Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2018, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,935 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Copiague for 27 years. It's an extremely segregated and honestly strange neighborhood. The southern parts by Montauk Highway can be decent and is actually "diverse" racially. Deauville Gardens is the best of the three elementary schools. This area is mostly safe but Tanner Park attracts transient weirdoes and drunks in the summer months.

North of Oak Street/LIRR is less than desirable, this is where the majority of the Hispanic residents are. It's not all Hispanics but near the Middle and High schools is mostly Hispanic. Spanish is spoken more than English from here on and points north. Near the LIRR is especially bad as this is where most of the gang members and transient types are. Expect multiple Hispanic families living in one household, often illegally. Recently a number of the local delis in this area were raided by police as they were involved in illegal activities such as gambling, selling drugs/alcohol to minors, and even allowing animals like roosters in the stores. Oh, and expect lots of loud music and fireworks in the summer. Which is my number 1 complaint as I live in this area near the border between here and Lindenhurst. You can clearly hear the music on the Lindenhurst side too. The cops will do nothing about it so don't bother calling.

North of Sunrise is, as noted, very poor. Mostly poor black/hispanic residents, no businesses really in this area, nothing to do. Again, the theme is lots of transients and people walking around doing nothing. It's a very dangerous area.

The school district is very poor, one of the worst in either Nassau or Suffolk County, at least by test scores. There are students from Copiague, Lindenhurst, North Amityville, sometimes you'll even get students from East Farmingdale or North Babylon. I do not know why the school districts send all of their dead weight to Copiague but that's what it has become. Gang and drug activity is higher than ever there. This town can't be fixed. I absolutely don't recommend buying in Copiague for families, or really anybody that is not Hispanic anymore. The town is lost to them. We're getting out while we still can, in Florida but if we were to stay on LI it wouldn't be anywhere near here or in Nassau.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Florida?
I'd rather take my chances in Copiague.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:56 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Make no mistake north copiague north of sunrise is the very definition of the “hood”. South of sunrise is fine.
What about this area?: Census Tract 123202 in Suffolk County, New York
Block groups: Census Block Group 123202-1 in Suffolk County, New York
Census Block Group 123202-2 in Suffolk County, New York
Census Block Group 123202-3 in Suffolk County, New York
Census Block Group 123202-4 in Suffolk County, New York

Old 04-14-2018, 06:49 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
When people say "Copiague - North of Sunrise", I really wonder where exactly they're referring to? North Amityville zoned for Copiague schools? All of North Amityville?

As far as the parts of North Amityville zoned for Copiague schools:

- The "Flat Top" neighborhood is known to be pretty hood. Fair enough.
- I always thought of the "40 blocks" as being ok. My dad grew up in the 40's so that's my understanding of it.

- There's a new neighborhood called Paramount Oaks in North Amityville (zoned for Copiague schools) which has large luxury homes and a slightly older neighboring development known as "New Homes" which is also pretty nice and (mostly) zoned for Copiague schools. These neighborhoods are off of Albany Ave near the Town Pool.

- Then you have the tree streets all the way near the Southern State Parkway (also zoned for Copiague); which is pretty quiet and safe.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
When people say "Copiague - North of Sunrise", I really wonder where exactly they're referring to? North Amityville zoned for Copiague schools? All of North Amityville?

As far as the parts of North Amityville zoned for Copiague schools:

- The "Flat Top" neighborhood is known to be pretty hood. Fair enough.
- I always thought of the "40 blocks" as being ok. My dad grew up in the 40's so that's my understanding of it.

- There's a new neighborhood called Paramount Oaks in North Amityville (zoned for Copiague schools) which has large luxury homes and a slightly older neighboring development known as "New Homes" which is also pretty nice and (mostly) zoned for Copiague schools. These neighborhoods are off of Albany Ave near the Town Pool.

- Then you have the tree streets all the way near the Southern State Parkway (also zoned for Copiague); which is pretty quiet and safe.
Thanks for the information.

What is interesting is that the “40 blocks” are actually in the census block group in that census tract with the highest median household income, according to that source.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks for the information.

What is interesting is that the “40 blocks” are actually in the census block group in that census tract with the highest median household income, according to that source.
I would take the census tract data with a grain of salt.

Visibly, the nicest and best-maintained areas of North Amityville are the neighborhoods south of the town pool. North Amityville usually gets worse as you get closer to Sunrise Hwy.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-14-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Oh I thought that was considered North Amityville, I would agree that area is hood
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Common misconception.
In terms of "hamlets", the Hamlet of Copiague is entirely south of Sunrise Highway. However, some parts of North Amityville have a "Copiague, NY" mailing address or send their students to Copiague schools.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:20 AM

38 posts, read 30,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fklhkhjflkh View Post
North of Oak Street/LIRR is less than desirable, this is where the majority of the Hispanic residents are. It's not all Hispanics but near the Middle and High schools is mostly Hispanic. Spanish is spoken more than English from here on and points north. Near the LIRR is especially bad as this is where most of the gang members and transient types are. Expect multiple Hispanic families living in one household, often illegally. Recently a number of the local delis in this area were raided by police as they were involved in illegal activities such as gambling, selling drugs/alcohol to minors, and even allowing animals like roosters in the stores. Oh, and expect lots of loud music and fireworks in the summer. Which is my number 1 complaint as I live in this area near the border between here and Lindenhurst. You can clearly hear the music on the Lindenhurst side too. The cops will do nothing about it so don't bother calling.
Thank you for your post. My wife and I considered buying in Copiague as there are some newer homes being built closer to the train station. On the surface, the area closer to the train station is going through a revitalization, but who knows if that will be successful in attracting professionals and young couples to that area of Copiague. I almost talked myself into buying, but then I saw the delis being raided, drove by oak st. at odd hours, and started digging into police reports. Some of the yards looked like a trash dump with all sorts of tires, garbage, etc. strewn about. The last straw was all the complaints about music/fireworks during the summer. From our research, we found your assessment to be spot on. Builders are buying up cheap lots and putting up some nice houses south of Dixon and north of Oak St., but it's a risk that you could have the nicest house in a not great neighborhood if you move there. Wasn't worth it for us.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
In terms of "hamlets", the Hamlet of Copiague is entirely south of Sunrise Highway. However, some parts of North Amityville have a "Copiague, NY" mailing address or send their students to Copiague schools.
Yeah, the Copiague zip code 11726, as well as the school district I believe, extends north of Sunrise and takes in a portion of what otherwise would be considered to be North Amityville. That is why companies in the area (where New Highway comes into Sunrise) like for instance, the Educational Bus Company, say they are in Copiague even though they are north of Sunrise.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I would take the census tract data with a grain of salt.

Visibly, the nicest and best-maintained areas of North Amityville are the neighborhoods south of the town pool. North Amityville usually gets worse as you get closer to Sunrise Hwy.
I’m not trying to argue or maybe I’m just confused/incorrect, but isn’t this the “40 blocks” area given the names of the streets?: Census Block Group 123202-3 in Suffolk County, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island