts, read 206,292 times
Tom:

I am missing something, I was always under the impression that it is a top notch school district.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:05 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,732,207 times
Half Hollow SD takes in Dix Hills, and parts of Wheatley Heights (and - I'm not sure- a little slice of Wyandanch). I am currently working with someone who is moving out because, he says, his kids get beat up at the high school. Other people think it's the greatest -- I often have people who specifically want that school district. To each his own, I guess.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 AM

17 posts, read 24,716 times
Some clarification needed from someone with children in the school district. No part of Wyandanch goes to Half Hollow Hills. Wheatley Heights does. As for people getting beaten up in the high school, that is nonsense. The administration does not tolerate that. My kindergarten daughter had one issue with a little boy (white and rich by the way) who pulled down her pants on the playground. I went to the principal and it was dealt with swiftly and I have to say pretty aggressively. They set the tone for discipline early. As for the 10 to a house comment, where is that coming from?? There also seems to be a lot of focus on the Mid Island location. To each his own - I like being on the expressway or Northern State in two minutes flat, and to the Cross Island in 25 minutes. Yes, Dix Hills is saddled by some lower-income areas to the south, but that does not compromise anything in the neighborhood. The only impact is a more diverse school district, which I think is a good thing. Being dumbfounded as to how it has evolved into an elite area given its Mid Island location also confuses me. One or more acre plots, large homes, no industry so high taxes, and an excellent school district - what else would it become?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,481,740 times
Quote:
No part of Wyandanch goes to Half Hollow Hills.
Sure it does. Check a Hagstrom Map. Also, MLSLI lists homes in Half Hollow Hills School District, but the homes are in Wyandanch.

Quote:
As for the 10 to a house comment, where is that coming from??
Lots of high-ranch conversions off of Carl's Path. Go look. Also, lots of high ranch conversions off of Commack Road (might be zoned Commack Schools).

Those people can't afford a high ranch at $500,000 - so they take on renters to help make the mortgage.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:49 PM

17 posts, read 24,716 times
Wheatley Heights shares a zip code with Wyandanch, so the MLS listings etc. sometimes get it wrong. Just like Dix Hills shares a zip code with Huntington Station, and sometimes my mail says Huntington Station. Trust me, there is no true Wyandanch address in HHH. In fact, when the Wyandanch school district was feared to fail, there was a big push to incorporate the entire school district into the Incorporated Village of HHH so that preventive measures could be taken to keep the potential spillover from a Wyandanch shutdown out of HHH. Re: the high ranches, you could be right if it is in that area. That is technically Dix Hills, although it is the southeastern perimeter. Look, there are pros and cons of every neighborhood, and within DH, which covers a lot of ground, there are parts that are nicer than others. The part you allude to is not bad, but it is not as nice as some other sections. I just think that to help out the original poster it would not be accurate to have him/her thinking that kids in the schools are getting beaten up and that the town is awash with illegal renters and compounds. The area is top notch. The people, on the other hand - that one I have to acquiesce on. Bunch of miserable - never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island