Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:18 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm an early 20s soon-to-be college graduate in about a year. I am frankly sick of Atlanta, and when on vacation to NYC (we stayed on LI) over the summer, I liked what I saw. I don't want to jump into anything blind so that's why I'm asking now. I do not have a job (aiming for New York City) lined up yet, but with my field, I will find one. I'm looking for a realistic cost of living mostly. Let's just assume a $40,000 salary before taxes (yes, this IS realistic, that much I know) and an apartment. The geographic range I'd like is the entire north-south width of the island, but between the Mineola and Ronkonkoma areas. I've already started looking at a few specific areas: The Hempsteads, Mineola, Babylon, and Ronkonkoma, but there's only so much you can tell from Google, Apartment Finders, etc. I'm particularly looking for something near a high-frequency LIRR line, or a <20 minute (frequent) bus ride from a station (ok, having to drive a short distance is ok, but not preferable). The local social scene isn't a huge concern with NYC just a train away. Schools aren't a concern as I'm not intending to start a family for at least 5-10 years. So how crazy am I to be starting out on Long Island like this? At this point I'm not sure what else I should be asking, but anything would probably be helpful in some way.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

P.S. Feel free to ask any questions that might give a better idea what I'm looking for in a place to live, I'm bad at describing what I want without some kind of prompt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
You should do some further research on this board, including other posts about moving from Atlanta and in your salary range. If you read all of them, you will see many posters advising that 40K is too low to be self-sufficient here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-island.html

Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
Is that $40,000 before the $10,000 is taken out in taxes?
Rent-$10,000 ++ yr .
Car insurance-$2000 (age 20)
Cable/Internet- $1500
Cellphone-$1000
Gas-$500+
Food-$4000
Beer-$1000
There's $20,000 right there.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,974 times
$40,000 a year is far too low a salary to survive here.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
$40k def too low to live comfortably here.

Hempstead is pretty crappy- there are 2 "Hempsteads"- regular Hempstead and West Hempstead. West Hempstead is better than Hempstead but still neither one is great.

If you plan to work in NYC, Ronkonkoma is a very lengthy and expensive commute.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
The grass always SEEMS greener on the other side.
$40k will be a nice struggle even single and renting. Definitely hope you like roomates.
Are you seriously considering a 20min bus ride to a 1hr train ride and potentially a subway ride and then walk from there for a $40k per year salary?! Is Atlanta THAT bad?! What do you do there? Medical experiements? Break rocks? You really think LI is so nice it's worth a 3 1/2 hr commute per day on $40k to live here?!
I don't mean to be cruel (well yes I do a little cause you're young) but if NY is what you like, think maybe Brooklyn or Bronx w/ a roomate or two like most young people do it. Get the real flavor of living in NY. You can come to LI when you get married and have kids and decide to get fat and old. That's what it's here for.

For the record, Atlanta is one of the hottest (not just literally) economic success stories in the country. #1 city for stocks this year. Every indicator off the chart. You could graduate there and probably make a lot more than $40k, start your career and come to NY with a resume and experience which is a handy thing to have considering in NY you're competing for jobs with people from all over the world. If they are getting 100 responses to a job ad in Atlanta they are getting 1000 in NYC.

Good luck whatever you do. Personally, it's a no brainer. I'd stay in Atlanta or move to a more youth-friendly city like Brooklyn, Austin, Boston where the struggle is alot more fun with like minded people. On LI you'll mostly be bored and feel out of place.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Never move somewhere because you liked it on a vacation. There's a thread in the moving forum right now by a woman who did just that - she might make it 6 months in her new location.

I also suggest you take a trip up in January, preferably after a large snowfall.

If you're moving to further your career and move on, maybe. If you are planning on moving to put down roots and raise a family, respectfully suggest you spend an hour or two perusing all the threads on this forum. You'll be swimming upstream against people leaving, and they're doing it for a reason.

It's also next to impossible to make friends on LI at your age. I know you think you'll be hopping the train for the big city all the time - trust me that gets old fast, especially when you're schlepping in there every day for work.

BTW you might do some research on how much your commute will cost you PLUS you'll need a car on LI.

Good luck with your plans and congrats on being a soon to be college grad.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
The grass always SEEMS greener on the other side.
$40k will be a nice struggle even single and renting. Definitely hope you like roomates.
Are you seriously considering a 20min bus ride to a 1hr train ride and potentially a subway ride and then walk from there for a $40k per year salary?! Is Atlanta THAT bad?! What do you do there? Medical experiements? Break rocks? You really think LI is so nice it's worth a 3 1/2 hr commute per day on $40k to live here?!
I don't mean to be cruel (well yes I do a little cause you're young) but if NY is what you like, think maybe Brooklyn or Bronx w/ a roomate or two like most young people do it. Get the real flavor of living in NY. You can come to LI when you get married and have kids and decide to get fat and old. That's what it's here for.

For the record, Atlanta is one of the hottest (not just literally) economic success stories in the country. #1 city for stocks this year. Every indicator off the chart. You could graduate there and probably make a lot more than $40k, start your career and come to NY with a resume and experience which is a handy thing to have considering in NY you're competing for jobs with people from all over the world. If they are getting 100 responses to a job ad in Atlanta they are getting 1000 in NYC.

Good luck whatever you do. Personally, it's a no brainer. I'd stay in Atlanta or move to a more youth-friendly city like Brooklyn, Austin, Boston where the struggle is alot more fun with like minded people. On LI you'll mostly be bored and feel out of place.
I know it may be hard to believe Mongoose, but there are people (especially youth) that dislike where they live outside of LI (shocking I know!), regardless of the area's economic situation, low taxes etc. I saw it all the time in FL. Cheap place to live, but seemingly everyone I knew as a teenager wanted to go to more "exciting" places like NY, Chicago, LA etc. Many I knew (including myself) did leave and never looked back and some left and went back a few years later. Its different for everyone.

To the OP, I would NOT move here without a job, that is for sure, and 40k would def be a struggle. Like Mongoose said, If you like the city, and are single you may want to check out some parts of Brooklyn as well.

And Twingles how do you figure its next to impossible for the OP to make friends his age here? I moved back at 25 and had no problem finding people my own age??

Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I know it may be hard to believe Mongoose, but there are people (especially youth) that dislike where they live outside of LI (shocking I know!), regardless of the area's economic situation, low taxes etc. I saw it all the time in FL. Cheap place to live, but seemingly everyone I knew as a teenager wanted to go to more "exciting" places like NY, Chicago, LA etc. Many I knew (including myself) did leave and never looked back and some left and went back a few years later. Its different for everyone.

To the OP, I would NOT move here without a job, that is for sure, and 40k would def be a struggle. Like Mongoose said, If you like the city, and are single you may want to check out some parts of Brooklyn as well.
Respectfully Pec, you agree w me but also put words in my mouth. I never said kids don't dislike it where they are, in fact MOST kids want to get away from home for college or soon after, no matter where they are from. Particularly on LI. So an early 20's college grad coming TO Long Island w/ no job seems especially odd. He also seems naive of the real logistics of living on LI and working in NYC. I wished him luck, but that doesn't keep me from shaking my head in disbelief. I didn't advise staying in Atlanta for joy. I advised staying to start a career, build a resume and accumulate some cash so a move anywhere will have more chance for success. I still wish him luck. I just don't consider LI to be lucky place to be 20!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Respectfully Pec, you agree w me but also put words in my mouth. I never said kids don't dislike it where they are, in fact MOST kids want to get away from home for college or soon after, no matter where they are from. Particularly on LI. So an early 20's college grad coming TO Long Island w/ no job seems especially odd. He also seems naive of the real logistics of living on LI and working in NYC. I wished him luck, but that doesn't keep me from shaking my head in disbelief. I didn't advise staying in Atlanta for joy. I advised staying to start a career, build a resume and accumulate some cash so a move anywhere will have more chance for success. I still wish him luck. I just don't consider LI to be lucky place to be 20!
Sorry about that Mongoose, I skimmed your post quickly and missed your point. I certainly agree with you on career, salary etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island