Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,006 times

Advertisements

And what do you think?
I know a lot of people think it's over priced but I don't. I mean of course I'd like to pay less but in comparrison to the normal stupidmarkets they give you what you pay for I believe.
There's also a similar supermarket here in Huntington called "Wild By Nature".
Pretty much the same prices as WF's and the same quality food, just a smaller store.
The only meat I eat is fish...other than that I'm a total vegan. I've also been macrobiotic for a few years now. My wife eats the same as most other people so she shops at Waldbaums. I pick her up a roasted chicken once in a while from the good healthy supermarket I go to and she likes it. Thing is its a cpl of dollars more at my supermarket. Then just the other day I was at Waldbaums picking up some O'Doul's and I snagged a roasted chicken for her there. She said it was night and day from the good supermarket. Tasted way better from my place ....and this is coming from Mrs. Skeptical...lol.

Everything seems so much better at Whole Foods and Wild By Nature.
Even their phylosophy ... Whole Foods Market : Company : Whole Philosophy (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/company/philosophy.html - broken link)
..they way they choose what they sell and how they treat their employees. Similar to how Ben and Jerry started out.
I'm more than happy to pay extra to have quality and consciousness all wrapped into one! I wish more places in every field were like that.
What about you?
Be well
andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,950 times
IMO Whole Foods is very overpriced.Too bad you don't have Wegmans down there. Much greater selection of organics/local foods at prices that are quite reasonable. Wegmans has been in the top ten places to work for (not just supermarkets) for years and it shows in the attitude of those who work there.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomvang View Post
Wegmans has been in the top ten places to work for (not just supermarkets) for years and it shows in the attitude of those who work there.
100 Best Companies to Work For 2007: Whole Foods Market snapshot | FORTUNE
and this is in the entire country!
and yeh...too bad Wegmans isn't here..but it isn't : (
So out of what we have here...this is all we can choose from....

Old 10-14-2007, 07:28 PM

406 posts, read 1,450,950 times
Before we moved upstate we would buy our produce at the local specialized produce places, Johns Farms in Plainview is one of the better ones. Speaking of Plainview, Fairway is also a wonderful place to shop. BTW, Wegmans is #3 on the list you posted .

Old 10-14-2007, 08:43 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
I shop at Whole Foods when I can, mostly to buy meat and veggies/fruits. I love that store and think that it is money well spent. Love their roasted chickens.

I was really impressed with Wild By Nature's fruits and veggies too. But I don't get over there too often. Hoping to move to the vicinity.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I shop at Whole Foods when I can, mostly to buy meat and veggies/fruits. I love that store and think that it is money well spent. Love their roasted chickens.

I was really impressed with Wild By Nature's fruits and veggies too. But I don't get over there too often. Hoping to move to the vicinity.

I think if you're a savy shopper you don't need to spend a fortune there.
You can't shop there like you're at COSCO or Stop n Shop...but I HATE regular Stupidmarkets. Makes me nauseous.
I don't eat meat but when I pass the meat dept you can just tell its quality stuff and the deli dept....YIKES...thats where you can empty your pocket book.
I keep way clear of there...lol.. (most of the time.. heh hee)

And yeh...Huntington is my favorite town on long island...hands down!! Thats why we moved here about 25 years ago. It just about has it all.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,849 times
We only shop at Whole Foods or Wild by Nature. The quality of everything is so much better. I don't mind the prices, I think its worth it since I'm not poisoning myself or my children with preservative and hormone laden food.

We spend about $400 per month on our food.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:36 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Fairway is my favorite supermarket. If you look, they have some great bargains - go there on Sunday morning, and check out the sirloins.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:26 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
Fairway is excellent, I like it even better than Whole Foods.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Fairway is my favorite supermarket. If you look, they have some great bargains - go there on Sunday morning, and check out the sirloins.
Agreed...excellent selection, pretty good prices, and it's a local place...only, what, 4 of them in NYC metro. I mean, the place even makes good bagels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island