Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 AM

270 posts, read 964,302 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm not new to Long island, but i am new to this site.....:-) My husband and i currently live in Colonial Woods/Whispering Pines in Yaphank, but we are thinking about moving down the line at some point. Our condo is a little on the small side, so we want to upgrade. We like Strathmore on the Green because some of the houses in that development are big, and it looks really nice. Anyone familiar with this development or currently live there? How do you like it?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM

34 posts, read 204,996 times
Jackie,

Judging from the date of your post, I'm sure you've gotten the responses you needed, and may already be living there. If so, congratulations!

My father lived there with his ex-girlfriend from 1995 - 2000. I was in my late teen years at the time and visited often. Strathmore at that time was a beautiful, clean community nestled safely away surrounded by a huge golf course that saw much public activity (though not actually in the development itself).

Proximity to Gordon Heights would probably scare anyone off, but it shouldn't...Gordon Heights practically surrounds the development, but you won't get any riff-raff or gang-related spillover into the development. In my father's 5 years there, the worst offenses came from within the development itself...white trash drunkard of a neighbor (don't know how he managed to afford that gorgeous condo) and a few yuppie winos that caused a ruckus from time to time.

Complex is dog-friendly but you must pick up after your dog when you walk it. No fenced-in yards so you can't really have a yard to play with your dog in, which is a huge drawback. If your dog is a runner then you really won't ever be able to take him/her outside without a leash. Houses are fairly close together...roughly 300 feet apart. If you are friendly with your neighbors it isn't a huge deal...each unit is detached.

The units themselves are gorgeous...very modern construction with huge vaulted ceilings and plenty of skylights. Some units have fireplaces, others do not. Most if not all are 2 story with plenty of room downstairs and up. Huge garage space (for those units with garage) and nice decks (though back then they needed updating).

Crime in the development was at an absolute minimum. The only thing I really remember was the holiday season of either 1998 or 1999, wherein there were at least 6 - 8 reports of break-ins and burglaries. Whether this was committed by individuals from Gordon Heights or people within the complex was not clear, but there were several teens that lived in the complex arrested in connection with at least some of the break-ins. Otherwise, vandalism and whatnot was usually non-existent.

Despite proximity to Gordon Heights, you will rarely have to drive through any areas that are questionable. Strathmore is essentially a diamond in the rough...a pleasant and peaceful little community surrounded by one of the hands-down worst areas in all of Long Island, and I'm talking from the tip of Montauk to the very edge of Manhattan. There is easy access to major roadways and plenty of shopping available (112 runs right near it, a major conduit to majority shopping needs including Wal-Mart, Loew's and Home Depot, etc.)

Being that it has been roughly a decade since I myself have been there, I cannot say how it is now, but if it is anything like it was then, I would highly recommend it.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
This is near Spring Lake, right? Because that's a perfectly fine area that is a good mile or two east of Gordon Heights. Access is off W.Bartlett road, and it's still quite rural looking over there, with Cathederal Pines Preserve nearby and a beautiful golf course.
There's also another private development that looks nice called Birchwood at Spring Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island