Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,520,397 times

Advertisements

Adam......you can always be aggressive in the negotiation process to save money.....& I think the right broker can help you with that. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM

9 posts, read 23,186 times
Quick update - I closed recently on a house. I can strongly recommend Redfin as a buyer's agent as long as one is: sufficiently skilled with the internet & financial research, knowledgeable about the area(s) where one is looking for a home, and willing to do most of the work to support one's home search. I received a commission rebate equal to about 1% of the purchase price and was very happy with their knowledge, support and resources. Thanks to everyone who provided helpful advice.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,729,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam777 View Post
Quick update - I closed recently on a house. I can strongly recommend Redfin as a buyer's agent as long as one is: sufficiently skilled with the internet & financial research, knowledgeable about the area(s) where one is looking for a home, and willing to do most of the work to support one's home search. I received a commission rebate equal to about 1% of the purchase price and was very happy with their knowledge, support and resources. Thanks to everyone who provided helpful advice.
I haven't read every post on this thread, but I'm wondering what Redfin did for its commission. Also, I am engaged in two transactions where the negotiation skills and contacts of the agents are proving critical. I doubt Redfin agents have this capability. I have looked at the Redfin listings and it sometimes appears as if the company just assigns any warm body to the listing without regard to knowledge of the area. I think there are times when a cookie-cutter approach may be fine, but I consider myself fortunate to have two knowledgeable agents on my case. I am gaining a better understand of how they earn their money.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,298 times
here's a how to guide that I found useful ... pre-negotiated 1.5% rebate with a top local agent
http://www.hauseit.com/how-do-i-get-...rebate-in-nyc/

Old 11-07-2015, 06:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,428,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam777 View Post
I am looking to purchase a house in northern Nassau county. I'm targeting just one or two school districts and doing lots of research online. There is very limited inventory in my price range and targeted area, so there are less than a dozen houses I want to see. My price range is well above the average house sale price in the county and I am very likely to buy in the next 6 months.

Considering my situation (which should be highly attractive to an agent), I would like to find a competent and experienced buyer's agent who is willing to provide us with a substantial commission rebate or apply part of their commission to closing costs. If the purchase price is multiples of the average and commissions are a percentage of this, it seems to me that an agent could rebate 50% or more of their commission and still be very well compensated for their time and expertise.

Is this line of reasoning sensible? Ideally I would like to sign an exclusive buyer's agent agreement with someone with these terms spelled out in advance of starting to look at houses. Will I be able to find someone who is competent and experienced and flexible enough to do this? If anyone has a recommendation please feel free to share it with me. It would be very helpful in advance of calling or emailing dozens of agents.

Thanks in advance!

redfin.com is exactly what you want, every home on MLS is on it and Redfin gives a check aka rebate to buyers at closing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island