Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 08:00 PM

258 posts, read 456,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
And LI is so difficult to leave. People from NJ go to NYC far more than LIers do.
This is going to sound silly, but the fact that the only way off is to either take an expensive ferry or cross traffic highways to one of the few tolled crossings into the most congested city in the world is one of the primary reasons I decided I wanted to move in a few years. Yes, the COL sucks and the taxes are high, but the location and the fact that I hate feeling so trapped is a huge reason to me. Westchester has even higher taxes, but I love the location and how it's convenient to all - NYC, CT, LI, and NJ.

That being said there are things I like. The island was designed the wrong way though, and it's going to be very difficult to fix it now. Road, rail, and crossings have to be improved, but NIMBYs and already existing buildings and property are going to make that near impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 09:08 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You are absolutely correct except for the fantasy part. The fantasy becomes reality when inevitably the county goes into bankruptcy and receivership, which is as certain as the night is dark
But by the time the county is in bankruptcy, it's already too late. Since property taxes are the income model for the counties, schools, libraries, etc. that would usually mean the well has run dry. For that to happen, we property tax payers would no longer be able to afford these deeply regressive levies. Many homeowners would have to seek bankruptcy protection as well.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
This is going to sound silly, but the fact that the only way off is to either take an expensive ferry or cross traffic highways to one of the few tolled crossings into the most congested city in the world is one of the primary reasons I decided I wanted to move in a few years. Yes, the COL sucks and the taxes are high, but the location and the fact that I hate feeling so trapped is a huge reason to me. Westchester has even higher taxes, but I love the location and how it's convenient to all - NYC, CT, LI, and NJ.

That being said there are things I like. The island was designed the wrong way though, and it's going to be very difficult to fix it now. Road, rail, and crossings have to be improved, but NIMBYs and already existing buildings and property are going to make that near impossible.
Not silly at all. One of the MANY reasons that we left.

I live in the Eastern Midwest and people here visit NYC more than Long Islanders of the same background.

Also, it's easier to go anywhere in the US.

Since moving here we have driven to - Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Niagara Falls,many places in upstate NY., Chicago, Vermont and Canada.

More, but I thought I'd give the highlights. No conversion of traffic, bridges, tunnels or tolls.

Just smooth sailing and easy driving.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Ok here is my beef with this article. Ok I understand completely how cost of living is high on LI and housing/taxes go up while wages are stagnant. Blah, Blah, BLAH.

Yet... stores at RF mall are packed to the gills, waiting lines at places like Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden and Red Lobster, even more "pricier" restaurants like Ruth Chris' steakhouse are packed with long waiting times; lines at Walmart and Target are long 90% of the time. People of all ages and income levels are dining with no problems paying food bills of over $30-100 a pop. Hmm... Yea, no recession there.

I have a hunch that people like to complain about some of these things because if people really had trouble paying their mortgages or unable to buy a decent starter house due to 'low' income on Long Island, they wouldn't be going out to eat every weekend at Outback steakhouse or leasing that 2015 Lexus SUV. This is just my observation.
If I was going anecdotal I'd probably not use the chain restaurants at the mall and the budget box stores as examples... just sayin

Regardless, I get your point about the spending angle. But you have to admit it's alot easier for those established already. Everyone has their own opinion of a "decent starter house" and sacrifices are subjective.
To each his own.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:

When did the LIRR quit running?

Old 07-11-2015, 12:14 AM

258 posts, read 456,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
When did the LIRR quit running?
Every day. *rimshot*

Old 07-11-2015, 09:34 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:

It doesn't sound silly at all. Once I left the Island and started living on the mainland of the US, I realized how easy it was to travel anywhere by car. Highway driving is pleasant and interesting.

I also miss some things about LI. But looking back, the bad out ways the good. I am glad that I left.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
It doesn't sound silly at all. Once I left the Island and started living on the mainland of the US, I realized how easy it was to travel anywhere by car. Highway driving is pleasant and interesting.

I also miss some things about LI. But looking back, the bad out ways the good. I am glad that I left.
the time to destination is the same, just that it takes 3 hours to drive 200 miles instead of 3 hours to drive 60 on a bad commute day.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Ok here is my beef with this article. Ok I understand completely how cost of living is high on LI and housing/taxes go up while wages are stagnant. Blah, Blah, BLAH.

Yet... stores at RF mall are packed to the gills, waiting lines at places like Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden and Red Lobster, even more "pricier" restaurants like Ruth Chris' steakhouse are packed with long waiting times; lines at Walmart and Target are long 90% of the time. People of all ages and income levels are dining with no problems paying food bills of over $30-100 a pop. Hmm... Yea, no recession there.

I have a hunch that people like to complain about some of these things because if people really had trouble paying their mortgages or unable to buy a decent starter house due to 'low' income on Long Island, they wouldn't be going out to eat every weekend at Outback steakhouse or leasing that 2015 Lexus SUV. This is just my observation.
People will line up to eat out until they can't, and then the drop is often sudden.

BTW, I wouldn't put Outback (or any other place advertising "All you can eat" of anything) up there as fine dining, or leasing a car as a sign of wealth. So those lines at Red Lobster may be at the cost of lines at restaurants that server, let's say, better cuisine.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 PM

137 posts, read 194,323 times
I love these threads. Everyone on LI at the mall or Ruth's Chris is of course living paycheck to paycheck but the people at the mall in the new gated expat utopias all have massive overflowing savings accounts they use at the mall and pay in cash. It's such a joke. America and US culture is that EVERYONE (figuratively) is leveraged to the gills. LI is still living off Wall St. If not the actual trader jobs, then the nice boons to 401ks and general expendable income boosts coming from fed and state aid to schools and local govts. Come stock correction time, bundles of retail and housing will take a beating and foreclosures will rocket. Nothing new. It's the new normal in America. LI won't be the only one, just the most predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island