Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,757 times

Advertisements

This was just on the Hall of Shame tonight (Arnold Diaz reporting) on the 10:00 Fox 5 news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
True in part, and there are excesses, but the answer isn't to ban public sector unions, but, rather, to limit them:Full article..
Well, something has to be done, limit or ban.

Did you know that way back in 1937, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, a friend of private sector unions, was against public sector unions?

Public-sector trade union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management.

FDR on Public Employee Unions 1937 - YouTube

Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Yeah, 125 guys from Florida getting here a day late COST LIVES. Most likely they would have been sitting in the Nassau Coliseum parking lot waiting for direction and supplies because management can't be arsed to upgrade their computer system since 1975.

The system is left to crumble because it's a political patronage utility where bankers and lawyers are left to oversee a complex public service that won't bring itself into the 21st century. Much like most of the Island, which is suffering a direct result of antiquated government services.
How do you know it was only 125 guys? The reality is, it was like EVERY non-union worker that was delayed, and up to 4 days, not 1.

On Fox's Shame Shame Shame report, the Fla utility FMEA head said they were delayed 4 days from the IBEW thuggery.. Shame Shame Shame - New York News | NYC Breaking News , see "Union Turf Battle video" ..what happened to Cuomo's promise to "No Red Tape" in the storm aftermath? These organizations should all be held accountable.

People were dying every day after the storm. Whether through falling and cracking their heads open, getting sick, electrocuted, car accidents at non-working traffic lights...I can go dig them up and I'll start a separate thread on it. Don't disregard the financial impact/disruption on businesses across the island either. That is likely in the $ hundreds of millions all because of IBEW greed.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-14-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
BTW - just for a reality check. If any of you have a recent electric bill handy - what do you pay per kilowatt hour? I happen to have this month's electric bill on my desk now. Note that my power company is a small local one up here in NE Florida (moved from SE Florida 15 years ago) that doesn't generate its own power. It just buys power from the cheapest source it can. And I honestly don't know if my rates are cheap or expensive compared to anyone else's. Robyn
I don't pay an electric bill(landlord does), but here is some info about the new york area in a general
http://www.bls.gov/ro2/avgengny.pdf

Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
How do you know it was only 125 guys? The reality is, it was like EVERY non-union worker that was delayed, and up to 4 days, not 1.
Source?
Quote:
On Fox's Shame Shame Shame report, the Fla utility FMEA head said they were delayed 4 days from the IBEW thuggery.. Shame Shame Shame - New York News | NYC Breaking News , see "Union Turf Battle video" ..what happened to Cuomo's promise to "No Red Tape" in the storm aftermath? These organizations should all be held accountable.
How many? What was the result?
Quote:
People were dying every day after the storm. Whether through falling and cracking their heads open, getting sick, electrocuted, car accidents at non-working traffic lights...I can go dig them up and I'll start a separate thread on it. Don't disregard the financial impact/disruption on businesses across the island either. That is likely in the $ hundreds of millions all because of IBEW greed.
All because of IBEW greed? Oh. See I thought it was because the infrastructure is garbage and LIPA management is a dumping ground for political patronage positions. But now I see it was ALL because of IBEW "thuggery".

Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I don't pay an electric bill(landlord does), but here is some info about the new york area in a general
http://www.bls.gov/ro2/avgengny.pdf
Thanks. An average of 20.1 cents per kwh in the New York area. We pay 11.9 cents per KWH. Of course - many houses here are all electric (which includes cooling and heating) - so we probably use more electric in general than people up north. Robyn

Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Source?

How many? What was the result?
Umm, source is right in my post.

How many and what was the result is TBD.

Quote:
All because of IBEW greed? Oh. See I thought it was because the infrastructure is garbage and LIPA management is a dumping ground for political patronage positions. But now I see it was ALL because of IBEW "thuggery".
Ok, let me rephrase that: "IBEW thuggery needlessly compounded the losses and suffering"

Better?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Umm, source is right in my post.

How many and what was the result is TBD.
You said EVERY non union worker was delayed. Source?
Quote:
Ok, let me rephrase that: "IBEW thuggery needlessly compounded the losses and suffering"

Better?
It's your silly hyperbole, don't roll eyes at me because I called you on it.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You said EVERY non union worker was delayed. Source?It's your silly hyperbole, don't roll eyes at me because I called you on it.
I said it was LIKELY every non-union worker was delayed, as the executive director of FMEA also stated:

"I understand that there are other organizations throughout the Mid-Atlantic and the North-East that had the same situation."

What are you suggesting that they only pulled this BS contract on 1 utility? Is that why the APPA had to intervene to let the workers help?

The fact that even ONE worker was needlessly delayed for 4 days is enough for me to call it greedy thuggery, yes. That is not hyperbole, it is pure IBEW greed and a complete disregard for the public's safety. Stop trying to turn the tables and act like everyone else is overreacting while creating straw man arguments to deflect the truth.

IBEW was dead wrong. You're dead wrong. End of discussion.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:04 AM

126 posts, read 227,424 times
Default Not all the union's fault

I'm pro union, but the IBEW is well known for this type of behavior.

That said, why is everyone so quick to attack organized labor? Two things in that video stick out like a sore thumb.

The first is right at the beginning when the guy from Florida says "LIPA told me to call the union...". It was LIPA's job to take care of that, as they were the ones contracting out work.

The second is the part where Diaz shows the excerpts from the article: "The UTILITY must pay 22%...."That's right, that money doesn't come out of the contractor's end, it's extra money that LIPA must pay. They passed the buck bigtime here and shirked responsibility.

Look at a reliable, private sector utility like Con Ed. They have 14000 employees and they still follow the rules when they contract out additional relief work. LIPA has what, 3000 employees? They're understaffed because they don't want to pay, they'd rather line the executives' pockets..prevailing rate is in place to prevent just that.

Cheaper labor doesn't mean lower rates. It just means richer executives. Don't just blame the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island