Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:08 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times

Advertisements

Sick of Cablevision and can't get FIOS in my area. This is only for those with Direct TV. Do you like the service? How would you compare to CV? Do you get a lot of outages or signals freezing?

I called them a month ago, but was so put off by the customer service rep that I hung up on him. I figured if they were so rude before I was a customer how would they be after they already had me locked in. On the other hand, the amount of money I would save with their current promotion would be pretty significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We have Directv. The service outages when it rains can be pretty annoying. It was bad when we first got it, and then they said they tweaked something and it should improve. And it did. But now we are back to square one. But - I did look at my dish the other day and it looks like it isn't exactly facing the right direction (it's too much sunny-side up, if that makes sense). I need to get it checked.

Mostly what I find now is that if a storm is coming, it goes out BEFORE the storm arrives and stays out for 5-10 minutes and then comes back on. I'm in NC and our climate is more similar to Florida in that storms come up suddenly out of nowhere. I'm not sure what it would be like in NY where you have days that it rains all day. But we have a friend on LI and he has it and loves it and swears he would never have anything else.

I find customer service lacking in all areas of telecom and cable/satellite providers. This is an area where CV actually excels. They people who came to set us up from DTV when we moved in were super-nice, I have to say.

My other advice is get everything in writing. We had some issue with our initial service...can't remember what it what but it was something that sent us all right over the edge of sanity (had to do with getting baseball channels).

Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
My parents have it and they love it. The signal does get lost in extreme rain but its momentary. For Hurricane Sandy, they didn't lose reception ONCE which I thought was amazing. I am considering switching to DirecTV from CV. The only thing is their prices tend to be high.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:25 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
Just a question, what are you going to use for internet access if you dump cablevision, last time I checked Direct's internet was Verizon DSL. DSL is much slower than cablevision internet

Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 AM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
Hello,

I am in North Brookhaven, switched a few months ago from Cablevision to Fios (phone/internet) and Directv. Very happy with the TV service, the picture quality is excellent and the HD DVR blows away anything Cablevision has. The only negative is the one and only PPV I ordered, I didnt like the quality or how you order a movie. Not a big deal I usually use VUDO for quality or Apple for ease of ordering.

Before switching, I was concerned about the weather related issues, but so far not a problem. In fact I was watching tv right up till the time we lost power during Sandy.

As a long time Cablevision customer, I can't tell you how many times we had picture issues, with or without bad weather. I was also frustrated with the number of times I had to call CV about their service and the number times they needed to come out to fix it each year.

Directv pricing structure requires that you have an MBA in accounting when picking a package. With that said, I broke down every discount I could get with D* and over the 2 year contract you will save just a few bucks.

Directv ---

PRO - Great picture quality, great HD DVR boxes, Tiny HD Boxes, Great User Interface,

CONS - Customer Service - ehh, not 24 hours, didn't like the ppv ordering process, very pushy with ordering

FIOS ----

PRO - Extremely Fast Internet, Consistent Speeds - No slowdowns like Cablevision, 2 Year Contract with low fixed price, Professional Installers, not kids with 2 weeks on the job

CON - 2 Year Contract - No TV Available, Customer Service and Ordering not the best

Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Oh, I just remembered the big problem with DTV - if you call them about ANYTHING they will tell you it's done and .... it won't be. So for instance this year I called them to tell them we aren't taking the MLB package. Luckily I called in Feb (you have to call before the 1st game). "OK, no problem" - got my March bill and there was the charge. Again, luckily I caught it before the season started. And of course when you call, they never have any record of your previous call. My sister has had the same issue. Very sneaky. It's gotten to the point now if I have to call them, I just pretend that I'm irate over the issue because I've already called even though I haven't. They are so busy trying to upsell you when YOU call THEM it's ridiculous.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
FIOS ----

PRO - Extremely Fast Internet, Consistent Speeds - No slowdowns like Cablevision, 2 Year Contract with low fixed price, Professional Installers, not kids with 2 weeks on the job

CON - 2 Year Contract - No TV Available, Customer Service and Ordering not the best
How is "2 year contract" (which is not required anymore) on both your pro and con list?

Besides, it's not FIOS's fault that Brookhaven won't allow FIOS TV to come in

Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
A two contract is a dual edged sword. I didn't want to be locked into any service if I could prevent it, especially since I was a Verizon customer in the past for over a decade and I am all to fimiliar with the billing and customer service issues.

I got a really low price from Fios after they played games with the installation. This is going to save me a pretty penny now over two years.

However being an existing VZW customer will exclude me from any future triple play offers. I doubt they will offer it here, I have been waiting for years for tv service. From what I heard Crookhaven has been a major obstacle with the Fios rollout but now I hear Fios is not moving into Suffolk any longer.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:06 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
A two contract is a dual edged sword. I didn't want to be locked into any service if I could prevent it, especially since I was a Verizon customer in the past for over a decade and I am all to fimiliar with the billing and customer service issues.

I got a really low price from Fios after they played games with the installation. This is going to save me a pretty penny now over two years.

However being an existing VZW customer will exclude me from any future triple play offers. I doubt they will offer it here, I have been waiting for years for tv service. From what I heard Crookhaven has been a major obstacle with the Fios rollout but now I hear Fios is not moving into Suffolk any longer.
Fios is still being rolled out at a slow pace in Brookhaven. Brookhaven will NOT have FiOS TV though. VZ gave up a long time ago trying to get the franchise agreement from the town. Blame brookhaven for that. IDIOTS!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Fios is still being rolled out at a slow pace in Brookhaven. Brookhaven will NOT have FiOS TV though. VZ gave up a long time ago trying to get the franchise agreement from the town. Blame brookhaven for that. IDIOTS!
First I'm hearing of this as I don't live in Bhaven. I find it outrageous that the township has been blocking any new penetration by another carrier. Carrier monopolies lead to poor and expensive service. Townships should have no say in diversifying this situation or at the very least, should be helping the consumer (resident) not the carrier.

Our fine country is just so backward when it comes to telecom. See how much high speed and cellular communications cost in other parts of the world, like Japan and South Korea. Lightning fast service for pennies. Our telecoms, like CV and VZW own the FCC and Congress and this is how they get away with such blatant overcharges and poor service. That and the American consumer being such a dimwit have created this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island