Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM

65 posts, read 71,003 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone know of a company or business that buys used furnitures in Long Island? That I'd like to sell before I move out?

I'm aware that selling them to the neighbors is an option.

However, if I can, I'd like to try to take the quicker, more professional route. Whereas the company would also take of moving them out and all. Even if it means I'll possibly sell them at a cheaper rate and all.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM

65 posts, read 71,003 times
There's got to be some company or business somewhere in the Island that buys used furnitures from tenants prior to their move and all, no?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
It is hard to even give away used furniture let alone sell it. You can post on sites like craigslist and maybe someone will buy it and pick it up. Charities might pick it up but they will not pay. They will however give a donation receipt for tax purposes. There are no businesses that will buy and pick up unless it's some really valuable antique stuff in mint condition.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
It is hard to even give away used furniture let alone sell it. You can post on sites like craigslist and maybe someone will buy it and pick it up. Charities might pick it up but they will not pay. They will however give a donation receipt for tax purposes. There are no businesses that will buy and pick up unless it's some really valuable antique stuff in mint condition.
Mongoose65 is pretty much right. Getting any sort of cash for furniture is not an easy task. My parents were looking to get new furniture but wanted to sell their old set. I posted them up on Craigslist for them but only a few people were interested. Most of them wanted the furniture for next to nothing. Its a PITA to get a truck and pick up the furniture, let alone getting someone to help get the furniture onto the truck. Eventually they just gave it away to one of their friends. Your best bet is to take mongoose65's advice and donate it.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Even donating is not easy. I gave a chair to the Salvation Army a couple of years ago. I had heard that they were very picky but I knew that this chair was in perfect condition. I didn't have the space for it any more. They did take it.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 AM

26 posts, read 49,242 times
It is worth if you donate to charity or if to a family which has the need of it. Selling the furniture will not return you a good cost. If you donate to any charity i will be a kind work and will come in good use.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
If you have anything decent (probably solid wood furniture and nothing upholstered), there are tons of consignment shops across Long Island that will likely take your stuff. We even found one to take our old piano after I had read and heard in the news that upright pianos were virtually worthless and were being scrapped. We had expected to pay a couple hundred or more to have the piano moved out and discarded. Instead, we may actually get a check if it's sold. (We really don't care. We're glad to be rid of it.)

For furniture donations, contact Big Brothers/Big Sisters. If you call them today, it may take them a month to get to your area. However, the folks who showed up were as nice as could be and took our sectional and recliner out of the house with as much care as if they were highly paid movers. This was a much better way to go than the franchised junk movers, who will charge you $350 to fill a very small truck.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
If you have anything decent (probably solid wood furniture and nothing upholstered), there are tons of consignment shops across Long Island that will likely take your stuff. We even found one to take our old piano after I had read and heard in the news that upright pianos were virtually worthless and were being scrapped.
So true. My boyfriend's parents had an upright and no one wanted it. I don't remember what they did with it either. And a tv that is not a flat screen? Forget it! No one wants those either. Even if they are in great working condition.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,594 times
Do you have anybody ready to go into contract for your house? We wound up buying a good chunk of the seller's furniture before we moved in for $500. It was super helpful because a) We were a young couple moving into our first house and didn't have furniture already and b) the furniture was already scaled to the house. The woman was in her 80s and downsizing, and didn't want the hassle of having to sell/move the furniture.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
If you have anything decent (probably solid wood furniture and nothing upholstered), there are tons of consignment shops across Long Island that will likely take your stuff. We even found one to take our old piano after I had read and heard in the news that upright pianos were virtually worthless and were being scrapped. We had expected to pay a couple hundred or more to have the piano moved out and discarded. Instead, we may actually get a check if it's sold. (We really don't care. We're glad to be rid of it.)

For furniture donations, contact Big Brothers/Big Sisters. If you call them today, it may take them a month to get to your area. However, the folks who showed up were as nice as could be and took our sectional and recliner out of the house with as much care as if they were highly paid movers. This was a much better way to go than the franchised junk movers, who will charge you $350 to fill a very small truck.
Can you recommend any of these consignment stores, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: