Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times

Advertisements

The site with the Whole Foods question reminded me that we were supposed to have a huge interactive supermarket called Stu Leonard's in Farmingdale on Route 110. I think that they even broke ground about two years ago.
I know that Republic had a temporary injunction , but wasn't that ever resolved ? That would be a fun place to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:49 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The site with the Whole Foods question reminded me that we were supposed to have a huge interactive supermarket called Stu Leonard's in Farmingdale on Route 110. I think that they even broke ground about two years ago.
I know that Republic had a temporary injunction , but wasn't that ever resolved ? That would be a fun place to shop.
Cant confirm or deny it but theres been rumors that Stew Leonards had was considering Rocky Point.
Drive in property????

Big doins goin on.

LIBN

October 15th, 2007
A less Rocky Point
In Rocky Point, people are taking their bypass to heart.

Built in the 1990’s, the road that takes traffic around the center of the community’s business district has also steered customers away from shops and restaurants, creating a shortcut to economic malaise.

But now that the residents of Rocky Point - population around 10,000 - are ready for a downtown revitalization, they want to bring traffic into town. So they will try to use the bypass to their advantage, as another way to access - not avoid - Main Street and the business area.

Eric Alexander, executive director of Vision Long Island, said the bypass could be used as a traffic relief valve, which is what it was designed to be, and another way to get into the downtown area from the south. Alexander’s company is currently working with the civic association and the Town of Brookhaven on a vision for Rocky Point’s business district. So far, the visioning has created a buzz and investors may be listening.

With the proposed Tallgrass mixed-use project percolating a few minutes to the east in Shoreham, Rocky Point residents are waking up to the opportunities of smart growth in their own neighborhood, championing Fairfield’s plan for 230 apartments and more housing above stores downtown. Rocky Point Civic Association President Diane Burke said owner-occupied stores and condos above would put more “eyes on the street” and bring new life to a dormant shopping area.

0 Comments
Filed under Rocky Point, Vision Long Island

C

Last edited by clamboy; 10-18-2007 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,939 times
I believe the Stew Leonard's was canned in Farmingdale due to the safety factor. It was in a direct flight path of planes coming & going to Republic Airport.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Cant confirm or deny it but theres been rumors that Stew Leonards had was considering Rocky Point.
Drive in property????

Big doins goin on.

LIBN

October 15th, 2007
A less Rocky Point
In Rocky Point, people are taking their bypass to heart.

Built in the 1990’s, the road that takes traffic around the center of the community’s business district has also steered customers away from shops and restaurants, creating a shortcut to economic malaise.

But now that the residents of Rocky Point - population around 10,000 - are ready for a downtown revitalization, they want to bring traffic into town. So they will try to use the bypass to their advantage, as another way to access - not avoid - Main Street and the business area.

Eric Alexander, executive director of Vision Long Island, said the bypass could be used as a traffic relief valve, which is what it was designed to be, and another way to get into the downtown area from the south. Alexander’s company is currently working with the civic association and the Town of Brookhaven on a vision for Rocky Point’s business district. So far, the visioning has created a buzz and investors may be listening.

With the proposed Tallgrass mixed-use project percolating a few minutes to the east in Shoreham, Rocky Point residents are waking up to the opportunities of smart growth in their own neighborhood, championing Fairfield’s plan for 230 apartments and more housing above stores downtown. Rocky Point Civic Association President Diane Burke said owner-occupied stores and condos above would put more “eyes on the street” and bring new life to a dormant shopping area.

0 Comments
Filed under Rocky Point, Vision Long Island

C
Looks like the developer/property is pushing for a Lowes on the site of the old drive in.

Lowes Plaza at Rocky Point, Lerner-Heidenberg

Old 10-18-2007, 07:29 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Looks like the developer/property is pushing for a Lowes on the site of the old drive in.

Lowes Plaza at Rocky Point, Lerner-Heidenberg
Thanks fully thats been kaiboshed...its going to Mt Siani

C

Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Thanks fully thats been kaiboshed...its going to Mt Siani

C
They had best update their website

Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
There's a Stew Leonard's Wine in Farmingdale. I haven't been there yet. Is it worth the trip? (Although I can't imbibe until March. )

Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
What exactly makes a supermarket "interactive" ? There's a huge Stew Leonard's right off the Thruway in Yonkers that I always pass....it looks scary.

They just built a massive collection of box stores on 110 right across from the driving range, on what I think was formerly SUNY Farmingdale buildings. Maybe it did get built after all?

Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 AM

13 posts, read 86,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
What exactly makes a supermarket "interactive" ? There's a huge Stew Leonard's right off the Thruway in Yonkers that I always pass....it looks scary.

They just built a massive collection of box stores on 110 right across from the driving range, on what I think was formerly SUNY Farmingdale buildings. Maybe it did get built after all?
I think that new development near Republic Airport is a Walmart and a couple of restaurants.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Stew Leonard's is AWESOME! By "interactive" supermarket, it means they have all this robotic stuff for kids. At least, I remember growing up in Westchester, we would make a special trip to Stew's in Ct. I loved it as a kid. I remember they had a giant twinkie, and you'd push a button and he'd talk to you, if you spent $100 at checkout, you got an ice cream cone, a petting zoo, a big train that went around the supermarket... The one in Yonkers is not as good.

They have ALL SORTS of food. Everything you could think of. I would looooove to have a Stew's in LI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island