Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the project like many of King Robert Moses were just too far fetched and served no real viable pupose. He destroyed enough neighborhoods during his tenure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That wasn't Amtrak but a private proposal , Amtrak decided to go with a New inland route along I-684-84-US6....to Boston...
It was a route they considered, though. The only difference is that there would be a connection to MacArthur Airport, then swing north to Connecticut.

Regarding 135, it was supposed to become I-287. To the north, it was supposed to cross into Rye. To the south, it was supposed to meet the Wantagh Parkway right before Jones Beach. The wide median near Bethpage Park is where the Bethpage Parkway was supposed to intersect.

There was indeed a proposal a couple of years ago to send a tunnel under the river to Rye, but nothing ever came of it.

The advantage of having the tunnel going into Rye instead of Stamford was that it would mitigate the need for a bi-state agency. When you get too many cooks in the kitchen, nothing ever happens.

As far as sending a train into Connecticut, while I think it's a cool idea, how many people would really use it? As Nexis said, Amtrak is no longer interested in running trains down Long Island, so who would use the tunnel? I guess it would give Long Islanders the option of commuting to Stamford or Bridgeport.

An Amtrak line through Long Island would be cool, but it would only work if the mainline were expanded to four or five tracks. As we've seen, just adding a third track is an uphill battle (mind you, these same people complain about LIRR delays!!). It would be cool to have a one seat ride to Philly, Baltimore, or Washington.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
I remember back in the mid-70's there was a big controversy over building a cross-sound bridge that would have connected Sea-Oyster Bay to points north. The problem is the extension would have cut right through some very wealthy backyards as it cut through Syosset to Oyster Bay Cove/Laurel Hollow, Cove Neck, past Centre Island.

It's unfortunate because it would have really changed LI's economic trajectory.
Yep. They don't call it the Gold Coast for nothing. That's why the Northern State twists and turns so much in that area - when it was being built, all the old money in the area pretty much dictated where that road went and ensured that it had as little effect on their lands as possible.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Yep. They don't call it the Gold Coast for nothing. That's why the Northern State twists and turns so much in that area - when it was being built, all the old money in the area pretty much dictated where that road went and ensured that it had as little effect on their lands as possible.
Yet the Cross Bronx Expressway rammed right through working class neighborhoods, even though there was an alternate alignment with negligible impact to the route that would've been less devastating. But no, no, no, it had to cut across that way.

That's how Moses rolled.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
It was a route they considered, though. The only difference is that there would be a connection to MacArthur Airport, then swing north to Connecticut.

Regarding 135, it was supposed to become I-287. To the north, it was supposed to cross into Rye. To the south, it was supposed to meet the Wantagh Parkway right before Jones Beach. The wide median near Bethpage Park is where the Bethpage Parkway was supposed to intersect.

There was indeed a proposal a couple of years ago to send a tunnel under the river to Rye, but nothing ever came of it.

The advantage of having the tunnel going into Rye instead of Stamford was that it would mitigate the need for a bi-state agency. When you get too many cooks in the kitchen, nothing ever happens.

As far as sending a train into Connecticut, while I think it's a cool idea, how many people would really use it? As Nexis said, Amtrak is no longer interested in running trains down Long Island, so who would use the tunnel? I guess it would give Long Islanders the option of commuting to Stamford or Bridgeport.

An Amtrak line through Long Island would be cool, but it would only work if the mainline were expanded to four or five tracks. As we've seen, just adding a third track is an uphill battle (mind you, these same people complain about LIRR delays!!). It would be cool to have a one seat ride to Philly, Baltimore, or Washington.
It was never on the Amtrak radar , but they did estimate 35,000 would use the tunnel daily by train... The Tunnel from Wading River to West Haven that is... The I-287 Rail before it was sheveled was expected to get at least 120,000 daily riders.... The Lower Manhattan Rail Access which would have rerouted some Amtrak service onto LI was expected to get 350,000 but it was quietly sheveled... There are alot of routes that could be restored in this region and tap growing areas or relieve congestion. The only thing that appears to be stopping these projects is lack of politic will.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It was never on the Amtrak radar , but they did estimate 35,000 would use the tunnel daily by train... The Tunnel from Wading River to West Haven that is... The I-287 Rail before it was sheveled was expected to get at least 120,000 daily riders.... The Lower Manhattan Rail Access which would have rerouted some Amtrak service onto LI was expected to get 350,000 but it was quietly sheveled... There are alot of routes that could be restored in this region and tap growing areas or relieve congestion. The only thing that appears to be stopping these projects is lack of politic will.
Hey, Nexis. I think we may have misunderstood each other

What I was saying was that, at some point during R&D, Amtrak did consider using the LIRR mainline/Rokonkoma Branch to send trains over the LI Sound.

Take a look at page ten in this document... http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/214/393/...t-Corridor.pdf

Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Hey, Nexis. I think we may have misunderstood each other

What I was saying was that, at some point during R&D, Amtrak did consider using the LIRR mainline/Rokonkoma Branch to send trains over the LI Sound.

Take a look at page ten in this document... http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/214/393/...t-Corridor.pdf
Good catch on that one. One day there will be a train or auto (or both) tunnel. I think the bridge will never happen. Just IMHO.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Good catch on that one. One day there will be a train or auto (or both) tunnel. I think the bridge will never happen. Just IMHO.
I'm doubtful we'll ever get a LI Sound Crossing, unfortunately. As it stands, Nexis is right, even Amtrak backed away from the idea sending the Acela under the Sound.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Robert Moses had a LOT of flaws both pesonally and professionally BUT he got stuff done! Good luck trying to get 1/100 of the projects done he completed.....never happen.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Agreed KB, he may have been an arrogant, ruthless SOB, and was unwilling to see other sides, but we need someone like him today.
Not that he cared about mass transit, but if he did, the LIRR would have been running into Grand Central in 1969!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island