Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM

18 posts, read 114,476 times

Advertisements

Is it normal for Banks to inquire about your occupation after you make a large deposit (in cash)? My wife and I got married and had a ton of gifts in cash. We opened a new savings account at chase and deposited it all at one time. About a month later (today), the bank called and asked what my occupation was. I asked why but she wouldn't give me a straight answer.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM

I should also mention that one of the bills was counterfeit when we made the deposit originally. (Different story all together - I we are still trying to pinpoint who the guest was!)

Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
They are supposed to fill out paperwork for deposits over $10K. Did they do that while you were there (if it was that much)? If not, it may be a CYA move now.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM

159 posts, read 408,314 times
All part of the Patriot Act and KYC (know your customer). This should have been done when you first opened the account. They also should be upfront why they are asking you for this info.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM

Yes it was 19,900 in cash ($100 being confiscated). I don't believe I filled out any paperwork aside from signing the $100 counterfeit note for SS.

Thanks for the information couldn't find anything on the net. I don't mind giving the information out considering I also hold a business account with them however they just seemed very odd about the entire thing. After giving the information she pretty much just hung up the phone on me saying OK THANKS BYE.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker21 View Post
Is it normal for Banks to inquire about your occupation after you make a large deposit (in cash)? My wife and I got married and had a ton of gifts in cash. We opened a new savings account at chase and deposited it all at one time. About a month later (today), the bank called and asked what my occupation was. I asked why but she wouldn't give me a straight answer.

Any ideas?

I'm a banker so I will tell you, yes, they ask for the occupation of all those affected by the cash deposit that is over $10,000.01. It's called a Currency Transaction Report. It also applies to cash withdrawals that are over $10,000.01. If you deposited all the cash at one time then they should have asked you right then and there, especially since it was at account opening--not a month later. Just an fyi-if you ever have large cash deposits or withdrawals in the future, don't break up the transaction to avoid the filing. You can search Currency Transaction Reports on the Internet. It's public information.

Congrats on the wedding!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM

13 posts, read 40,165 times
Your first mistake was opening an accout with Chase....$19,000 in cash, leave it there for 5 yrs and you'll have 17k left after account/bank fees. They ask what you do because the banks control everything. They wanna make sure they didnt lose out on a piece of that 20k you have....they wanna know where when and how you got it because they want to keep it all for themselves!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker21 View Post
I should also mention that one of the bills was counterfeit when we made the deposit originally. (Different story all together - I we are still trying to pinpoint who the guest was!)
Sounds like a fun crowd

Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm a banker so I will tell you, yes, they ask for the occupation of all those affected by the cash deposit that is over $10,000.01. It's called a Currency Transaction Report. It also applies to cash withdrawals that are over $10,000.01. If you deposited all the cash at one time then they should have asked you right then and there, especially since it was at account opening--not a month later. Just an fyi-if you ever have large cash deposits or withdrawals in the future, don't break up the transaction to avoid the filing. You can search Currency Transaction Reports on the Internet. It's public information.

Congrats on the wedding!
Great - thanks for the info!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REELAXED View Post
Your first mistake was opening an accout with Chase....$19,000 in cash, leave it there for 5 yrs and you'll have 17k left after account/bank fees. They ask what you do because the banks control everything. They wanna make sure they didnt lose out on a piece of that 20k you have....they wanna know where when and how you got it because they want to keep it all for themselves!
What other options did I have? Or do you mean should have gone with a credit union or something?

Need to start showing Savings Balance for the purchase of a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island