Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,951 times

Advertisements

I have a wave. I put it in a few years ago. It's been hit and miss. If you have a lot of things in your basement that could block air flow, then you could have a problem. But I am still happier with it than with a dehumidifier. There are times when the basement does not have a basement smell and I have very grateful for that. It probably depends on your space. But all in all, for me, it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,223 times
Can anyone out there tell me if we should leave the registers for heating/air conditioning open in our unfinished basement? We have good drainage, all eaves are extended away from house, good grading around house, no laundry room in basement...have a little moisture/moldy smell and looking for ways to get rid of it. Will it help to open the register vents? My husband thinks we are heating/cooling space for nothing but I think it might help. We have no visible water problem, and the walls are all painted with waterproof paint. Just wondering if I should buy another dehumidifier or what other options we have?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Thumbs up 100% Satisfaction with my Wave 'Generic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson View Post
Wondering if anyone here has replaced their dehumidifier with a wave ventilation system? If so are you happy with it. Seems like a lot of money and wondering if it works well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmass View Post
You can buy a similar product, known as the Breeze, for about $280 at Amazon. It has made it possible for our family to use our basement! We had a dehumidifier running for many years. It cost about $35 per month to run, needed to have the tank emptied, and never changed the air in the basement. Family allergies and the terrible smell kept everyone out. This appliance costs pennies to run, is very sturdy, made of vinyl, has a full variable speed fan control and a humidistat that turns it on and off based on the desired humidity level. You can barely hear the fan. It installs as a dryer is vented. At $350, it costs so much less than the competition (Humidex about $1,200) (EZ Breathe about $1,500) (Wave Ventilation about $1,700). It's a steal.
I can't testify to the specific name-brand Wave Ventilation System because I didn't buy it. As mmass indicates, many lower-cost alternatives are available. Instead, I built my own wave 'generic' for about $100 in parts (cost at Home Depot) and 1½ hours of labor.

Instead of having the system run non-stop, I wired it to a humidistat — set on 40 during winter, 50 during summer. Installed about two years ago, on the scale of 1 to 10, my satisfaction with the performance of my wave generic is a perfect 10!

Parts list:
• 80 CFM in-line exhaust fan.
• basic humistat
• 10' perforated drain pipe (for horizontal floor pipe)
• 10' non perforated drain pipe (vertical riser and short horizontal exhaust, cut to fit)
• 90° elbows (2)
• galvanized wall exhaust vent
• three feet of #14 wire

Old 04-14-2015, 08:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
^ Maverick how is your system dehumidifying the air? It looks like you are just cycling air by a fan.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ Maverick how is your system dehumidifying the air? It looks like you are just cycling air by a fan.
Exactly. But the air targeted for removal is the low-lying humid air.

I've had better experience with this serving the dehumidifying function that the window fan I once had in my basement. (And it's hard to find a window fan with that low a CFM rate.)

It's a hassle-free, glorified circulator that's virtually free to operate once installed. Most importantly, the hygrometer shows that it works!

Old 09-04-2015, 05:52 AM

8 posts, read 42,892 times
breezesystemsinternational.com

Old 09-04-2015, 05:56 AM

Why build it when you can buy a unit that is already made, attractive, quiet, and backed by a 5 year warranty for $299?
Check out breezesystemsinternational.com
They make a standard model and a heavy duty one.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
After demo'g the walls, I covered all of the concrete surfaces with 3/4" EPS, including the floor. The seams on the EPS were sealed using wrap tape. On the walls, 3" unfaced batting was inserted into the stud cavity and on the floor, two layers of 1/2" plywood were used as a sheathing. I sealed every gap in the drywall with closed-cell foam or caulk.
Sorry to go off topic, but I wanted to point something out. The way I am reading this, you apparently built a subfloor on a concrete foundation floor using plywood. The rest of your plan is sound, but the plywood floor is a bad idea.

As the saying goes, it is not "if" you will get water in your basement, it is only when. Once you have that leak/flood/etc. the plywood will get wet and become a problem. Either way, it is not good to place untreated wood directly on concrete. It is a problem waiting to happen.

There are better ways to create subfloors. They make a plastic product that rolls on, and you can place a subfloor material on top of that. There is also dir-core, which is basically plywood, but it has a rubber bottom with grooves to allow for air circulation to prevent moisture build up. There is also Tyroc (my favorite) which is the same concept as dri-core, but they use a mold/mildew resistant material instead of plywood.

Just throwing it out there.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:22 AM

Thumbs up Link for the Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl007 View Post
Can you post a link or be more specific on what "the Breeze" is from Amazon.com? I looked and didn't find it...Thanks
Here's the website:
breezesystemsinternational.com
phone: 800 993 9399

Old 03-13-2016, 08:54 PM

Smile link for Breeze basement ventilator - dehumidifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Link please?

Thanks
Here's the link to the Breeze Systems website:

Breezesystemsinternational.com

Here's a link to their Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Systems...ze+ventilation

Here's a link to their Ebay listing:

The Breeze Basement Ventilation System Dehumidifier No Bucket to Empty | eBay

The product is awesome, replacing your dehumidifier and making your basement livable for pennies a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island