Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,357 times

Advertisements

Have a question about having a pet in my rental. I got a pet dog because of how I read the lease agreement. I read it as when I get a pet, at that point I will have to give a pet deposit which I'm fine with. Landlord says, zero (0) pets means no pets regardless what is worded after.

Here is the phrase from lease agreement;

ANIMALS. Tenant shall be entitled to keep no more than __(0) zero___ domestic cats, dogs or birds; however, at such time as Tenant shall actually keep any such animal on the Premises, Tenant shall pay to Landlord a pet deposit of ___TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS ($___200__), ONE HUNDRED ($100) of which shall be non-refundable and shall be used upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement for the purposes of cleaning the carpets of the building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I am not an attorney but it sounds like that is a fine if they find you have a pet, to be used to clean the place up. Look at the word ZERO.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,878 times
Hum.. your landlord DID SPELL OUT the word "zero" in case you were unfamiliar with the numerical representation of it that appears just to the left.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 AM

179 posts, read 493,996 times
sorry 24Hours... but I'm reading it as zero pets allowed. probably should have asked for clarification before getting the pet. that being said, couldn't hurt to ask your landlord now what can be done and offer a non refundable deposit for his/her troubles.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Sounds like your LL made an error with the lease, as it does give you an "out" with the pet deposit. It's extremely poorly worded, and that is his problem, not yours. Perhaps he meant to cross it out and forgot.

However, expect to have to find a different place to live when your lease is up.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Landlords can legally change/make new house rules as a tenancy moves along, written lease or no written lease. Keeping that in mind, according to your post, your landlord said to you "zero (0) pets means no pets regardless what is worded after." If that is verbatim what your landlord said to you either after you got your pet or before, then those are the landlord's rules. So the lease is poorly written - doesn't matter. They probably used one of those generic leases anyone can buy at a stationery store and filled in 0 (zero). What should have been done to make it crystal clear to a tenant was to cross out the rest of the phrases after the word "birds." Bottom line is your landlord told you verbally they didn't want any pets, and that's the way it needs to be. Your own personal interpretation doesn't matter - you're not the owner and responsible party of your dwelling.

Your landlord owns your dwelling and legally is entitled to make rules and enforce them as the tenancy moves on. It is not up to the tenant to make up the rules or to "read into" the written lease what you, as the tenant, wants to do. Arguing with your landlord over their badly/confusing lease won't help. An argument over the way the lease is written will just cause animosity.

Best bet is unfortunately to give your dog away or try and return it to wherever you got it from. Or move. Most landlords don't want pets because they usually cause damage - scratching, chewing, urination on floors, etc. You get the picture. The damage a pet can cause usually costs in the hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to remedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island