Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM

24 posts, read 86,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
We made a move from the city/Queens/south shore Nassau county to North Shore Suffolk County (western-ish) for a little more house and a little more land. The south shore communities mentioned are all nice but if you are looking for a little more yard you might be better served looking in certain pockets of Western/Mid-Suffolk. It is what brought us to the area. East Northport could suit your price range. Other areas as well. We tired of offering more for the same standard cape on 60X80 plots along the Southern State Parkway towns and found a home further east that was cheaper, larger and had more yard (No offense to capes, my wife spend her entire childhood in one and loved her community). Some friends who moved to the area put us onto it. We also found that better than half of our neighbors all made the same migration/decision to move from the boroughs or Nassau County.

We just knew it meant being further away from family (not always bad by the way ) As with all of long island you will want to look into strong school districts even without having children because that is a bellweather for home values in the area. Also, by moving further east getting back into the city is more of a hassle but if you are looking to be in Massapequa on occassion it takes us about 30 minutes give or take from the Hauppauge/Smithtown area. We have family in Little Neck as well and this is about 30+ minutes. If your territory can vary it really opens up the entire island to you which is great. Best of luck to you. It is a buyer's market at the moment.
Thank you Jrprofess. I don't have kids yet, but we do plan on having kids hopefully in the next 5 years (we'll be married November of next year). We were thinking Suffolk based on what you get for your money and quality of life. One person told me Babylon, but then I read somewhere that parts of Babylon are "changing" and personally I don't want to deal with a changing neighborhood. My family lives Massapequa/Lindenhurst and my fiancee's cousin lives in East Norwich... and we have other family all over LI. His mother (father passed away two years ago ), sister, BIL and kids will be following shortly behind us- so we're trying to find an area that we would all love. Since his mother is living with the sister though, between the BIL, sister and my MIL they'll be looking for something more in the 1 million dollar range... so the area has to have higher end homes too, I guess.

I feel like there is so much criteria. Did everyone feel this way when searching for a new place to live??? Or are we just really picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM

487 posts, read 1,367,729 times
If I were you I would move to Suffolk County. I currently live in Nassau County and feel like it's the new Queens. It's gotten very congested and the infrastructure really does not handle all the traffic very well. Long Beach Road in Oceanside on a Saturday is a nightmare. Also, you are used to low taxes in Brooklyn. Be prepared for a huge tax bite, probably somewhere between $7000-$10,000, at least. As for me, I'll be out of here in a few years to the tranquil bliss of Northeast PA.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldginpa View Post
If I were you I would move to Suffolk County. I currently live in Nassau County and feel like it's the new Queens. It's gotten very congested and the infrastructure really does not handle all the traffic very well. Long Beach Road in Oceanside on a Saturday is a nightmare. Also, you are used to low taxes in Brooklyn. Be prepared for a huge tax bite, probably somewhere between $7000-$10,000, at least. As for me, I'll be out of here in a few years to the tranquil bliss of Northeast PA.
I work in much of Nassau, and some areas are busier than my part of Brooklyn!

I know the taxes are much more. We pay about 3000 in taxes for our home now... but the houses are MUCH more expensive for what you get in my area.

I'm really thinking you're right, and Suffolk is the best place to go- but I don't want to go TOO deep... so do you have any suggestions?

Good luck going out to PA!!! I'm sure it will be beautiful! Are you retiring or something?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM

487 posts, read 1,367,729 times
We're still working in New York for now,but building a new home in PA. We'll use it on weekends and vacations until the market improves. We've been in our home here for 27 years. We're in our fifties and plan on working til 65. Eventually, it will be our retirement home. As for where to go in Suffolk, Port Jefferson is beautiful as is Setauket & Stony Brook. However, these locations might be too far for you. You might want to look at Smithtown. Not that the taxes are any bargain in Suffolk, but I do think you get more house and property for your money. Suffolk still has 1/2 to 1 acre lots which you might like for your dog. The one thing I have come to dislike about Nassau County is the overdevelopment and the small property sizes. I'm currently on 40 X 100 and 27 years ago it didn't bother me, but it sure does now. I'm really resenting the lack of privacy in my backyard. I'm surrounded by either the back of a garage, the side of a garage, or my neighbor's deck. Don't mean to sound so negative, but $7600.00 in taxes for my tiny house is way out of line. In PA, I'll be on an acre, new home, backing up to state forest, and my taxes will be $2500.00 at the most.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM

169 posts, read 631,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleyes1437 View Post
I feel like there is so much criteria. Did everyone feel this way when searching for a new place to live??? Or are we just really picky?
Trust me, you're not alone. I've been looking for the "right house" for over a year. It is better to be picky and end up with the best possible house for YOU, even if it takes a very long time to find (assuming you have the time available and aren't under outside pressure to move within a specific timeframe).

Take it from someone who has made more than one "house mistake" in her lifetime. The reason I am being UltraSuperPicky now is that I have learned how expensive (literally) it can be to either buy the "wrong" house or to sink too much money into trying to make an 'almost right' house into the 'right' one.. fail miserably... and then watch the market tank and take your major financial investment with it.

Be picky. Be VERY picky.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:03 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,656,069 times
Quote:
I work in much of Nassau, and some areas are busier than my part of Brooklyn!

I know the taxes are much more. We pay about 3000 in taxes for our home now... but the houses are MUCH more expensive for what you get in my area.

I'm really thinking you're right, and Suffolk is the best place to go- but I don't want to go TOO deep... so do you have any suggestions?

Good luck going out to PA!!! I'm sure it will be beautiful! Are you retiring or something?
RPNY

Old 10-18-2007, 11:27 PM

240 posts, read 1,053,190 times
Quote:
Hey everyone! This is my first post and I found this forum while searching for answers.

My family lives in Massapequa. My fiancee and I are looking to move to Long Island within the next year (or sooner, hopefully). We aren't set on living RIGHT near them.

Right now, we're looking on spending about 500k on a home. Obviously we would like to get as nice of a house for our money as possible (it seems I always like the 1 million dollar plus homes ). We also want nice amount of land, for our dog... and just because we like having land.

Growing up and living my whole life in NYC, I am dying to have space! LOL!

We do not mind going out to Suffolk county if we find an area that is wonderful. Basically we want a great area with good schools as we will be having kids in the next 5-7 years. Granted, we may move by then to get a bigger house, so who knows. (My fiancee owns a home we won't be selling for a few more years... but this is our first house together)

We want an area that isn't close to bad areas. Granted, I could be paranoid living in a slightly "changing" area in Brooklyn (Marine Park/Mill Basin). I just don't want to have to worry about the same things I worry about here. And though I know crime can happen anywhere, I'd just like to minimize our chances and have a good quality of life.

Additionally, I can't live anywhere where the altitude is too high (I know, it sounds crazy) because my BIL who I am very close with, has meniere's disease and cannot travel through anywhere very elevated. My sister and BIL live in Massapequa.

Currently I work in a territory ranging from Far Rockaway, Queens to Rockville Centre/Baldwin areas. So I'd want to say within an hour or so of these areas- but I can always transfer my territory, so it's not my deciding factor. My fiancee will probably get a new job close to wherever we move because his career is in high demand everywhere. North Shore/South Shore doesn't matter to me as long as the area is great.

Can anyone give me advice? Tell me what I should be looking for? I really don't know where to start!!!!
Like Clamboy said, Rocky Point gets you a nice house for 500k. Actually, we have neighbors across the street that moved here from Massapequa three years ago.

This home is a great deal for 500k REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail Awesome neighborhood too!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:43 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Like Clamboy said, Rocky Point gets you a nice house for 500k. Actually, we have neighbors across the street that moved here from Massapequa three years ago.

This home is a great deal for 500k REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail Awesome neighborhood too!
!!! That's ridiculous for $500k, gorgeous house on an acre....sweet deal.

Angeleyes - I had a big white german shepherd dog (RIP ) that loved to run and our 60x100 yard was more than big enough for it, although of course it's always nicer to have more property. I've got friends around here with pit bulls and bull mastiffs and other crazy huge animals and they all get by alright...like you said though, there's no harm in being as picky as you can. You're spending good money to live somewhere and there's PLENTY of housing available all over LI, you should have no problem locating exactly what you want.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:25 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,295,603 times
Default Rocky Point might be a little far

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
RPNY
I'd recommend East Northport...also Kings Park as a hidden jewel that still has some very reasonable houses. Lots of families having recently moved in at about your life stage. Being right off of the Sunken Meadow is a nice convenience to the major parkways.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 AM

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier (a mix actually)!!! He's not big though- he's a medium size dog like Pit Bulls should be (any Pit Bull over 65lbs is NOT a Pit Bull... far too many people call dogs that aren't technically Pit Bulls, Pit Bulls, lol... sensitive Angeleyes topic ). His back just hits my knee!

I know he doesnt need a yard THAT big, but I'd like one for him! (Again, he's like our child... I do a lot of animal rescue work and took him and 13 litermates out of a REALLY bad situation at only 4 weeks... so from bottle feeding to now he's always been like my baby) Also, we're planning on adopting a smaller dog once we move... so he can have a little sister or something. He misses the other dogs during the week and we think he'd love another one around. So we want them to have a really good life with lots of space to run and play. Plus, once we have kids I'm sure it would be nice to have a lot of space for them to run and play as well!

I'm sorry about your White GSD Sean- they are amazingly beautiful dogs!!! I think a 60x100 yard is pretty big... no? Our houses in Brooklyn are on total lots of 20 x 100, LOL!!Long Island is so much better! Our backyard now is about 20x30

Thank you for the motivation everyone- sometimes I feel like people must think "Sheesh, you can't be so picky!"... but I just want to make sure everything is right, you know?

That house you posted rockypointny is EXACTLY what I would love, but it's a little too far out... even 15 minutes closer would be better. My sister/parents are in Lindenhurst/Massapequa and that would take her about 45 minutes to get to! But I swear, that house is EXACTLY what we'd want. I could have my father finish the basement and all we'd need to do is paint, put up a privacy fence and decorate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island