U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:31 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,265,883 times

Advertisements

Your local town boards are the same many of the positions are appointed,Planning,zoning,building and it goes on and on
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,528,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Well written post. I pretty much agree with everything you said except that LI is a nasty place to live. I actually think its still a great place to live, but a nasty place to pay for. Tax Revolt? We can only hope'
Perhaps I was a little extreme... it's not nasty to generally live around here, but the quality of life is generally nasty and quality of life is a very subjective thing for each person. Afterall, what's valuable to you may not be as high on my list of priorities.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Maybe just maybe you guys in the TOH can finally get rid of Kate Murray next year, that might be a positive (but small) first step. I have to ask, you always quote that 'unique suburban character line' did some idiot politician actually say that?
That was Kate's mantra for years (still is). Her opponent last time, Gary Port threw it in their faces sarcastically the whole campaign. He got 30+% of the vote which for a democrat in TOH is like 110% in other places. Can't beat the entire TOH machine which includes every town employee being "encouraged" to be on their local republican committee as an unwritten (but widely known) condition of continued peaceful employment.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 PM

3,579 posts, read 3,298,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
That was Kate's mantra for years (still is). Her opponent last time, Gary Port threw it in their faces sarcastically the whole campaign. He got 30+% of the vote which for a democrat in TOH is like 110% in other places. Can't beat the entire TOH machine which includes every town employee being "encouraged" to be on their local republican committee as an unwritten (but widely known) condition of continued peaceful employment.
I consider myself a republican but I have to tell you I cant stand how both parties are run here. It's like the corrupt old school political machines of 1800s. All we need is a ward boss and Tammany Hall. Sadly politics on LI never seemed to catch up to the 21st century. Pathetic.

After Kate Murray cost us the Islanders and a massive development opportunity at the hub if she wins again I give up. What is 'unique' about the suburbs anyway? Isn't that an oxymoron? Lol

Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 AM

757 posts, read 1,367,462 times
Quote:
Just venting after today's LIPA article about MORE patronage (LIPA, this time) and fat public salaries and pensions.

How do you get out of this catch 22....half the jobs are public patronage BS overpaid politically connected appointee crap....BUT if you break public unions and let all those people go there is no private industry looking to fill the void and create jobs here to pick up the slack because taxes and cost of living are so high and govt is too dysfunctional and development unfriendly. Thus we NEED to maintain the BS public trough to keep the standard of living and home prices (maybe) artificially stable. Eventually everyone will have to work for the govt in some way and then it's just a big ponzi scheme of people paying taxes to pay their own salaries with no new revenues. Not sure hurricane Sandy was big enough to etch a sketch LI's economic problems back to a fixable place.

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures."
Thorton Wilder
Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

The problems is not the unions itself. Its the public saying fire public employees BUT most public employees do not maker a ton. The public employees making the big salaries are the ones at the top.

So they are never laid off because they lay off the people at the bottom.

People should stop generally blaming all public employees and start blaming the big wigs.

They laid off so many lower public employees that some departments cannot function now. One of them is housing In Suffolk. They were backlogged with all the normal homeless people due to layoffs.

Now they don't have the employees to house all the people who are now homeless due to the hurricane.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 AM

42,526 posts, read 17,413,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
The problems is not the unions itself. Its the public saying fire public employees BUT most public employees do not maker a ton. The public employees making the big salaries are the ones at the top.

People should stop generally blaming all public employees and start blaming the big wigs.

They laid off so many lower public employees that some departments cannot function now. One of them is housing In Suffolk. They were backlogged with all the normal homeless people due to layoffs.

Now they don't have the employees to house all the people who are now homeless due to the hurricane.
The Town of Oyster Bay is doing just that, all the political patronage remains while they layoff anyone not connected. I am beggining to believe that every employee at TOH is related in some fashion. TOB at least changed hands over the years from dem to rep, one party rule at the county or town level doesn't just promote corruption, it becomes a way of life. One party rule for 70 years in Nassau got us where we are, we can thank the majority of voters who refuse to go to the polls.

The voter turnout for the last presidential election was a little over 50%, the off-year town and school board elections are even worse, around 15-30%. Nothing destroys society more than the indifferent. Places like TOH that have a potent machine, but its really the 70% no shows that allow them to be constantly reelected.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,502,162 times
Today's NY Post - read it and weep. Your property taxes will not be capped at 2%.
New York’s teacher-pension squeeze-Editorial - NYPOST.com

Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

By your theory there are just wayyy too many big wigs. Kindergarden teachers making $125k, patrol officers making $150k. LIPA (where this story started) is nothing but higher ups. All chiefs, no indians. Warehouse clerks in the district I work make $65-$85k. Warehouse clerks?!? C'mon. The system is broken. There is little need for public employee unions at all. It is a conflicted deal between public unions, public politicians, public school boards and lawyers who play each side of the table.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,528,645 times
Quote:
By your theory there are just wayyy too many big wigs. Kindergarden teachers making $125k, patrol officers making $150k. LIPA (where this story started) is nothing but higher ups. All chiefs, no indians. Warehouse clerks in the district I work make $65-$85k. Warehouse clerks?!? C'mon. The system is broken. There is little need for public employee unions at all. It is a conflicted deal between public unions, public politicians, public school boards and lawyers who play each side of the table.
I couldn't say this any better!

I'm not sure, but I think MajorTom is referring to the political leadership, on both sides of the aisle, that is only too pleased to cut sweet deals with labor (ie., the unions) and has been doing so since the 80's.

I keep hearing about raises... pay raises for Sheriff's Deputies, for SCPD, for the school district's janitorial force (which is very well compensated, btw) and just recently, a nice raise for the town's employees.

I am now awaiting my annual property tax bill, which I'm sure will have a nice raise for me.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
is referring to the political leadership, on both sides of the aisle, that is only too pleased to cut sweet deals with labor (ie., the unions) and has been doing so since the 80's.
(
No argument there...and that comes back to the Nimby dopes who think Kate Murray is doing swell keeping the future at arms length. Unfortunately the future is coming regardless (it's almost here). Move forward or get left behind. The status quo is failing across the country and LI is the poster child for it and will be the 1st domino to topple. It's all built on a growing (especially commercial) tax base and that foundation has crumbled. The residential tax base is coming down right behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island