Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM

200 posts, read 456,826 times

Advertisements

I've never seen anything like this. I drove past BJs in Farmingdale last night and the line was all the way onto 110 and more. Never thought I would see that in my life. Hopefully this all goes away ASAP!!

Last edited by inception937; 11-03-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 PM

251 posts, read 588,834 times
0 minutes...................I fueled up before hand and filled my two 5 gallon jugs and my generator. too bad everybody else wasnt smart enough to do the same. We were lucky though and only lost power for 8 hous.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM

180 posts, read 312,299 times
I've heard of people waiting 12 hours for gas? Curious, why? To keep generators running? If it was just for driving, I'd have put the effort into some carpooling arrangement and avoid any unimportant driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
0 minutes...................I fueled up before hand and filled my two 5 gallon jugs and my generator. too bad everybody else wasnt smart enough to do the same. We were lucky though and only lost power for 8 hous.
It seems logical now, with the power outages and the extra gas used for generators, but I never heard any warnings ahead of time about filling up on gas. The 'annual storm of a lifetime' is a real recent phenomenon ;-p

Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM

251 posts, read 588,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochcol View Post
I've heard of people waiting 12 hours for gas? Curious, why? To keep generators running? If it was just for driving, I'd have put the effort into some carpooling arrangement and avoid any unimportant driving.

It seems logical now, with the power outages and the extra gas used for generators, but I never heard any warnings ahead of time about filling up on gas. The 'annual storm of a lifetime' is a real recent phenomenon ;-p

i guess it just comes down to who prepares and who wants to roll the dice. Its a lot easier to buy gas, fill up and store it ahead of the storm. I mean we did have almost a weeks notice that a hurricane was coming.........A HURRICANE !!!! I guess it depends on what that word means to people. I've lived throug a bunch and i will always prepare more than needed.

Last edited by noupf; 11-03-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM

339 posts, read 933,534 times
None yet. I should be OK for a few more days.

I filled up on Sunday before the storm, still have exactly a half a tank left. I usually try to not let my car go under a half a tank (a habit drilled into me by my mother.) No generators. I lost power for three days starting Monday night power came back Thursday night.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 PM

200 posts, read 456,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
None yet. I should be OK for a few more days.

I filled up on Sunday before the storm, still have exactly a half a tank left. I usually try to not let my car go under a half a tank (a habit drilled into me by my mother.) No generators. I lost power for three days starting Monday night power came back Thursday night.
Almost the same here. I filled it up Monday morning at BJs (no line at all) and I have about 48% of the tank left. Good for about 150 more miles. My daily commute is about 30-35 miles roundtrip....hopefully the madness ends soon.

My power was lost from Monday night up right up until tonight.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 PM

596 posts, read 982,750 times
Zero. Filled up on Sunday. No generators. Lost power for about 8 hours. We live in a very walkable area, and have driven maybe once since Sunday.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
I live in queens and fortunately for me I did not lose power. I filled up on Tuesday and still have 3/4 left. I'm keeping my car parked until Monday when I have to go to work. Hopefully by then this crisis will be over with. By my house there are people actually sleeping in their cars outside the gas stations waiting for a delivery to arrive.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
I still have no power

Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
I ended up waiting in line and getting no gas, even after warning people through texts late Wednesday night into Thursday early AM that there was no gas from Massapequa to the Queens border. I finally found a station and topped off at sunoco in Garden City; no line, regular gas only (all this should've been a dead giveaway to stockpile some gas, but I was too tired to make the drive back and forth). Next day Thursday the madness with the lines got really crazy.

I went out real early Sat. morning and waited at Mobil on Merrick rd, but ended up with no gas after waiting more than an hour. I don't think anyone was expecting this kind of gas shortage. Even those who filled up beforehand got squeezed. Those with generators had to really ration its usage. Now that the power's back, I don't expect to be driving as much. So we will probably be good til mid next week. A lot of the gas is being used right now by people with generators, all the emergency crews, tree clearing trucks, etc. combined with the supply issues is a recipe for disaster. Jersey is also in a crunch on the gas front. I think we really need to examine what's going on at LIPA as well. Look at how critical they are to our infrastructure. I agree with other LIPA skeptics that perhaps they are not putting the appropriate funds into ensuring a sound network here. Their emergency response plan looks like the same one from the 70's. Maybe they don't really want a sound infrastructure here?

Quote:
Quote:
i guess it just comes down to who prepares and who wants to roll the dice. Its a lot easier to buy gas, fill up and store it ahead of the storm. I mean we did have almost a weeks notice that a hurricane was coming.........A HURRICANE !!!! I guess it depends on what that word means to people. I've lived throug a bunch and i will always prepare more than needed.
Oh, give me a break with this! The smugness in your posts makes me want to vomit . You were lucky--not smart. 8 hours downtime? No family, in-laws, or relatives to house/transport, or job to drive to?...yeah, if you live by yourself with your cat and have no relatives on LI, then you were good. And very lucky to have power after 8 hours. Go read your generator manual again. You would've burned through your jugs by Thursday. If you had places you needed to drive to and on top of that you were still with no power, then what? You certainly wouldn't be posting on city-data how you outsmarted everyone else. Please .

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-04-2012 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island