Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM

78 posts, read 203,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Hurricane Sandy was not even a hurricane when it made landfall and was clearly not a wind event by any measure - so the fact that solar panels remained affixed to the roofs to which they were attached is sort of a moot issue IMHO.

One would have to imagine that if a hurricane with meaningful winds did hit the area that solar panels mounted 20'-30' in the air would be subject to flying debris and subsequent damage - I don't think having them would eliminate the need for a gas generator.
Meaningful winds? Long Island had 94 mph gusts...and myself and neighbors had singles ripped off our roofs. While not sustained winds > 74 mph, the gusts were certainly one hell of a wind event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Been said already but most solar installations in the northeast, aside from solar hot water, are designed to save money on your power bill, not to provide backup power in the event of a grid outage. The tech just isn't there yet to make generation via solar a cost-effective option since you can only power things via the panels as long as the sun is shining brightly, and batteries are expensive to purchase and maintain.

Some sustainable homes in other geographic locations that get a lot of sun can make better use of the tech via tracking arrays and molten salt energy storage. Not worth it in NY however.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
Meaningful winds? Long Island had 94 mph gusts...and myself and neighbors had singles ripped off our roofs. While not sustained winds > 74 mph, the gusts were certainly one hell of a wind event.
National Weather Service Forecast Office - Upton, NY

Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Most times the sun does not shine when its stormy,think I learned that in grade school

Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Most times the sun does not shine when its stormy,think I learned that in grade school
That's why you have batteries for solar set ups. You store the power when the sun is out. You will also have some charging even on cloudy days.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Hurricane Sandy was not even a hurricane when it made landfall and was clearly not a wind event by any measure - so the fact that solar panels remained affixed to the roofs to which they were attached is sort of a moot issue IMHO.

One would have to imagine that if a hurricane with meaningful winds did hit the area that solar panels mounted 20'-30' in the air would be subject to flying debris and subsequent damage - I don't think having them would eliminate the need for a gas generator.
We had 96mph winds how was that NOT a hurricane? The cat system only measures winds. Things like the storm surge and other things were at cat 2 or 3 level. even the national weather service disagrees with you.

EATONS NECK 96 655 PM 10/29 MESONET-ELEVATED 71FT (Est 87 mph at 10m)

Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
We had 96mph winds how was that NOT a hurricane? The cat system only measures winds. Things like the storm surge and other things were at cat 2 or 3 level. even the national weather service disagrees with you.

EATONS NECK 96 655 PM 10/29 MESONET-ELEVATED 71FT (Est 87 mph at 10m)
Stop being a drama queen/king already. Holly crap - ONE location in the ENTIRE METRO region had a wind gust measured at 96MPH. Do you live with the guy in Midtown who likened Sandy to Chernobyl in another Sandy thread here on CD?

Old 11-08-2015, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 4,218 times
Solar panels are built to withstand hurricane force winds, hailstorms, etc. Their lifespan is at least 20 years so they're built to be very durable. If you have panels on your roof, they actually will protect your roof from weather damage. If you live in Long Island I wouldn't let the possibility of a hurricane prevent you from installing solar (which will end up saving you money on your electricity bills, vs. the possibility you may not be able to produce electricity if there's another hurricane like sandy, which was a very rare occurrence).

As for not being able to produce electricity when the utility's power lines are down, that is true if your system is connected to the grid. Most residential systems are grid-tied because that's necessary to get a lot of the incentives & rebates available to homeowners. Some people have generators which store energy that the panels produce but are still grid tied. If you're worried about not having power in future storms that's probably your best option.

There's an article about the cost of solar in New York and specifically Long Island that was done by Solar to the People that you might find useful. They describe the average cost for solar and energy you can produce. They also have a bunch of other information about panels that you might find helpful. Good luck on your search!

Old 11-09-2015, 01:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Unless your house was flooded you had really no need for electricity in Sandy.

And if you house had a gas fireplace, gas stove or a pellet stove in Sandy like my in-laws house in a non-flood zone it really was a non-event.

You need an electric panel for solar to work and a good non damaged electric system. As a DR tool Solar kinda sucks

At one point I borrowed a generator for about three hours. I used it to pump the water out and when I was done it was fairly useless. I had plenty of gas in my flooded cars to sipon so guy was ok giving it to me as I returned it free with a full can of gas to boot.

Next storm night before checking into a hotel in RVC with back up power and ordering room service. Cheaper than doing all this planning stuff

Old 11-09-2015, 01:44 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Newer inverters allow one to tap their power production during the day when the grid is down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: