Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM

37 posts, read 59,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I don't actually know which parkway the Jones Beach traffic circle belongs to but I can say that early on I saw photos from the Office of Emergency Management that showed the area closest to the water directly in front of the Needle (Water Tower) had been totally eroded and the asphalt looked like a bridge overpass with nothing underneath it. That was right after the storm however.

I believe the pictures you saw was of the Robert Moses State Park water tower. Jones Beach traffic circle is fine to traverse. RM tower had errosion back in the 80's or 90's close to the circle as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
I notice TONS of additional traffic these past days. Ocean Pkwy closing explains it

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Here's a pretty recent link with some photos of the boardwalk damage.

Jones Beach Looking to Rebuild After Wrath of Sandy - Wantagh-Seaford, NY Patch

Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I don't actually know which parkway the Jones Beach traffic circle belongs to but I can say that early on I saw photos from the Office of Emergency Management that showed the area closest to the water directly in front of the Needle (Water Tower) had been totally eroded and the asphalt looked like a bridge overpass with nothing underneath it. That was right after the storm however.
The Jones Beach traffic circle is the intersection of Ocean Parkway and Wantagh Parkway.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I notice TONS of additional traffic these past days. Ocean Pkwy closing explains it
That's frustrating, since it means this increase in traffic will be long term. I was thinking it was just due to accidents. I've been late to work every day this week so far (but haven't been caught yet). I am not a morning person at all (I honestly feel I have a sleep disorder), so it's rough getting to work on time even when all of the roads are open.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Everyone at my office in GC is talking about the traffic. I usually take the Northern and that's been insane too...I've been taking back roads.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM

37 posts, read 59,815 times
According to Newsday (but comments state different): Ocean Parkway opened from Meadowbrook to Wantagh and from Cedar Beach to Robert Moses. Closed between Cedar Beach and Wantagh. Also see picture of parkway where damaged.

Parkways to South Shore beaches reopened Thursday

Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Looking at the pictures -- I am wondering why NYS will allow Trump to build his monstrosity there. He'll get to build, another huge storm will rip through, and the taxpayers of NY will be footing the clean up.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Looking at the pictures -- I am wondering why NYS will allow Trump to build his monstrosity there. He'll get to build, another huge storm will rip through, and the taxpayers of NY will be footing the clean up.
They're not building anything there. It's been a field of rubble surrounded by an ugly wood fence for some time.

I so miss the old Jones Beach restaurant.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:04 PM

37 posts, read 74,858 times
anyone have a link to any photos of the tower after the hurricane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: