Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM

72 posts, read 218,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
That sucks.

Tell him to reach out to his mortgage lender asap and tell them of the hardship. More than likely they will work with him.
He is in banking. Mortgage company will not do anything until payments cannot be made. They won't do much after that except maybe a modification which won't matter anyway if he doesn't find work. I can only imagine not having the severance. I think he'll find something but I can guarantee it will be in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magillicuddy View Post
He is in banking. Mortgage company will not do anything until payments cannot be made. They won't do much after that except maybe a modification which won't matter anyway if he doesn't find work. I can only imagine not having the severance. I think he'll find something but I can guarantee it will be in Manhattan.
Was he laid off from a Long Island job or a Manhattan job?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
And I'm surprised they still buy houses when renting is more attractive.

I think this $150K is about another friend, not the one who was laid off.
Thank God for the severance.

Unfortunately, this has become a familiar story in finance and banking circles.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM

72 posts, read 218,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Was he laid off from a Long Island job or a Manhattan job?
Long Island.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
The country not just LI will never learn. We have become a society of wants (and gets) first and foremost and leave little to nothing to "save" for. Before I get a lot of hate responses, I am speaking in very broad terms and I don't live under a rock. Why is a salary of $150 thousand not enough to live on? Because they have the "I've arrived" car in the driveway, maybe two, the I phone, I pad, Ipod, a cable bill of a gazillion dollars, designer clothes, vacation in exotic places etc. A family of 4 should be able to make it on LI on that salary, provided they did not over reach when they bought a home.

I am a child of the 50's. The very first time I was on a plane was when Dad was potentially going to be transferred and we were sent by the company to check out Syracuse N.Y. He wound up staying on LI. Our family vacations were to the Catskill Game Farm, Gaslight Village, & Freedom Land to name a few. We lived from paycheck to paycheck and mom didn't work. We had what they could afford to give us and loved all that we had.

Today is very different. I overheard a conversation in the store this past Christmas season, between a father and his two children, one boy and one girl, I am guessing to be 9 and 11 years of age respectively, and I am sure the look of horror on my face gave me away.

Dad: What you would like for Christmas?

Girl: Let's get this straight so you don't exhaust yourself shopping!!! I want the I phone 5, not the 4, got it!!! Followed by, If I don't get it, I am not going to be very pleasant to live with!!!!

Boy: If you are thinking about not getting it for me, you had better think twice, I tell you.
MIZZZZZ-RRRRRRRR-EEEEEEEEE will follow.

I know my mouth could have caught flies!!!

I have friends, who by their words are financially stable, not off the charts, but able to pay their bills on time and are above water. They planned to take the kids on a "real" vacation this spring break to the Islands. They were able to do it on frequent flier miles and a rewards program in addition to some smart spending. The kids were so excited and thankful at Christmas when the last present the both girls opened was a little suitcase for their trip. These kids have always only done "my '50's" vacations, like Hershey Park or Sesame Place. They are still going, despite the girls missing a little school. I am sure it will be a vacation not only appreciated but remembered and later on the kids will understand the sacrifice the parents made to make it possible.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Why is a salary of $150 thousand not enough to live on? Because they have the "I've arrived" car in the driveway, maybe two, the I phone, I pad, Ipod, a cable bill of a gazillion dollars, designer clothes, vacation in exotic places etc. A family of 4 should be able to make it on LI on that salary, provided they did not over reach when they bought a home.
We don't know the whole story. My guess is they were probably thinking about college costs and retirement.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
For 150 they should have the trappings of having made it.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
/\/\

It depends on what assumptions they make re. college while raising a family under LI's COL.

I know for myself that it doesn't have to cost so much to get a good college education; certainly not to the extent of having to transfer wealth. But many Americans (NYers in particular) are programmed to think they must spend top money for college.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
The country not just LI will never learn. We have become a society of wants (and gets) first and foremost and leave little to nothing to "save" for. Before I get a lot of hate responses, I am speaking in very broad terms and I don't live under a rock. Why is a salary of $150 thousand not enough to live on? Because they have the "I've arrived" car in the driveway, maybe two, the I phone, I pad, Ipod, a cable bill of a gazillion dollars, designer clothes, vacation in exotic places etc. A family of 4 should be able to make it on LI on that salary, provided they did not over reach when they bought a home.

I am a child of the 50's. The very first time I was on a plane was when Dad was potentially going to be transferred and we were sent by the company to check out Syracuse N.Y. He wound up staying on LI. Our family vacations were to the Catskill Game Farm, Gaslight Village, & Freedom Land to name a few. We lived from paycheck to paycheck and mom didn't work. We had what they could afford to give us and loved all that we had.

Today is very different. I overheard a conversation in the store this past Christmas season, between a father and his two children, one boy and one girl, I am guessing to be 9 and 11 years of age respectively, and I am sure the look of horror on my face gave me away.

Girl: Let's get this straight so you don't exhaust yourself shopping!!! I want the I phone 5, not the 4, got it!!! Followed by, If I don't get it, I am not going to be very pleasant to live with!!!!

Boy: If you are thinking about not getting it for me, you had better think twice, I tell you.

I have friends, who by their words are financially stable, not off the charts, but able to pay their bills on time and are above water. They planned to take the kids on a "real" vacation this spring break to the Islands. They were able to do it on frequent flier miles and a rewards program in addition to some smart spending. The kids were so excited and thankful at Christmas when the last present the both girls opened was a little suitcase for their trip. These kids have always only done "my '50's" vacations, like Hershey Park or Sesame Place. They are still going, despite the girls missing a little school. I am sure it will be a vacation not only appreciated but remembered and later on the kids will understand the sacrifice the parents made to make it possible.
... and the attitude of those two little animals is probably the same during the school day. Yes, I knock teachers occasionally but also know I would last a microsecond teaching a classroom

Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:

There are lot of variables that go into a family's budget these days. Just because someone 'needs' to make $150k doesn't necessarily mean they're living life large. Besides covering everyday expenses, huge property taxes, and some of the highest utility rates in the US, there are retirement funds (assuming you're not a public servant), insurance premiums, and safety fund savings, all of which really add up. With the regional economy what it is, 6 months of savings is probably underestimating. After taxes, there's not too much left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island