Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM

18 posts, read 69,520 times

Advertisements

Anyone have pictures of Smithtown: The old Ruoff's restaurant at the corner of Main St. and Landing Ave., the old Good Steer when it was a diner at the same intersection as above, the old Smithtown HS (East), Sweetbriar elem., the Hilltop diner, the strip mall where Penny's used to be, the old Movie theater, Glamore Motors, Brown's Hardware store, Billy's Blakes - ANY old pictures would be welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:32 AM

18 posts, read 69,520 times
Stony Brook, Setauket pictures, anyone? Would love to see the town area where the "Corners" bar and "Shepard's used to be on main street in Setauket (back in the early to mid 1960's). How about the Stony Brook RR station?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 PM

220 posts, read 1,118,918 times
Greenport
June 8, 2008

Train Station:

Carousel:

View from Front Street (that's Shelter Island across the water):

Last edited by Jennifer06; 06-09-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Outstanding. Not a bad place to wait for the LIRR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
Greenport
June 8, 2008

Train Station:

Carousel:

View from Front Street (that's Shelter Island across the water):

Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 AM

220 posts, read 1,118,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Outstanding. Not a bad place to wait for the LIRR...
Oh, good; I'm glad you like them. I didn't know which photos to post. Greenport is such a lovely place to spend the day.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
Oh, good; I'm glad you like them. I didn't know which photos to post. Greenport is such a lovely place to spend the day.
I'd say post them all...let us decide which are great and which are just damn good. I'd say, by the looks of these, that there won't be many disappointments.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Wow, memories. I lived in Smithtown for 20 years. Just moved to Florida last year (ugh). It's been a long time since most of those stores were there.

Yes, I would love to see some old pix also. Anyway, keep these posts up. SO nice to be able to see trees, ANY tree that isn't a palm.

Smithtown was a wonderful place to live and raise a family. My daughter now lives and works in the City, but is coming home to Smithtown to get married. She might even buy a home there and carry on the tradition.

I hope someday, I too, can return.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Default Tour of Bellmore, NY

Here's a bunch of pictures from Bellmore that I took today...

The heart of what's called "Bellmore Village" (it's not a village, it's a hamlet) is Bedford Avenue. A mixed use strip that was first developed in the late 1800s. The entire area occupies about four blocks and has several restaurants, bars and other assorted places you would expect to find in a suburban downtown setting.

I don't know why this picture is so crooked:

Near the train station is a movie theater that is widely known as "The Bellmore Itch" although it's official name is "BELLMORE MOVIES". It's a single screen theater that mainly plays local and indie films. There used to be an impressive marquee out front that fell off a few years ago and was never replaced:

The residential neighborhood in this area is mainly old style bungalows with some newer suburban sprawl era ranches and capes mixed in:

On the east side of Bellmore Avenue is what I call the "Beltagh" neighborhood since the border between it and Wantagh is fuzzy at points, and follows the path of a creek that doesn't show up on many maps nowadays.

Sunrise Highway is the main point of entry to and from Bellmore and surrounding areas and provides easy access to the Wantagh and Meadowbrook State Parkways. It's dotted with gas stations and supermarkets along this stretch. Not very exciting.

Every Friday night during the summer there's a great car show in the train station parking lot:
http://www.wikimapia.org/p/00/00/23/69/15_big.jpg (broken link)

Before the South Side Rail Road arbitrarily named this area "Bellmore" (which roughly translates to "Green Meadows" from German) when it's tracks stretched this far east in 1867, it had been known as New Bridge since the early part of the 19th century. That name comes from the fact that Merrick Road had a "New Bridge" built over an inlet....guess things weren't really all that exciting back then. The SSRR eventually was bought out by the LIRR. Most of the current day Babylon Branch was originally built by the SSRR.

Between Merrick Road and Sunrise Highway, it's generally more of the same...

Heading further south, we finally reach the canals, inlets, old fishing shacks and summer cottages where modern day Bellmore really started to take shape with the growth of the oyster and resort industry.

Bellmore has one of Nassau County's few dirt roads (gravel, actually) and it's even marked by the Town of Hempstead! This road was pure dirt, then paved, then tore up...I believe they use gravel now because it's more permeable and doesn't flood as bad. There are a total of three homes on this tiny peninsula.

The further south you go in Bellmore, the gaudier the McMansions get. These homes were mostly built from the 1960s until now, before that this was all salt marshes. You can't see it, but most of these have a stunning view of East Bay across to Jones Beach.

Well that's it...hope you enjoyed this tour of Bellmore...I'll try to do a better job with the next town I do!

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 06-12-2008 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-14-2008, 01:24 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Woah sean thanks for the pictures, seems like a very nice town.

Ive never really left Valley Stream, always in the highway to and from Roosevelt Field, never any other towns in Long Island. So its cool to see what they look like.

Keep it up, what towns do you think your going to do next?

Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
Woah sean thanks for the pictures, seems like a very nice town.

Ive never really left Valley Stream, always in the highway to and from Roosevelt Field, never any other towns in Long Island. So its cool to see what they look like.

Keep it up, what towns do you think your going to do next?
Any suggestions? Depending on how late I'm out tonight I was planning on doing another tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island