Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
See if you can get some university-subsidized housing on campus and put the rent savings toward a car. You will be lost in suburbia without your own wheels. And there's no train station near Hofstra. It's 15 degrees here today. I drive by the bus stops in my warm car and pity the poor souls who have to wait out in the cold. Can you imagine depending on Nassau's truly lousy bus system? And don't even think about walking from Hofstra to the Hempstead railroad station. It's a long walk and, given the sketchy atmosphere there at night, you'll probably be running . . . away from a mugger or worse.

Long Island has very limited night life for young people, but with a car, it's a quick trip from the campus to Rockville Centre. Another decent area for night life is Huntington, but you won't get there if you're limited to public transportation. Trust me. If you have to sacrifice something, give up thoughts of the apartment, hole up in a dorm and get a car.
Solid advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I have to ask one more question: why are you coming all the way east to Hofstra when you could stay in your Chicago apartment and go to school there?

I mean no offense, but to be blunt, Hofstra is no great shakes as an educational institution. If you have a great apartment in a great location, I can't imagine that you could possibly get a better education at Hofstra than you can in a Chicago institution. Also, if you haven't yet been on or around the Hofstra campus, you had better take a look before you commit to anything. I think it's a pretty bleak place to go to school.
Agreed. Overpriced for what you get. The location rots too. It's bordering a suburban ghetto.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 PM

23 posts, read 49,989 times
Yea, you guys are right about a lot. I think at this point I would def choose Boston over anywhere in Long Island, but honestly I was only considering Hofstra because it's close to Queens (where I love the diversity and have friends around Astoria and Jackson Heights). As for Camden, I know that the city is one of the worst but I planned on living in Philly close to City Center if I went there. I like Philly too and know ppl who went out there during undergrad and it's cheaper housing than Boston I feel. I'm currently in a Chicago program for what I'm studying, but I don't like it and I'd prefer to move back East to transfer since that's where I planned on going after graduation anyway.

Thanks for all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island