Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
your talking to the wrong people my friend. we are daily joggers and gym rats ourselves who do little driving around town. i commute for a living..

besides its not for you to comment on other peoples lifestyles anyway because painting every one with a broad brush means crap..
When I and others have to suffer because of other peoples poor choices we can comment all we want. There are numerous reports of people filling their gas tanks today and then also filling additional containers. There is no need for generators in this area.
This situation has just proven the greed and selfishness that pervades our society. Maybe its time more people started commenting. Maybe its time that we wake up and realize that rabid and uncontrolled consumerism is not a viable option. Having money to spend does not make everything you do right.

BTW, never commented on your personal habits. Just on what I actually observed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I feel the same way about those that insist in living in the flood prone areas and this isnt their first insurance claim.

Our insurance doubled in 5 years with no claims because they insist on rebuilding and living near water and the rest of us have to pay for it.

Did you see the idiot they arrested loading 30 home depot buckets with lids after he filled them up at a westchester gas station .

They arrested him and the attendent.

The garage i park in at home had to keep the door open after a moron transported a cheap jerry can in his backseat and it leaked in his car.

Those cans today are really unsafe because they have to conform to epa regulations and the cheapies leak.

A good can today with proper nozzle runs 270.00 bucks. Not the 40 bucks you see them for on amazon.

As they say you cant fix stupid.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-11-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
A good can today with proper nozzle runs 270.00 bucks. Not the 40 bucks you see them for on amazon.
I'm sorry, are you saying that you need to spend $270 to store $20 of gas? Um no. I spent what you consider cheap and I have no leaks whatsoever, and I've had it for 15 years.

I'm not saying I condone filling pails with gas, but you're extreme as well.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
A nice CARB-exempt metal 5-gallon can costs ~$47.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
The new EPA regulated/CARB nozzles are complete junk. You need 3 hands and 20 minutes to pour 5 gallons out.
You're better off using the old funnel method and tossing the nozzle in the garbage.

Another example of govt protecting us from ourselves, and "fixing" something that wasn't broken to begin with. Morons.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:48 AM

im not saying you need a 270 dollar gas can, i am saying thats what it cost to get one that doesnt leak eventually and is easy to handle to get gas in without breaking that cheap flimsey nozzle. if you havent broken it off yet you will.

why are these cheap cans a problem?

because epa regulations require a non sealable cap that vents.

it requires a nozzle that is able to stop your tank from over flowing when full.

it requires the nozzle on the can to shut off when pulled out of the tank.

the biggest reason for leaks is 2 fold.

these cheap cans are really made for diesel fuel and use rubber gaskets. gasoline eventually swells rubber and they leak. good gas cans use vitron seals which are quite expensive in comparison.

i would only fill up those cheap gas cans and dump it in my car that day. i would never store gasoline long term or even transport it on trips with me unless i had a scepter type can and quality nozzle. KA-CHING!

They are 270.00 bucks under normal times.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
im not saying you need a 270 dollar gas can, i am saying thats what it cost to get one that doesnt leak eventually and is easy to handle to get gas in without breaking that cheap flimsey nozzle. if you havent broken it off yet you will.

why are these cheap cans a problem?

because epa regulations require a non sealable cap that vents.

it requires a nozzle that is able to stop your tank from over flowing when full.

it requires the nozzle on the can to shut off when pulled out of the tank.

the biggest reason for leaks is 2 fold.

these cheap cans are really made for diesel fuel and use rubber gaskets. gasoline eventually swells rubber and they leak. good gas cans use vitron seals which are quite expensive in comparison.

i would only fill up those cheap gas cans and dump it in my car that day. i would never store gasoline long term or even transport it on trips with me unless i had a scepter type can and quality nozzle. KA-CHING!

They are 270.00 bucks under normal times.
I would get a can like that if I was driving through the Darien Gap or across the Sahara. For keeping outside my garage and using to fill the lawnmower/snowblower/car in an emergency - I'll take my chances with the $20 5 gallon piece of crap diesel can.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 AM

thats what most do use, the cheapie.

its not though what a reasonable person might choose to do if they were aware of the dangers in them and was actully going to store gas in them..

but everyone will do what they want regardless.

nothing in life is a problem until its a problem.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM

294 posts, read 743,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIguy257 View Post
Today was "night and day" from the last week. Even yesterday I got gas at 2PM on 110/conklin in Farmingdale (hugely busy intersection) with zero line (I drove past it initially and just assumed it was out, as I've gotten used to doing). Drove around a lot today and saw a BUNCH of open stations with no lines. The was all in Suffolk--the one station I saw in Nassau did have a line, but it looked like maybe 1/2 hour as opposed to five years. It's just weird because 48 hours earlier a functioning gas station with no line = a myth.
Absolutely. Drove through south Nassau and Suffolk the past two days and saw no lines at any stations.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
i saw lines of 3-4 cars only but half the stations are still sold out of gas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island