Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
I wish they would cut property taxes... by 30%. Then I could be happy.

The decrease would be inline with the decrease of economic activity on LI (less cash) and the abysmal level of services we presently enjoy, like pock-marked roads.

I know, when he11 freezes over.....
Pock marked roads- HA. You havent experienced a real pock marked road unless you have driven Atlantic Avenue all the way from the Belt Parkway/South Conduit entrance to Court Street, Brooklyn. Now THAT is a pock marked road! And I have never seen it get paved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Long Island, that strange place jutting east from New York City for 100 miles, was once the very symbol of America’s postwar future, of youth and growth, and is now the opposite of that. It is an old suburb that ran out of places to sprawl, was badly hit by recession a decade ago and again in the latest downturn, and is feeling its age.
Does anybody have any info on the demographic changes during this time period (it sounds like they're talking about the last 50 years)?

Scanning this article and this thread, I found nothing.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Pock marked roads- HA. You havent experienced a real pock marked road unless you have driven Atlantic Avenue all the way from the Belt Parkway/South Conduit entrance to Court Street, Brooklyn. Now THAT is a pock marked road! And I have never seen it get paved!
I used to live in Brooklyn... drove that area many times. Thought my old Volvo would break driving under the BQE, around Tillary. Actually, the cities streets are smoother than I can ever remember. Back in July, I got lost in the Bronx and I have to say, the streets were pretty smooth. Far better then I ever remember. Quite a juxtaposition to our heavily worn-out roads.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
You must not have driven on Atlantic Avenue in a while. The section from Conduit to Pennsylvania Avenue was repaved a few years ago.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You must not have driven on Atlantic Avenue in a while. The section from Conduit to Pennsylvania Avenue was repaved a few years ago.
I drive to Brooklyn prob once a month..last time I drove through there was this past November. The area from PA Ave to Court St is still a mess. The roads through Queens aren't as horrible as those through East NY bu they are still in bad shape compared to the super smooth surfaces on the Northern State or MSP which seem to get paved every year.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Things will never change here. It will always be status quo. Cost of living will always be on the rise. There is no magic bullet that will take out all the waste spending and corruption. It is what it is. For those making enough money to live comfortably LI probably is a decent place to live. For those barely getting by(or not getting by) living here can be a miserable experience. I think all the little things add up and compound the normal day to day stress and struggles. In the middle of a tough day at work you get a call from home that Lipa turned the power off so now you are already in a bad mood because you have no power and have to figure out how you are gonna scrounge up the money because you have none because you just barely paid the mortgage, so of course driving home in bumper to bumper traffic with needle almost on "E" is just going to aggravate you that much more especially because you get another call from home asking to pick up a gallon of milk which you will have to pay with 2 bills and the rest change you just dug out from under the seat but before you can pay for the milk you have to wait on line for 11 minutes while some jackass can't make up his mind which numbers to play or which scratch-offs he wants.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Things will never change here. It will always be status quo. Cost of living will always be on the rise. There is no magic bullet that will take out all the waste spending and corruption. It is what it is. For those making enough money to live comfortably LI probably is a decent place to live. For those barely getting by(or not getting by) living here can be a miserable experience. I think all the little things add up and compound the normal day to day stress and struggles. In the middle of a tough day at work you get a call from home that Lipa turned the power off so now you are already in a bad mood because you have no power and have to figure out how you are gonna scrounge up the money because you have none because you just barely paid the mortgage, so of course driving home in bumper to bumper traffic with needle almost on "E" is just going to aggravate you that much more especially because you get another call from home asking to pick up a gallon of milk which you will have to pay with 2 bills and the rest change you just dug out from under the seat but before you can pay for the milk you have to wait on line for 11 minutes while some jackass can't make up his mind which numbers to play or which scratch-offs he wants.
Wow. I'm moved.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Even for those who are making the big bucks, as long as your fortunes are not tied to the region, why bother? Why bother with some of the issues you outline, like LIPA, like heavy traffic that's ubiquitous through our area and like the omnipresent line, which we wait and wait in.

Why not leave for a simpler, easier lifestyle? I will.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Even for those who are making the big bucks, as long as your fortunes are not tied to the region, why bother? Why bother with some of the issues you outline, like LIPA, like heavy traffic that's ubiquitous through our area and like the omnipresent line, which we wait and wait in.

Because not everyone is as angry, bitter, and miserable as you are. I don't drive in hours of traffic each day(30 min tops unless there is an accident) or wait on huge (omnipresent???) lines. Overall I'm happy on LI, my family is happy here. If that ever changes I will leave, it's as simple as that.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:

Unless you have solid employment lined up, there are no guarantees it will be "simpler and easier." There's no free lunch. It should ultimately be less stressful and the potential for simpler, easier and MORE prosperous are probably better now in many places other than here for all the reasons we discuss ad nauseum. The systemic mess is so deep here. The taxes alone are a backbreaker with no relief in sight so making the same money or close and cutting those in half is already a nice chunk of peace of mind. Still, some people make big moves better than others. I can be in the wind in a minute. My wife is rooted like a tree. Unless salaries are guaranteed elsewhere I'm stuck shaking the political trees here and if the shiny happy content LI lovers don't like it well they can kiss my frozen heiney!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island