Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,717 times

Advertisements

Last Wednesday, January 2nd, I took the late night 12:14AM train out of Penn Station headed towards Ronkonkoma. I had just flown into New York from Florida and was tired from my flight. When I got off at Bethpage, I realized I had left my suitcase on the overhead racks. It was a big mistake because nestled within the suitcase was my HD FlipCam, which contained several videos of my four-month-old daughter. Unfortunately, I hadn't had a chance to back up any of these files to a hard drive, so these were my only copies. I filed a report with the Long Island Railroad's Lost & Found. They called me today. When I picked up the suitcase, I looked through and realized the camera (and a few Blu-Rays) had been stolen out of the bag.

I am overcome with guilt for my careless mistake. I would do anything to get those videos back. They covered so many special, early moments in my daughter's life. So, I'm taking a shot in the dark here.

My suitcase was a dark green carry on bag with brown trim - a rolling suitcase. The FlipCam is and HD Flip Cam, Black, with a drive on the side. The most recent videos were of my daughter celebrating Christmas.

If you took it, or if you know who took it, please find it in your heart to return it. If you do, I will pay you more than the worth of the camera itself. Even if you just give me the video files, I will pay for those. I will not press charges. I will not inform the police. I just want those videos back.

If you buy a camera at a pawn shop, and it has these videos on it, please, again, find it in your heart to return it. I will gladly pay for a brand new replacement camera if this is the case. Whatever it takes to get these videos back.

Like I said, it's a shot in the dark, but I'm really hoping for the best.

Email me at s.salepast@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
Dude, I hope you recover your video...

My heart goes out to you.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
I may not know who you are, but I'll say a special prayer for you tonight when I go to bed. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
If its left up on the rack, then its unlikely anyone stole it...its probably stored in the MTA's lost and found which keeps items for 2 years.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,717 times
thanks everyone for your nice words. nexis, it was at the lost and found and i claimed it. the problem is someone went through it before they turned it and stole the camera. joe, funny, but it's just a lot of family videos.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 AM

169 posts, read 500,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven381 View Post
the problem is someone went through it before they turned it and stole the camera. joe, funny, but it's just a lot of family videos.
Only in New York will someone steal something valuable from you and return the bag they stole it from...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I'm sorry for your loss but an HD flip is almost worthless (been thru two of them already) so I wouldn't hold out much hope of return. Sorry about that.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven381 View Post
thanks everyone for your nice words. nexis, it was at the lost and found and i claimed it. the problem is someone went through it before they turned it and stole the camera. joe, funny, but it's just a lot of family videos.
I wish you luck in it's return as I sort of know how you feel. Except me the idiot taped the 1986 Giants vs Redskins Playoff game over our oldest's 1st Birthday.I never removed tab from vcr tape. I ate cold shoulder and hot tongue at dinner for a month.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I just got through backing up my kids' videos onto an external hdd in case the DVDRs ever go bad. I still watch some of those videos from time to time. My heart goes out to you. Best of luck.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
If its left up on the rack, then its unlikely anyone stole it...its probably stored in the MTA's lost and found which keeps items for 2 years.
The suitcase was returned but missing the flip cam and Dvds.
I wonder with all this 'see something, say something' if the person who checked it out to make sure it wasn't rigged didn't lift it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island