Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:52 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,386,265 times

Advertisements

Just a curious question (to all you Jewish deli connoisseurs):

Did you ever patronize the former DELI MASTERS Kosher Delicatessen and Restaurant which used to be located in Fresh Meadows, Queens (Horace Harding Boulevard around 184th Street)? It went through at least two (or maybe three?) sets of owners in its history. The original owners owned it from around 1954-1955 to around 1985, then they had a new set of owners (not sure if they owned it to the end of the restaurant's existence in perhaps 2009 or if there was even a newer set of owners after the second owners who had it until the restaurant closed permanently).

The question is: What did you think of the quality of their food and, whatever you say, what years(s) where you in that restaurant that you are referencing here? People seem to have often said that the food was the very best with the first set of owners from 1955 through 1985 and then it went downhill after them. What was YOUR OWN experience and like or dislike of them and what year(s) are we talking about here in your shared observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 04:22 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Just a curious question (to all you Jewish deli connoisseurs):

Did you ever patronize the former DELI MASTERS Kosher Delicatessen and Restaurant which used to be located in Fresh Meadows, Queens (Horace Harding Boulevard around 184th Street)? It went through at least two (or maybe three?) sets of owners in its history. The original owners owned it from around 1954-1955 to around 1985, then they had a new set of owners (not sure if they owned it to the end of the restaurant's existence in perhaps 2009 or if there was even a newer set of owners after the second owners who had it until the restaurant closed permanently).

The question is: What did you think of the quality of their food and, whatever you say, what years(s) where you in that restaurant that you are referencing here? People seem to have often said that the food was the very best with the first set of owners from 1955 through 1985 and then it went downhill after them. What was YOUR OWN experience and like or dislike of them and what year(s) are we talking about here in your shared observations?
Grew up on Deli Masters. Place was great. Last time I was there was around 1990. Was great but not the same. Think they did go downhill between 85-89. Same with the old Host Deli on Kissena Blvd. nears Queens College. Miss both places they were great in the late 60's -early 80's for me. Can't recall when Host closed but know many that would know. Loved putting small dollop of kosher mustard on the Matzo Ball soup!

Oasis Bagel is still up the road from where Deli Masters was...going strong!

Old 11-16-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Grew up on Deli Masters. Place was great. Last time I was there was around 1990. Was great but not the same. Think they did go downhill between 85-89. Same with the old Host Deli on Kissena Blvd. nears Queens College. Miss both places they were great in the late 60's -early 80's for me. Can't recall when Host closed but know many that would know. Loved putting small dollop of kosher mustard on the Matzo Ball soup!

Oasis Bagel is still up the road from where Deli Masters was...going strong!

Thanks for sharing. I knew the original owners.

The last time I passed by there (in April 2013), the former location of the former Deli Masters had become a very classy-looking East Asian bar-restaurant (not sure if Chinese or Korean or whatever other type of East Asian) . . . looking like a classy nightblub-like ambiance inside. They had wholly re-done the interior design, look, lighting, et al of what it used to look like. Very impressive.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Yeah..the whole area is very different. Even the old Palace diner on Main & the LIE is Asian place now. Lake Pavilion nice place though. The Fresh Meadows movie theater just past 188th st. is still there. miss the good old Jewish delis though.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:25 AM

4,204 posts, read 2,321,250 times
Boomys in Plainview. Jewish food, deli and restaurant. Delicious, like eating in Tel Aviv.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Boomys in Plainview. Jewish food, deli and restaurant. Delicious, like eating in Tel Aviv.
Thanks for that suggestion! Will definitely check it out when in the area. Looks like it is in same shopping center as Trader Joes. I have 2 pretty decent places near me. One in Merrick,Pastrami King & the other in Bellmore is Bellcrest.

But always willing to try a new place..especially if it has good Hot Pastrami & Hot Corned Beef. Along with decent Matzo Ball soup! looking for good pickled lox as well. Not many places make that too well anymore. When lived in Florida the places that did make it were pretty horrible.

Thanks again for that recommendation! Will be few weeks & shall report back.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 AM

A joke:
Question: What do you get when you cross a matzo ball with LSD?
Answer: A trip to Israel
Another joke:
Question: Why can't you keep Jewish people in jail?
Answer: Because they eat lox <=== get it? lox <---> locks

Last edited by UsAll; 11-17-2014 at 03:11 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 03:11 AM

cute

Old 11-17-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Yeah..the whole area is very different. Even the old Palace diner on Main & the LIE is Asian place now. Lake Pavilion nice place though. The Fresh Meadows movie theater just past 188th st. is still there. miss the good old Jewish delis though.

I ate with others at the Palace Diner in October 2004 after having attended a second cousin's funeral (attended the funeral home service at Sinai Chapel just a few blocks east down the road from the Palace Diner, was driven by the funeral hearse/limo to New Jersey for the cemetery burial, then the limo drove us all back to the funeral home in Fresh Meadows and everyone went from there to the Palace Diner). So now that is not there anymore? Well, I guess the only constant in life is change.

Yes, I see that the Fresh Meadows Movie Theatre is still there (alongside the shopping center) and has updated itself over the years into a multiplex cinema and looks very modern and up-to-date these days. I wish the K-Mart was still in that shopping center; that disappeared as well.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,405,776 times
Lido Deli down by Long Beach is the best one left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island