Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
He is entitled to his opinion.

Wow you dont have to be nasty.
Jdawg, he has a wife and kids. The direction of this storm is a fact, not an opinion. I'm not trying to be nasty, but would rather he not wake up completely unprepared on Tuesday morning. It's not a time to be what I call "belligerently stupid" - I think we all remember how that worked out during Hurricane Katrina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Jdawg, he has a wife and kids. The direction of this storm is a fact, not an opinion. I'm not trying to be nasty, but would rather he not wake up completely unprepared on Tuesday morning. It's not a time to be what I call "belligerently stupid" - I think we all remember how that worked out during Hurricane Katrina.
Nothing is a fact until it happens. Meteorololgists are very often wrong.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Nothing is a fact until it happens. Meteorololgists are very often wrong.
You're right. A thousand governmental and private meterologists are probably wrong. They are in cahoots with the grocers and generator makers. Hell, I bet Obama is behind it! Or maybe it's Romney? I can't remember which conspiracy theory I'm supposed to espouse.

This isn't a matter of "are we going to get 2 inches or 20, and should my kids do their homework 'cause there might be a snow day?" This is a storm that I guarantee you is going to cause loss of life of people who are unprepared....and for some who are.

To hang your hat on "meterologists are wrong 50% of the time and still keep their job hardy-har-har" is dumb at best and dangerous at worst. What's the worst that happens from being prepared? You have extra food, water and batteries. First world problems.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:09 AM

I didnt say *I* think they are necessarily wrong with their predictions this time- I just said in general that they are.

You really cant comprehend things when you read can you?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 AM

Btw does anyone know if the jets game will be canceled?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I didnt say *I* think they are necessarily wrong with their predictions this time- I just said in general that they are.

You really cant comprehend things when you read can you?
I know you didn't. Didn't say you did. Just reiterating my point. And that reading comprehension comment from you is hilarious - how many times have you been called out on that on C-D??? I did get a 700 on the reading part of the SAT - I may be a little rusty since that time of my life, but I'm not that bad.

BTW - bet you're happy to be rid of that co-op with this storm coming, eh?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
How does it usually work with schools? I remember school being open after Gloria. My son is in preschool so i'm sure they will just close, but my daughter is in K.

Really looking forward to sitting around in the dark for 7-10 days and taking an upaid staycation because I'm screwed for work with no power or childcare :-( I hate you Sandy!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
As an emergency preparedness volunteer, I can attest to the "stupidity" of being a naysayer. Does it really hurt to have a go bag with your info ready? We are on an island and there is no way we are getting off in the height of a storm. In the event that you are not aware of this fact. NO first responder will go out in sustained winds of 50 mph or gusts of 65. For example, you decide it is all hype and suddenly a piece of patio furniture that you left on your patio because you didn't believe the warnings flies through your glass sliding door and in your efforts to clean up or remove it, you cut yourself very badly. Don't bother to call for an ambulance, your lack of planning could possible put a first responder in dire straits and they are not going to respond.

After many years of this, I really can't understand the mentality of folks who choose to disregard the warning, so what if you wasted time getting in supplies and batteries, better prepared and not needed than need to be rescued and unable to be.

Get your lists of important info together, ( Rx's, bank accounts, insurance policies) have water on hand, lanterns, food that you can make without power, you won't starve, gas in your car and some cash on hand.

Stay safe.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I know you didn't. Didn't say you did. Just reiterating my point. And that reading comprehension comment from you is hilarious - how many times have you been called out on that on C-D??? I did get a 700 on the reading part of the SAT - I may be a little rusty since that time of my life, but I'm not that bad.

BTW - bet you're happy to be rid of that co-op with this storm coming, eh?
SAT scores mean nothing. I graduated top 5% in my high school and bombed my SAT's. SAT's are not an accurate measure of anyone's intelligence.

You're missing the point, though. That poster simply stated his opinion and you reamed him for differing from yours.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Here's the deal - yeah we have a big storm coming that is a fact ... however the media is blowing this way out of proportion. As long as it sticks to the estimated path Long Island will be fine except for some wind and some flooding in coastal areas - it will be back to business as usual by late Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island