Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan75 View Post

I hadn't considered the Brookhaven district before, as it looked historically like a bastion of neoconservatism.

Brookhaven is a Town and the largest one on Long Island. The population is greater than the state of Vermont.

Stony Brook is a hamlet within the Town of Brookhaven.

We weathered Sandy quite well, save for trees falling -- which happens almost everywhere hurricanes strike. The only flooding to speak of was at the harbor where the water rose and bathed the road between the yacht club and the Three Village Inn. The rest of Stony Brook is fairly well elevated; I am just shy of 100' above sea level.

That written, the area is rather liberal and leans left.

Below average crime.

It is worth considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I'm a Common Senser (new party, can't get on the ballot, lol) and I'd prefer gay neighbors to Romney supporters any day.
C'mon! Common sense has NO place in politics & government & you know that.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
While the Hamlet of Huntington borders Long Island Sound, that's only a small part. You probably saw photos of a particular intersection in Huntington which they've been working on for years; it's currently under construction... again. The media doesn't usually cover the other areas where nothing happens

I live in the Huntington area (Greenlawn) and really we had no flooding. Halesite had a bit but not farther south. I don't know if that would meet your criteria.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
I'd check out Bay Shore, most of the area between Southern Pkwy and Montauk Hwy is reasonably safe and isn't gonna flood unless we get a major hurricane (cat3+).

Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
While the Hamlet of Huntington borders Long Island Sound, that's only a small part. You probably saw photos of a particular intersection in Huntington which they've been working on for years; it's currently under construction... again. The media doesn't usually cover the other areas where nothing happens
Damn google

Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Pick an area in blue away from either shore - that will take care of the liberal/flood criteria:
How Long Island voted - Results By Election District - Newsday.com

Select the crimes you are particularly trying to avoid and overlay the results onto the map above - that will take care of the safety criteria:
Long Island Crime & Police Reports - Newsday.com

WOW! I mean to go off topic. Riverhead voted blue. I guess they loose their race track now.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
WOW! I mean to go off topic. Riverhead voted blue. I guess they loose their race track now.
Clearly they've overlooked Obama's "close Riverhead Raceway" platform

Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM

36 posts, read 69,585 times
Rocky Point is 10 miles from Stony Brook. It's high above the sound, so flooding is not a problem. It's pretty diverse from a social, political standpoint. The recent election map showed it was a bit more blue than red, but it's no NYC, by any stretch. There are several mixed-race families as well as same-sex couples there. If a person is nice, the neighbors are nice back. Most people live and let live. Plus there are many rentals, some walking distance to the beach.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommanmia View Post
Rocky Point is 10 miles from Stony Brook. It's high above the sound, so flooding is not a problem. It's pretty diverse from a social, political standpoint. The recent election map showed it was a bit more blue than red, but it's no NYC, by any stretch. There are several mixed-race families as well as same-sex couples there. If a person is nice, the neighbors are nice back. Most people live and let live. Plus there are many rentals, some walking distance to the beach.
It is rather diverse from a socioeconomic standpoint, too, and during the time I lived there, it was very conservative.

Houses can be had much more reasonably in Rocky Point. Depending upon where in Rocky Point, it can be more than 15 miles to Stony Brook, or about 25 min drive depending on the time of day.

The question the OP needs to consider is how much further east do they want to go.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 AM

36 posts, read 69,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Define 'liberal' as in how I vote? Or accepting of other lifestyles?
I voted for Romney, but I wouldnt throw up a for sale sign if a gay couple moved next door.
Well said! Some of the anti-Romney supporter comments that are on this thread from the "loving" left make me cringe. Your comment demonstrates something sorely lacking by many--the ability to critically-think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island