Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 AM

169 posts, read 500,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Doubtful. It would be more victim to add to the list unfortunately.
Remember he shot his way thru the door/window. The armed guard would be running for cover or be shot with the bullets as he entered.
Don't think so. I'm all in favor of changing gun laws, but let's not let that distract us from the real issue here - security (or lack thereof) at schools. 600 kids packed into one building with no proper security. That's asking for something to happen.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:59 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
I think if you are going to have an armed person in a school, it cannot be a teacher/principle/etc. It's too much to ask in terms of training. And, instantly you change they type pf person you need. You instantly have to be concerned with wondering...is my kids teacher good enough to run a classroom AND shoot the guy trying to storm the school? It almost invariably needs to be a police officer. Not a hired security guard, unless they are specifically trained for it.

More guns isn't necessarily the answer, but more people with guns AND the right intentions, at the right place may be.

But another issue is the design of schools...ingress/egress points and how to monitor all of them. The elementary school my kids go to here in VA is warm, open, welcoming...and a security nightmare! This is not an easy problem, but we do it pretty successfully for our military bases/VIP's and others. Why would we NOT put an armed person in there to protect our kids?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
Gee...so let's eliminate outdoor recess or gym now. Afterall....someone can pull into parking lot and open fire.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:29 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Prisons are pretty secure, maybe we could design schools like a prison.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 AM

3,521 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Doubtful. I think you're both clueless. Regardless I can guarantee you an armed guard at each of the schools where shootings occurred would have at least saved some, possibly most lives.

so where would you go with your guns to inflict maximum casualties??
You are assuming the said armed guard isnt sitting by the front door when the attacker starts firing randomly spraying the entry with bullets. If he/she's by the front door human reaction will have him ducking from the flying glass. If's he's not at the front door perhaps he has a chance of stopping the guy, assuming he/she surprises him.

Remember the shooting this year by the Empire State building, the cops actually shot more people on the street than the criminal. Granted this was a hit job but still.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
You are assuming the said armed guard isnt sitting by the front door when the attacker starts firing randomly spraying the entry with bullets. If he/she's by the front door human reaction will have him ducking from the flying glass. If's he's not at the front door perhaps he has a chance of stopping the guy, assuming he/she surprises him.

Remember the shooting this year by the Empire State building, the cops actually shot more people on the street than the criminal. Granted this was a hit job but still.
Another reason not to have guns in schools, even professionals in these totally random once in a lifetime situations have a difficult time. There are plenty of examples on LI of friendly fire killing cops, ATF, etc, they last thing we need is guns inside schools. Schools need to be vigilant and secure their property as best they can but armed guards/teachers is going in the wrong direction.

How far do you go with that, armed guards on buses, in the balconies at concerts. at sporting events.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
Playing devil's advocate, but how is arming a teacher or a principal going to prevent something like this from happening again? These people give no warning to what they are about to do. Just usually just walk in and start shooting. If a teacher had a gun, they wouldn't have time to pull it out and kill the shooter.

The CT maniac shot through the glass and walked in. Just enough warning for armed security to shoot him dead and save innocent lives.
Too bad it didnt go down like that.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I would never send my child to a school that had armed teachers. No way!

The frequency at which these things happens isn't worth having children surrounded by guns.

I'm speechless you would actually say this in light of what happened. Had your kid been in that CT school you would be praying someone other than the shooter had a gun.

Oddly, I bet you would have no problem letting your kids hang around a police station-a place where everyone is armed and there is even the occassional criminal hanging about.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Children have had access to violent video games, violent movies, violent images in the news media. They grow up desensitized. Has anyone thought about banning violent video games? Perhaps banning violent blood bath movies?
1980 called...and 1990...and 2000
Same story after all these years.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Oh please. I watched Combat as a kid and never threw a live hand grenade at my brother.I watched the Three Stooges and never hit my friend with a lead pipe. I watched The Road Runner and never tried to drop an anvil on my neighbor. I had BB guns,arrows,slingshots and rocks and never aimed to hit anyone.....though I scored an uncle's forehead with a Lawnjart at age 7. At age 52 I even play XBOX Call of Duty with my 10 year old nephew and he seems well-adjusted. Then again some here would suggest I should buy him an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas.

I watched a Superman episode and jumped out of a 6th floor window.
Thankfully, I can fly so I wasn't seriously injured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island