Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 AM

20,895 posts, read 28,304,535 times

Advertisements

News is now saying that it will get worse starting 3:00 pm into 3:00 am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM

180 posts, read 311,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
as in nobody's coming for you should anything happen. I just saw on the news a dad and his son went surfing in NJ and promptly got swept out about 300 yards. Coast Guard couldn't get him but a sport-fishing boat was able to. Lucky... and stupid, for risking others' lives. Dad-of-the-year award winner right there too.
Yeah, I've seen someone here and there within the shot of coastal news crews. Maybe there's an underground Darwin Award contest? ;-p

What was a boat doing out there? Was it just the rescue crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
News is now saying that it will get worse starting 3:00 pm into 3:00 am
That's supposed to roughly be the worst period, yes. According to the WeatherBug forecast I'm looking at, the wind forecast has been revised downward slightly, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Look I evacuated, I'm not one of the stupid ones... BUT i evacuated for Irene and nothing happened and it was like "I evacuated for THIS??". I think a lot of ppl are hesitant this time as Irene turned out to really be nothing like they said it would be.
There's a tendency for government people to overstate problems. I would think that they have a caution-leaning personality, and they want to cover their butts, which I understand. I wouldn't think it necessarily crazy to ignore an evacuation warning if you're really informed of the situation; I'd guess that most people aren't.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,198,088 times
Live on the water on south shore. Evacuated for Irene. Decided to stay here for Sandy. From 7AM until about noon we could not open door and no way could we leave ...that is what they mean by evacuate BEFORE it gets like that. Once storm peaks forget leaving..you are stranded.

I am at peace with it. From this moment on as Sandy approaches it will be downhill. Went through Wilma as lived in So. Fla then. Had no power for about month. Was very interesting time. Tree fell on house during Wilma. We were no close or on the water down there, so this is quite an experience watching the canal & high tides.

Just please everyone....stsy safe!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,954,380 times
watch out people, pine trees everywhere be taking aim for you - run for your lives!!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:34 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,801,311 times
channel 55 and channel 2 news is down the block from me in massapequa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island