Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,475 times

Advertisements

Just passed the Gulf Station on Brooksite and Jericho in Smithtown. They've got gas, but have raised the price to $4.19/gallon for regular. The line snakes around the block and goes on for as far as you can see. Other area gas stations are closed and dark, no signs with prices. Power has been restored to this area.

So, GOV. CUOMO, what's up with this ludicrous gas shortage? First we'd have gas by late last week, then there was free gas on the way, courtesy the Nat'l Guard. Well, one week later, we're out and it looks like it's getting worse, not better. Clearly, our governor, who cares more about press headlines than substance and true leadership.

The free gas is a real hoot... apparently it was for the first responders, who really need the fuel. But they also gifted friends and family, instead of plain 'ol citizens, with the left-over fuel. Cuomo had promised this free gas to folks last week.

It's looking like Cuomo's storm restoration promises are just like his 2% property tax cap: it's not really a property tax cap at all and what is there has so many back doors and holes, it's worthless. Oh, and don't forget to vote tomorrow.... if you have the fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,034,873 times
FWIW that line only took 40 minutes today as opposed to 2 hours in St. James on Saturday. I fugure it will take until next week for a return to normal unless this Noreaster hits us hard. I think we should be doing the odd/even days like Jersey. (Never thought I would ever want to do something like Jersey)

Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
The hoarding is what is causing all the problems. If they would institute a 10 gallon limit or a requirement of half a tank or less the lines would be cut down by 2/3.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Getting 1/2 a tank would just have even the non hoarders going back 2x as ofton not really doing much for the lines.

Even the odd and even mathamatically doesnt do much. Instead of each day being a mix now you will just have a different mix of plates but the numbers are about the same.

Lets face it no matter how you try to divide up millions of drivers the numbers that need gas are still the numbers.

As kids in the 1970's i remember everyone swapping plates with their other cars or friends and getting gas whenever they wanted.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-05-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,356 times
if they were smart they would have got gas before the storm hit.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,034,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
if they were smart they would have got gas before the storm hit.
Those of us not driving go karts may need more fuel after a week.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM

200 posts, read 456,712 times
just passed about 5 gas stations on the way home from work....all of them very long lines....

i'm good for about 3 days maybe 4 tops...this better be over by then!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
The valero by me was giving out numbers to customers yesterday. My neighbor said she was # 27. She waited 40 minutes to get gas. It was well organized and cops were patrolling. The numbers thing seemed to work and everyone was guaranteed gas.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The hoarding is what is causing all the problems. If they would institute a 10 gallon limit or a requirement of half a tank or less the lines would be cut down by 2/3.
Hoarding is a big problem, but it's not causing all of the problems. Panicky people are a problem and let's face it, most people in the lines are panicking. Lack of planning is another problem; folks please fill your tank prior to the weather event. Also, politicians that promise fuel relief but then don't deliver is another big problem.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:34 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Those of us not driving go karts may need more fuel after a week.

I waited almost 2 hours for gas since there was no courtesy for first responders at the time (still not sure exactly where these places are) and I had 1/2 tank so I just waited like everyone else. I'm actually leaving my job later this week so I won't have a work ID but I was called by the Red Cross so hopefully they will give me something to show proof in the next few weeks that I will be volunteering until I move.

My main issue has been how fast the generator goes through gas, even when you are just running it a few hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island