Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

I just saw NBC Evening news reporting on the power outages with significant time sshowing Long Island and the public outrage towards LIPA. Governer Cuomo was shown speaking also, can't he show some passion or emotion like Gov Christie? He comes across (think in a calm monotone voice) that we are very upset and this is not acceptable. Come on rant/scream call LIPA for what it is. Nassau County leaders are calling for the National Guard to get the power fixed. Maybe this will finally get things rolling...I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
They certainly should have brought the National Guard to Long Island last week right after the storm, to provide mobile warming stations, food and water, and to direct traffic at the busiest intersections when drivers were driving like maniacs where there were no traffic lights; also to prevent the looting. Con Ed gave out dry ice to some city residents, for heaven's sake, not that I would want to see LIPA personnel giving out dry ice instead of making repairs.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM

77 posts, read 164,756 times
National Guard should have been brought in a long time ago. People are desperate, freezing and stranded. We live in mid Suffolk and have friends who just got power back today. Gas station lines INSANE with people waiting up to 5 hours with toddlers in the car only to find out the station ran out of gas!
Places of business have been closed and so many out of work for a week. That cuts into rent and food money for so many people these days.
Looting, violence and pure desperation......calls for national attention!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
The National Guard was in the Long Beach area and in south Queens last week. I saw their trucks driving around Freeport just a few days ago.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 PM

592 posts, read 919,718 times
We had National Guard here in Huntington directing traffic. In fact, they were here this morning.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM

245 posts, read 495,616 times
The National Guard have been here since the day after the storm and are still here.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
I haven't seen the kind of disturbances I would think the manpower of the National Guard should be called in for. I'm sure there are compromised structures on the South Shore, without power, that are ripe for looting, but that's why we have a police force. Same thing goes for traffic control.

What we're seeing is an epic level of apathy and incompetence when it comes to our leadership. From schools that have been closed for extended periods for no good reason, to the still reduced service levels of the LIRR, we are not getting the level of service our property tax bills would suggest. Cuomo, who has been trying to turn the super storm into a PR win, has had little but rhetoric to offer those without electricity and gasoline. Much of it what he was saying was useless misinformation. The rest of our leadership has been missing in action.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
If the National Guard was here, then they didn't send enough because we didn't see them at all in my neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island